PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Effortlessdepths

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 7, 2020
Micanopy, FL
These blends are either good on their own or as a mixture to up the nicotine of milder blends:

Cornell & Diehl Cube Cut Burley
Peter Stokebbye Cube Cut Burley
Tried PS cube cut, very tasty and huge amounts of smoke, just not enough nicotine. Never had C&D's cube cut offering though.

Effortlessdepths

Feb 7, 2020
Micanopy, FL
Your list looks a lot like my list, except Irish Flake. And, thank you for reminding me about Pegasus. I have some way back in the cellar that I need to drag out and see how it's aged. It's been a while.
Me and the Peg didn't work out at first. I think I might have gotten bitten by it, or somehow hadn't smoked it the way it's meant to be smoked. However, after some time getting to know it, it's one of my favorites. Quite possibly it just needed time to settle in a jar, because it doesn't taste like when I first tried it. It's a solid all day for me, with enough nicotine and depths to please, but can also be a light and forget for me too. As far as Irish Flake, I didn't like it at first because it didn't stay lit easily and I didn't care for the topping, but it's been jarred for almost 2 years, and after that it actually become more subdued and manageable. Not in my all time favs really, but a surprising comeback, so to speak.

Reactions: cosmicfolklore

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I also like C&D Tuggle Hall and Stratfordshire, an English with burley, and Bayou Night. SP Potlatch has about six tobaccos well harmonized, including burley, as does HH Chestnut, inspired by the long discontinued Walnut. SWRA is burley based with Virginia as a condiment and flavored with three liqueurs, pretty chi-chi for a codger tub blend, but also available in a pouch. Royal Yacht is Virgnia based and has no burley at all (so far as I know) but is burley reminiscent to me, with that secret sauce. Plum?

Reactions: Effortlessdepths

Effortlessdepths

Feb 7, 2020
Micanopy, FL
Thanks everyone for the replies. If you all think of anything else don't hesitate to post it here. I appreciate it very much, I'm really trying hard to stock my cellar with blends I know I will like.

pip01

Apr 3, 2018
NJ
I recommend the following: (these are all my favorites)

Solani Aged Burley Flake
HH Burley Flake
HH Old Dark Fired
GLP Barbary Coast
GH Dark Birds Eye
GH Dark Flake Unscented or Scented (if you like nicotine it does get much stronger than this)
Golden Extra
Peterson Irish Flake

I personally do not care for any of the C&D Burley offerings.

Effortlessdepths

Feb 7, 2020
Micanopy, FL
Billy Budd and Bow Legged Bear are mid to high strength, if you're okay with a bit of latakia (and cigar leaf in the former) with your burley. Two of my favorites.
I don't smoke lats very often but when I do, it's Billy Budd and Stratfordshire. I'll have to check out bow legged bear!

carlomarx

Can't Leave
Oct 29, 2011
State College,PA
I'm not familiar with the brands that the gang has suggested but I'm sure they're all worthy of trying. I'm going to suggest Boswell's Premium Burley. I enjoy a variety of tobacco but I lean towards burley. I'm a fan of Boswell's in general especially his burleys.

Reactions: Effortlessdepths
Status
Not open for further replies.