PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Effortlessdepths

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 7, 2020
Micanopy, FL
I've asked this before, but I was curious if you fine folks could suggest some more Burley blends for me. Recently I went on an all Virginia kick, and I definitely appreciate them more now. But after lighting up a bowl of 4 year aged Picayune (thanks @aguineapig !) I realize that burleys are still my Heart-Leaf. I've enjoyed:
Picayune, two timer, C&D Burley flakes, HH Burley flake, Ryback, Five Bros, C&D Pegasus, Irish Flake, C&D Big n Burley, Semois, and OJK.

I will add that I'm not interested in mild (nicotine wise) Burley blends. Anything medium or higher. I also don't mind light toppings. Any suggestions? Anything that really stands out to you as a great smoke?

Reactions: cosmicfolklore

J.Henry845

Sep 22, 2019
Dutchess County, NY
Amphora Burley Blend, Wessex Burley Slice, Solani Aged Burley Flake, and Mac Baren Golden Extra can be all day smokes.

For Dark Fired heavy blends you can try Mac Baren HH Bold Kentucky and HH Rustica, as well as G&H Dark Birdseye. All are higher up on the nicotine scale but I rarely feel any effects due to years of a 2 pack a day smoking habit.

You may want to pick up some of the G&H and SG ropes if you are looking for nicotine. They are made with dark Fired & dark air cured Virginia but do not have your typical VA taste/strength profiles.

stokesdale

Apr 17, 2020
Stokesdale
I've asked this before, but I was curious if you fine folks could suggest some more Burley blends for me. Recently I went on an all Virginia kick, and I definitely appreciate them more now. But after lighting up a bowl of 4 year aged Picayune (thanks @aguineapig !) I realize that burleys are still my Heart-Leaf. I've enjoyed:
Picayune, two timer, C&D Burley flakes, HH Burley flake, Ryback, Five Bros, C&D Pegasus, Irish Flake, C&D Big n Burley, Semois, and OJK.

I will add that I'm not interested in mild (nicotine wise) Burley blends. Anything medium or higher. I also don't mind light toppings. Any suggestions? Anything that really stands out to you as a great smoke?
My go to burley is C&D Burley Flake #2...I'm assuming by your post that you have already tried that?

Your list looks a lot like my list, except Irish Flake. And, thank you for reminding me about Pegasus. I have some way back in the cellar that I need to drag out and see how it's aged. It's been a while.

Effortlessdepths

Feb 7, 2020
Micanopy, FL
Amphora Burley Blend, Wessex Burley Slice, Solani Aged Burley Flake, and Mac Baren Golden Extra can be all day smokes.

For Dark Fired heavy blends you can try Mac Baren HH Bold Kentucky and HH Rustica, as well as G&H Dark Birdseye. All are higher up on the nicotine scale but I rarely feel any effects due to years of a 2 pack a day smoking habit.

You may want to pick up some of the G&H and SG ropes if you are looking for nicotine. They are made with dark Fired & dark air cured Virginia but do not have your typical VA taste/strength profiles.
Never tried amphora or wessex, but I did order some Solani ABF and it tasted of mold, though I got the sense that it was a batch issue. I'll give it another go later this year so I can get a different batch. As for Golden Extra, it didn't ring my bell nicotine wise, which is a must for me. Doesn't have to always be strong, but medium level nic hit is important to me.
Once again I forgot to mention another of my favorites is HH Rustica, definitely not the strongest I've had but very close, and very interesting flavor. I usually smoke one bowl a month with a cigarette smoking friend of mine, just to keep it in his head that cigs aren't the only means of transportation for Lady N! And HH Bold Kentucky will have to be on the next order. Just ordered Kendal dark and Dark Birdseye, so we'll see how those turn out.... I have a feeling I will like them. Never had dark air cured/fired VAs before so that should be interesting.

Status
Not open for further replies.