PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

brooklynpiper

Part of the Furniture Now
May 8, 2018
I like birdseye but sometimes it comes at the sacrifice of wobbly grain on another side of the pipe. Oftentimes we see artisan carvers leave very nice birdseye on the rims - for a long time since smoking in the city is so restrictive I was always worried about wind, but nowadays I wouldn't care.

I like really deep craggy and hate the shallow blast stuff. I want ring grain deep as a plumber's crack.

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
I choose both! Haha, I have a Moretti Volcano that has amazing straight grain on the sides and incredible birdseye on the bottom, so it can be done! Although, to play along I would choose the straight grain for sure. There's just something about it that screams strength and symmetry.

Here are my best (or at least favorite) examples of each, the aformentioned Moretti Volcano has the best straight grain of any pipe I own (and some find birdseye on the bottom), and below that is a W.O. Larsen with the best birdseye (even on the shank!) of anything in my collection, followed by my favorite "craggy" pipe, surprisingly, a new push tenon Kaywoodie Relief Grain Poker Churchwarden:

dbe6c61e-91fc-479e-a162-b5d24592eca1.jpg
426f266c-6052-4b7f-9908-6c6668f83311.jpg

Birdseye 3.jpg
Birdseye 2.jpg
71bfe802-3ee9-496e-98d0-89fcc505e08b.jpg
91c1e2de-7bfa-4bc5-aa61-29f15416699c.jpg
bf4cac96-4c00-400d-b92e-986ff38a5d72.jpg

Jan 29, 2020
Ellsinore, Mo.
I like birdseye but sometimes it comes at the sacrifice of wobbly grain on another side of the pipe. Oftentimes we see artisan carvers leave very nice birdseye on the rims - for a long time since smoking in the city is so restrictive I was always worried about wind, but nowadays I wouldn't care.

I like really deep craggy and hate the shallow blast stuff. I want ring grain deep as a plumber's crack.

I like deep craggy too. I have an old pipe on the way from Bulgaria as we speak. Has really nice rings. Not sure how old it is and never seen the 6 point crown on the stem before either. Was worth the $22 just for a project.Screenshot_20200126-184640.png

Jan 29, 2020
Ellsinore, Mo.
I choose both! Haha, I have a Moretti Volcano that has amazing straight grain on the sides and incredible birdseye on the bottom, so it can be done! Although, to play along I would choose the straight grain for sure. There's just something about it that screams strength and symmetry. Here are my best examples of either, the aformentioned Moretti Volcano has the best straight grain of any pipe I own (and some find birdseye on the bottom), and below that is a W.O. Larsen with the best birdseye (even on the shank!) of anything in my collection:

View attachment 17677
View attachment 17678

View attachment 17675
View attachment 17676
Nice pipes!!!

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska

Some of the master's of that deep blast out there are truly spectacular. Namely J.T. Cooke and Lee Von Erck. Their blasts are just truly spectacular looking.

I don't have favorite finishes, but I definitely have favorite pipes.

I sure like the feel and good looks of this one and it is quickly becoming one of my favorites.

It's a John Calich Gnarly Billiard from 1983 I bought as an Estate pipe recently. It's a Lovely Smoker and that is what is most important to me.

Often, higher quality pipes and smokability go hand in hand, but the finish of a pipe doesn't play much of a role in smokability .
calich gnarly Billiard.jpg

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
I don't have favorite finishes, but I definitely have favorite pipes.

I sure like the feel and good looks of this one and it is quickly becoming one of my favorites.

It's a John Calich Gnarly Billiard from 1983 I bought as an Estate pipe recently. It's a Lovely Smoker and that is what is most important to me.

Often, higher quality pipes and smokability go hand in hand, but the finish of a pipe doesn't play much of a role in smokability .
View attachment 17680
Cool little shank accent!

python

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 8, 2009
Maryland
pipesmagazine.com

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
Here a few good examples I own:
Don Carlos Magnum.jpg
A Don Carlos 2 Note Magnum
Sav Autograph.jpg
Savinelli Autograph Volcano

Don carlos freehand.jpg
Another Don Carlos 2 Note Freehand. Beautiful straight as well as bird's eye on the top.

S.Bang.jpg
A S. Bang with both a nice sandblast and to die for bird's eye on top. The picture does not do it justice.

But like I said, if they don't smoke I don't keep them. All of these are 10 out of 10 smokers.

Jan 29, 2020
Ellsinore, Mo.
I choose both! Haha, I have a Moretti Volcano that has amazing straight grain on the sides and incredible birdseye on the bottom, so it can be done! Although, to play along I would choose the straight grain for sure. There's just something about it that screams strength and symmetry.

Here are my best (or at least favorite) examples of each, the aformentioned Moretti Volcano has the best straight grain of any pipe I own (and some find birdseye on the bottom), and below that is a W.O. Larsen with the best birdseye (even on the shank!) of anything in my collection, followed by my favorite "craggy" pipe, surprisingly, a new push tenon Kaywoodie Relief Grain Poker Churchwarden:

View attachment 17677
View attachment 17678

View attachment 17675
View attachment 17676
View attachment 17682
View attachment 17683
View attachment 17684
You really shouldn't have bought me that black one. You just met me ?

Status
Not open for further replies.