PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
EDIT: Fixed Capitalization in Title (See Rule 9)

I have a handsome, beautiful black bent billiard by Vauen but the stem is stuck. Being a spigot- parts are in this case silver- I'm not sure how to proceed. Tried hot water and later also continued smoking it- man that filter must be outrageous by now.... But it hasn't gone sour yet. Would like to clean the mortise and take filter out!

Last edited by a moderator:

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
I have a handsome, beautiful black bent billiard by Vauen but the stem is stuck. Being a spigot- parts are in this case silver- I'm not sure how to proceed. Tried hot water and later also continued smoking it- man that filter must be outrageous by now.... But it hasn't gone sour yet. Would like to clean the mortise and take filter out!
Have you tried putting it in the freezer?

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
Then grip ferrule and stem with these :
51dCzdaxtBL._AC_.jpg

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Been reluctant to try that, in part due to the same material in mortise and stem should shrink/expand at same rate.

Hoping for another idea. Hell, WD-40??

dmcmtk

Lifer
Aug 23, 2013
I'm going to also say freezer. I took a look at a Peterson's Spigot (mid '70's) and while the male part was sterling, the female part was briar. Of course Vauen could be different.

Reactions: smudgersmissingleg

bluegrassbrian

Your Mom's Favorite Pipe Smoker
Aug 27, 2016
Louisville
While it does contain a percentage of mineral oil, WD-40 makes for a poor lubricant. It’s primary function is in the name... water displacement.
It’s mostly kerosene.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
I was jesting on the WD-40; it'd be very last thing, after all else, save maybe the acetylene torch.

But wouldn't mineral oil be too viscous to flow into the space between the stem and mortise? .

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
While it does contain a percentage of mineral oil, WD-40 makes for a poor lubricant. It’s primary function is in the name... water displacement.
It’s mostly kerosene.
Hey! Someone else knows!! It was invented to displace water on NASA dry fuel cells.

Reactions: dmcmtk

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
I was jesting on the WD-40; it'd be very last thing, after all else, save maybe the acetylene torch.

But wouldn't mineral oil be too viscous to flow into the space between the stem and mortise? .
Butcher block or mineral oil is fairly aqueous. ?

I really would try the freezer it should work.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
I’ve used the freezer successfully on standard mortise and tenon joins, and I don’t see how it would be less effective on army mounts.

Yes, it worked fine, though it was a spigot, not a military mount.

I don't know why I was so reluctant to try that. I thought the silver on silver would expand/contract at the same rate, but on re-thinking, the mortise, as it shrinks, expands the hole, while the tenon part shrinks as it cools. Both in small fractions of a millimeter.

Thanks, boys; success!

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Addendum: Most of my spigots do not have metal lining the mortise; only one does.

So, on the Vauen, also a briar mortise, I scraped out a bit of gunk in the mortise, wiped, applied a touch of mineral oil, and am off and running again with a happy face. Will put a very light touch of beeswax on the stem fitting.

Status
Not open for further replies.