PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Ah, the late great fish'n'banjo sent me my one and only Meerschaum that I enjoy for its clarity and definition of flavors -- it's a straight billiard with grape vine etchings on the bowl. For repair of your pipe, an odd idea came to mind that you need to scrutinize, as I'm sure you would. Since there are threads involved, if they are tracking at all but not tightening, I wonder if plumber's tape would secure them. If it were my pipe, I'd prefer a regular push-in stem, but that would take some know-how working with Meer. I sent fish' back a tin of Escudo he said was one of his favorites. Oops, I see others have the same idea ... great minds.

• Love
Reactions: Sloopjohnbee

Sloopjohnbee

Lifer
May 12, 2019
Atlantic Coast USA
Ah, the late great fish'n'banjo sent me my one and only Meerschaum that I enjoy for its clarity and definition of flavors -- it's a straight billiard with grape vine etchings on the bowl. For repair of your pipe, an odd idea came to mind that you need to scrutinize, as I'm sure you would. Since there are threads involved, if they are tracking at all but not tightening, I wonder if plumber's tape would secure them. If it were my pipe, I'd prefer a regular push-in stem, but that would take some know-how working with Meer. I sent fish' back a tin of Escudo he said was one of his favorites. Oops, I see others have the same idea ... great minds.
Does yours have a threaded tenon? What's it made of?

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
Send it to Briarville as they are the Condor/Weezell officially endorsed 24 hour meerschaum repair shop! I remember Fish and Banjo beat me to a very old 'cutty' on Ebay once and then published pictures of him smoking it! I have not seen that surface for sale and if it does I would very much like to purchase it not only as a memento of a truly great man but as a gift for a chum of mine. If anyone knows anything about it please do PM me.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
wintergarden, yes my Meer has a threaded tenon of some kind of synthetic, perhaps plastic but looks a bit like silicone. I replaced the little gasket between the stem and the shank with a small plastic ring off some kind of packaging, to make it more secure, after trying a ring of felt that I made myself that didn't tighten as securely. I was pleased to finally smoke a Meer and appreciate its special traits. I had an interesting go around with an assistant at my local pipe shop who tried to pull a guilt trip when I said I'd cleaned out the Meer under the tap. This had been mentioned on Forums as acceptable, so I barely blinked, and the pipe shop owner tacitly agreed by not joining in. So I've had some good adventures with my Meer.

Boychek

Lurker
Sep 23, 2020
Mine has the same kind of tenon that MSO's meer has.
Dear Jiminks, I have the type described by MSO, but in 9mm. I off the screw on the delrin; then, put the delrin that been in the meerschuam block itself into the stem; and, applied teflon tape
about the delrin to have an easy secure stem to mortise fit. As I believe that your pipe isn't a 9mm, you could insert a 9mm adapter (i.e., converter from 9mm to 3mm).

Now, if the inner dimensions of your delrin insert don't present the good fortune that i had,
here's something in the aftermarket that may do the trick:
The very best to you; and, thank you for all the countless hours that i've enjoyed
reading your comments and reviews plus your great interviews.

Yours truly, boychek

Reactions: JimInks

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Dear Jiminks, I have the type described by MSO, but in 9mm. I off the screw on the delrin; then, put the delrin that been in the meerschuam block itself into the stem; and, applied teflon tape
about the delrin to have an easy secure stem to mortise fit. As I believe that your pipe isn't a 9mm, you could insert a 9mm adapter (i.e., converter from 9mm to 3mm).

Now, if the inner dimensions of your delrin insert don't present the good fortune that i had,
here's something in the aftermarket that may do the trick:
The very best to you; and, thank you for all the countless hours that i've enjoyed
reading your comments and reviews plus your great interviews.

Yours truly, boychek
Thank you for the information, and the very kind compliments.

Reactions: Sloopjohnbee

Sloopjohnbee

Lifer
May 12, 2019
Atlantic Coast USA
On this topic - Anyone on here know if it would be suitable to use a thin layer(if you can fit it) of teflon/umhw tape as lubricating buffers of metal thread systems, for all the time use? I feel like it is useful to protect and guard from stripping - on the other hand it can cause pressure issues, heat issues, swelling and cracking ; advisable or only when necessary - what do you think?

Status
Not open for further replies.