Stubby, Chubby Billiards... What’s All the Fuss??

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Status
Not open for further replies.

unclemax

Lurker
Nov 23, 2017
Hey Fellas.. just a simple question, as the title implies. I’m not knockin the shorties (<5”), it’s just a size that I’ve never bought or tried. They seem really cool and practical, but am I gonna be left wanting more?? Wonderin if any of you pipers have a favorite. This Castello is a good example of what I’m referring to. This one’s just under 4.5”. I‘d love to add one, but geez... I dunno. Thanks, fellas. Appreciate any feedback.4B74062C-DD2F-406B-A1CD-F3544B2BE9B4.jpeg

Reactions: jpmcwjr

Misanthrope

Can't Leave
Apr 26, 2020
Texas
I like fun-size pipes myself. No real reason other than the looks and proportions are pleasing to me, and they smoke just as well as my longer pipes.

Reactions: unclemax

Gecko

Can't Leave
Dec 6, 2019
Sweden
Short stubby pipes look cool, sort of like small muscly dog like a Frenchie or Staffy.
In my experience they may smoke a bit hotter so be careful with cadence.
My main gripe with the short Peterson Outdoor I have is that there isn't enough tenon to take up the incline on the bit so it's too steep a transition and not comfortable for clenching.
peterson.png

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Short stubby pipes look cool, sort of like small muscly dog like a Frenchie or Staffy.
In my experience they may smoke a bit hotter so be careful with cadence.
My main gripe with the short Peterson Outdoor I have is that there isn't enough tenon to take up the incline on the bit so it's too steep a transition and not comfortable for clenching.
View attachment 46717
Never cared for a tapered stem myself. Always a saddle or half saddle.?

Reactions: Gecko

Seamaster

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 16, 2020
Scotland
Pokers make better stubbies than billiards, IMO. Aesthetically, at any rate. Something about the poker form factor that just works in compact dimensions.

Interesting info on the Peterson Outdoor above, Gecko, I have occasionally had a notion to pick one of those up.

musicman

Lifer
Nov 12, 2019
Cincinnati, OH
I think this is just the latest trend in pipe smoking, much like the trend towards fat ring sizes in cigars about 10 years ago (See Nub). I personally prefer a longer pipe, just because I feel I inhale less second-hand smoke than in these shorties. I have two short pipes, the OMS poker in my profile pic, and a Bones hangin' Brandy. The Poker probably isn't short enough to really be considered a shorty, and the Bones gets smoked in specific situations, such as when I'm on a hike or otherwise in the outdoors.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I've had a few, and found them lacking by my taste. The ones I've had were too heavy and as mentioned, the short transition makes them awkward to clench. Two of the ones tried were reverse calabashes. They were hot five years ago, but now seem to have dropped out of sight.

Merton

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 8, 2020
Boston, Massachusetts
While the beauty of the pipe is in the eye of the beholder, i say try one one and you may be hooked. Over the years i have migrated from very large pipes to a point now where i almost exclusively smoke stubby/chubby pipes. The Castello 10 and the Radice equivalent are both great examples of how a full size pipe can be rendered in a pocket size frame. Both smoke great and, to my eye, are rugged little gems of beauty. While it seems to me that the Castello wood is better(and certainly a lot more expensive) that the Radice stem work is much better. Radice now even produces some chubby pipes with colorful ebonite stems which are incredibly well done and are easy to clench. The narrowing of the stem to the bit important in the chubby pipes (they are short not small or dainty) and, as a prior poster pointed out , if not done correctly it can be a real nuisance. One other word of caution, two ounces is the absolute max on these pipes. For me, it has to be lower than two ounces. A chubby pipe between 4.45 and 4.85 in length with a weight in the 1.60 to 1.85 ounce, preferably with an uncoated bowl is, for me, the perfect pipe.

Reactions: Gecko and unclemax

unclemax

Lurker
Nov 23, 2017
No here, occasional smoke in the eyes is bad enough from a standard length pipe. I've never seen a nosewarmer with a 2 inch deep chamber either.
Chasher... that's exactly why I haven't added a shortie over the years. I really like the practicality, but I have to be able to enjoy them first!!

Reactions: edger

unclemax

Lurker
Nov 23, 2017
Pokers make better stubbies than billiards, IMO. Aesthetically, at any rate. Something about the poker form factor that just works in compact dimensions.

Interesting info on the Peterson Outdoor above, Gecko, I have occasionally had a notion to pick one of those up.
Looking at Pokers got me down the stubby rabbit hole lol! Maybe I need to climb back out?? I'm trying to round out my small collection, and Pokers & Nose-warmers are two shapes that I don't currently have. I've seen some 5.5"-6.25" Sitters that look pretty nice. Seamaster.. which Pokers catch your eye the most? Thx much!!??

unclemax

Lurker
Nov 23, 2017
I've had a few, and found them lacking by my taste. The ones I've had were too heavy and as mentioned, the short transition makes them awkward to clench. Two of the ones tried were reverse calabashes. They were hot five years ago, but now seem to have dropped out of sight.
Hear ya, Jonesy!!

unclemax

Lurker
Nov 23, 2017
While the beauty of the pipe is in the eye of the beholder, i say try one one and you may be hooked. Over the years i have migrated from very large pipes to a point now where i almost exclusively smoke stubby/chubby pipes. The Castello 10 and the Radice equivalent are both great examples of how a full size pipe can be rendered in a pocket size frame. Both smoke great and, to my eye, are rugged little gems of beauty. While it seems to me that the Castello wood is better(and certainly a lot more expensive) that the Radice stem work is much better. Radice now even produces some chubby pipes with colorful ebonite stems which are incredibly well done and are easy to clench. The narrowing of the stem to the bit important in the chubby pipes (they are short not small or dainty) and, as a prior poster pointed out , if not done correctly it can be a real nuisance. One other word of caution, two ounces is the absolute max on these pipes. For me, it has to be lower than two ounces. A chubby pipe between 4.45 and 4.85 in length with a weight in the 1.60 to 1.85 ounce, preferably with an uncoated bowl is, for me, the perfect pipe.
See, I want it to work, but after some thought am afraid they're just too short. They look really cool, but their practicality probably isn't practical for "me". Maybe I'll pick up a cheapy to test drive first. Ha!.. if this is my biggest issue right now, then I'm doin awright haha!!

Merton

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 8, 2020
Boston, Massachusetts
Max, here's a thought: buy a Radice with an acrylic stem. You will spend less than $200 and you will get a handmade, very well drilled pipe which you can stick in a jacket pocket and will serve you well for years. Perhaps it will become for you a favorite like it has for me or maybe it will be a great pipe for a specific occasion or circumstance. You can buy them cheaper but, if you can afford it, the Radice is the way to go first to see if you like the style of pipe.

Status
Not open for further replies.