PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 2, 2020
Louisiana
While we are loitering in the bathroom, I do like to find the alphabet on whatever bottle/product is in reach while taking a poo. VERY smug feelings when that elusive 'J' and tricksy 'X' allow me to get right through to 'Z'.
At least I know that you’re reading shampoo bottles and not posting to the forum whilst “busy.” I’d hate to have a mental image of you on the throne while I read your posts... aww hell!

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Crazy hilarity with my wife about almost anything -- just waking up and me answering our smart speaker's request for a grade (one to five) on cat treats, and me pausing as if giving it some serious analysis and finally anointing the cat treats with a four. We hadn't even had coffee and we were howling. I didn't know what cat treats " she" was talking about. Life as Broadway comedy.

Gender equality? I think in Western culture, pipes are a man thing, just by chance. I admire the women who wade in here, hope they forgive us our rowdy jive. (Don't think women don't get bawdy among themselves. My late wife taught at a women's school and, holy smoke, some of the stuff you could overhear.)

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
(Don't think women don't get bawdy among themselves. My late wife taught at a women's school and, holy smoke, some of the stuff you could overhear.)
Oh god my last job had two other guys in our two offices in town. The questions I got asked about my love life still can make me blush. Woman are way more like the guys then we think they are. Honestly as weird as it sounds I think I know understand some of the issues woman face better just because I've been through it.

Mar 1, 2014
I eat everything with chopsticks. Do get strange looks at some restaurants. My younger one once asked if I eat soup with chopsticks.

Here's another quirk I picked up recently. My intention is to visit China sooner or later, and developing the correct muscle memory is a prerequisite of travelling.
After forbidding forks for a few months, now it feels like the fork is bad at most things but still nice for a few tasks.
Scooping up or stabbing your food with a fork feels clumsy for almost every dish, until you get to the end. It's the last straggling bits that drive me nuts, if you only try to eat off a plate then chopsticks will be a nightmare.
The solution is "Don't Eat Off A Plate".
From what I've gathered watching Asian people eat (an entire genre of entertainment at this point), the utility of the "Spoon and Fork" is practically replaced with a small bowl that almost all of your food is normally eaten out of.
The bulk of your meal is held in a larger serving bowl, and that is divided into portions for the smaller bowl which you hold in one hand while snatching up food with the chopsticks in your other hand.
The great thing here is it reveals an inefficiency of normal western manners, the "fork" has to travel exponentially farther to do it's job, and has a high likelihood of failing and soiling your clothes.
In its natural habitat, chopsticks barely move at all to bring food to your mouth, the bowl is nearly under your jaw the whole time, spilling is virtually impossible.
And thus, food items are often combined with broth to wash the last little bits out of your bowl.

Unfortunately I still haven't figured out any way to eat ice cream with chopsticks.

Reactions: bullet08

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
Here's another quirk I picked up recently. My intention is to visit China sooner or later, and developing the correct muscle memory is a prerequisite of travelling.
After forbidding forks for a few months, now it feels like the fork is bad at most things but still nice for a few tasks.
Scooping up or stabbing your food with a fork feels clumsy for almost every dish, until you get to the end. It's the last straggling bits that drive me nuts, if you only try to eat off a plate then chopsticks will be a nightmare.
The solution is "Don't Eat Off A Plate".
From what I've gathered watching Asian people eat (an entire genre of entertainment at this point), the utility of the "Spoon and Fork" is practically replaced with a small bowl that almost all of your food is normally eaten out of.
The bulk of your meal is held in a larger serving bowl, and that is divided into portions for the smaller bowl which you hold in one hand while snatching up food with the chopsticks in your other hand.
The great thing here is it reveals an inefficiency of normal western manners, the "fork" has to travel exponentially farther to do it's job, and has a high likelihood of failing and soiling your clothes.
In its natural habitat, chopsticks barely move at all to bring food to your mouth, the bowl is nearly under your jaw the whole time, spilling is virtually impossible.
And thus, food items are often combined with broth to wash the last little bits out of your bowl.

Unfortunately I still haven't figured out any way to eat ice cream with chopsticks.
Chinese does that. Not Koreans nor Japanese. I can pick up a grain of rice with a pair of chopsticks. That fast eating with bowl right up your face is not suggested in most Korean and Japanese tables :)

Mar 1, 2014
Chinese does that. Not Koreans nor Japanese. I can pick up a grain of rice with a pair of chopsticks. That fast eating with bowl right up your face is not suggested in most Korean and Japanese tables :)

What you're thinking of is just the way Westerners probably think is the way Japanese people eat.
www.youtube.com/watch?v=uhs30vkXlAE

Now in the case of Yuka Kinoshita, she does eat most things leaning over the table, but she's also eating a few Kilos at a time: www.youtube.com/watch?v=dWlZpGSxl8k

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
What you're thinking of is just the way Westerners probably think is the way Japanese people eat.
www.youtube.com/watch?v=uhs30vkXlAE

Now in the case of Yuka Kinoshita, she does eat most things leaning over the table, but she's also eating a few Kilos at a time: www.youtube.com/watch?v=dWlZpGSxl8k
I grew up in Korea until I was 12. If we eat like that we would be yelled at. However, when you are in very casual situation, things are different. There are many levels of formality. When you are with your parents, grandparents, colleagues, seniors.. And in each case, way you should behave is different. Some families are much less strict about these things. Some are very strict. They won't say at your face but if you behave like that in video some would think "very rude".

But I know in main land China, these things doesn't matter all that much. I heard after cultural revolution old ways went out the window. Taiwan, they are much more formal and traditional.

Reactions: frozenchurchwarden
Mar 1, 2014
I grew up in Korea until I was 12. If we eat like that we would be yelled at. However, when you are in very casual situation, things are different. There are many levels of formality. When you are with your parents, grandparents, colleagues, seniors.. And in each case, way you should behave is different. Some families are much less strict about these things. Some are very strict. They won't say at your face but if you behave like that in video some would think "very rude".

But I know in main land China, these things doesn't matter all that much. I heard after cultural revolution old ways went out the window. Taiwan, they are much more formal and traditional.

To clarify, I'm still just talking about whether or not you hold a bowl in your left hand.
Are you saying in your experience the dish never leaves the table when you eat?

I think my descriptor of "Barely Moves At All" was a bit of an exaggeration, though carrying food just a few inches is still exponentially less than the distance of the table to the mouth of someone sitting fully upright, in relative terms "Almost Nothing" can be any distance depending on the scale.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.