PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
No need to choose between smooth and rusticated anymore. You can have both!

Absolutely!
cTPQuK0.jpg

VeXDgAf.jpg

Sonorisis

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 24, 2019
I love the looks of smooth pipes. But, for me, they're hard to hold onto -- they're slippery. For smoking, a deep blast or rustication is much more comfortable in-hand. A deep ring-blast is the most interesting look to my eye.

Reactions: SpookedPiper

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
I have to know, what are these two?
The first pipe was made by Ken Barnes, who trained at Charatan under Barry Jones, co-founded James Upshall, and who recently returned to making pipes after taking a break from the business. This is a "K" grade, of which there are only 2 that I know of. I own one and Rick Newcombe owns the other one. Ken ranks as the finest cutter of his day, and can still find the grain like no one else. His work represents the great tradition of the English Straight Grain.

The second pipe is the work of the American carver, Paul Tatum. He stopped carving many years ago to focus on his career as a materials engineer for NASA. But before he stopped he produced a body of work that is highly personal and idiosyncratic. I own a half dozen of his pipes, every one of them highly unique in design and execution, and every one of them superbly constructed.

I created a page on Pipedia about Paul's work.

ofafeather

Lifer
Apr 26, 2020
Where NY, CT & MA meet
If I had to choose, craggy blast wins, especially ring grain. Of course there are many amazing finishes and I would never lock myself into one, including rusticated. One really cool finish was when Ashton made Pebble-Shell, which was rusticated then blasted or maybe vise versa. The texture was so unique and amazing. I had a great Rhodesian but ended up having to part with it when cash was tight. Don’t think I even have a picture.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Ken posts here from time to time, right? Are his new pipes made under his name? Always loved charatans and upshalls!
Ken does post here from time to time. The new pipes are made under his name. You can find them at Scandpipes or contact Ken to inquire about commission work.

I just heard from him and he's keeping busy carving commissioned pipes.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I enjoy deep grain on a sandblast, which I have with my Ser Jacopo Dublin. You can count the grooves by brail. However, I also like the much more subtle sandblast, for example on a Tsuge so-called tasting pipe billiard. It has definite texture but in a quiet serene way. On smooth finishes, I like both straight and birdseye, and especially where they both exist in one pipe, and it is also how the grain, whatever pattern, joins with the shape of the pipe. Not grain, but another natural pattern in wood that I value is plateau, one of the best attributes of freehand pipes, that is pleasing to see on the brim and more so both on brim and shank.

mtwaller

Lifer
Nov 21, 2018
Atlanta, GA
I like a nice deep sandblast with loads of ring grain, that’s nearly all I’ve been buying lately. If I’m going smooth, I greatly prefer super dense cross grain/Birdseye. I’ve never been a huge fan of straight grain, even though I know they’re coveted and typically command higher prices.

Reactions: ofafeather
Status
Not open for further replies.