PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 6, 2019
AL/GA
I collected some pounds of no nic tobacco.. I usually want a cigarette right after I put my pipe down, and I get bored with these blends. I only buy stronger blends now, but this is a policy I've just adopted.

I kept listening to these guys say nicotine doesn't really matter, but that has not yet been the case for me.. a little over a year in. Nicotine is the reason I'm smoking, to some extent.

elnoblecigarro

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 27, 2020
A blend needs to have good taste and enough nicotine to feel like I'm smoking a pipe. But if you only smoke pipe for nicotine and not for flavor there are far more efficient delivery methods than pipe smoking (assuming you don't inhale that is).

For me taste comes first and nicotine second, but if either one is lacking too much it's not good. Both are needed for a full and satisfying experience.

chopper

Lifer
Aug 24, 2019
I was hopelessly addicted to cigarettes and switched to a pipe to escape that slavery of craving for a hit every 30 minutes.
Now I intentionally choose blends with mild nicotine [JimInks reviews made that task of choosing blends blind much easier]

Now I smoke for pleasure rather than addiction and can go hours without a puff and not even notice when otherwise occupied.
It would be nice to enjoy a stronger blend from time to time but getting that monkey off my back was hard work so it's not worth the risk.

Those who can enjoy nicotine without issue then good for you. Enjoy.

edger

Lifer
Dec 9, 2016
Mayer AZ
An economist would tell you that it's impossible to know what factors into someone's utility (i.e. value) that they get from pipe tobacco. If my favorite uncle smoked nothing but Lane 1-Q and I got an intense rush of nostalgia and happiness from smoking 1-Q, it might be the "best value for the money" for me.

If I loved the flavor of Ennerdale, and the smell of it made my wife want to make out with me, it would be the best value for the money for me.

I'm glad strong tobacco is the best value for you. But that in no way implies it's that way for everyone.
We should listen to economists more often on everything. My favorite is Thomas Sowell, a national treasure.

Pipewizard420

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 28, 2020
I also love nicotine (cigs, pipe, dip, and nasal snuff) and consider myself quite strung out on the stuff, however, can enjoy a blend no matter what the nicotine content may be. Some excellent choices have barley any nicotine at all and think that if nicotine is what you are after Pipe Tobacco would not be your best choice for delivery IMO. As long as you enjoy it that's all that matters.

Casual

Lifer
Oct 3, 2019
NL, CA
Ok, I’ll defend the OP from all the bizarre Econ 101 students, bringing up the lesson that value is subjective. Here’s what the OP said:

If you smoke a pipe for nicotine and pure tobacco flavour[…]

And then we learn from respondents that lots of people don’t just value tobacco by “nicotine and pure tobacco flavour.” Congratulations! The OPs post was that IF you do, then here’s a good value that he’s found. He’s already covered off the subjective value lesson in the first word of the first clause of the first sentence of the post.

Ok, I’ll defend the OP from all the bizarre Econ 101 students, bringing up the lesson that value is subjective. Here’s what the OP said:

And then we learn from respondents that lots of people don’t just value tobacco by “nicotine and pure tobacco flavour.” Congratulations! The OPs post was that IF you do, then here’s a good value that he’s found. He’s already covered off the subjective value lesson in the first word of the first clause of the first sentence of the post.
True, nuances of the language tend to fly over heads on forums. Some of us have mastered the English language, and some of us not do good English good. puffy

But, we are like a Viking hoard. Sometimes, the mere mention of nicotine, and we’re all... “SHEILD WALL!!!”

We could create a committee to investigate the groupthink, but it would unanimously declare that there was no groupthink.
We couldn’t even agree on a committee. The cob boys would complain that it cost too much. The Dunnie boys would demand a stipend. And, half the members would deny even being members. And, the sponsors would all pack their bags and leave in fear that it would be discovered that our combined IQ would deem us a Title 1 forum, qualified for special services.

rajangan

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 14, 2018
Edmonton, AB
Dictionary is best book to read. It’s cheap and has all the words.
Years ago I lived in a crappy apartment and there was a sign by the grassy area next to the parking lot that said "no paking". I went to the library and looked up "pak" in the unabridged Oxford. It turns out, a pak is, in Hong Kong English, a car which has been stolen and resold.

Status
Not open for further replies.