PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

pappymac

Lifer
Feb 26, 2015
Deertongue contains coumarins, chemicals that may thin the blood and cause liver damage. Coumarin is a colorless crystalline solid with a sweet odor resembling the scent of vanilla and a bitter taste

In manufacturing, deertongue extracts are used to flavor tobacco, as a fragrance in cosmetics and soaps, and as a fixative in some products.

Warfarin – a coumarin – with brand name, Coumadin, is a prescription drug used as an anticoagulant to inhibit formation of blood clots, and so is a therapy for deep vein thrombosis and pulmonary embolism

tomnernas2ndson

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 27, 2011
Nebraska
You can purchase deer tongue at most herbal stores. I buy it at the site mentioned earlier, and have 6 ounces of it in a mylar bag. Mix it sparingly with cube cut burley and you have a good tobacco.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I don't know the pharmaceutical research on deer tongue, but from what pappymac says, I would say, stay away from it especially if you are taking anything for blood pressure, or heart or cardiovascular issues, or liver problems. It sounds like an issue in itself, but also in relation to anything you might be taking for these conditions. If you are younger, and don't have any known issues, I'd still consider your own family history, to not get anything started.

May 2, 2020
Louisiana
I don't know the pharmaceutical research on deer tongue, but from what pappymac says, I would say, stay away from it especially if you are taking anything for blood pressure, or heart or cardiovascular issues, or liver problems. It sounds like an issue in itself, but also in relation to anything you might be taking for these conditions. If you are younger, and don't have any known issues, I'd still consider your own family history, to not get anything started.
Unless there are underlying health issues or conflicting medications or something, I don’t see a real concern, personally. Of course, everyone should make up their own mind about it. Here’s one article about it.

Reactions: canucklehead

SoddenJack

Can't Leave
Apr 19, 2020
West Texas
Recently purchased a tin of Gentleman Caller out of curiosity. Haven’t tried it yet, but did open the tin and jar it. I’ve read lots of people describe it as a vanilla aroma, but to me it has more of menthol/camphor slightly medicinal aroma. Maybe it will develop a more vanilla aroma when it’s smoked.

May 2, 2020
Louisiana
Recently purchased a tin of Gentleman Caller out of curiosity. Haven’t tried it yet, but did open the tin and jar it. I’ve read lots of people describe it as a vanilla aroma, but to me it has more of menthol/camphor slightly medicinal aroma. Maybe it will develop a more vanilla aroma when it’s smoked.
Smells like a combination of clover, mint, and honey to me. I suppose there is a vanilla-like component in there, but I agree, it’s not the same as actual vanilla. More herbal.

Reactions: rajangan
I think of it as "pipey" smelling. It also has different aromas depending on what it is blended with. You've probably stepped on it your whole life it if you live anywhere East of the Mississippi. It grows just about everywhere. It is also known as a red lettuce, and it looks different depending on what stage of growth it's in.
I can tell when I hit it with the lawnmower, because you'll get that herbally smell in the air. But, you can find it damn near everywhere.
1596734806279.png
1596734826335.png
1596734875401.png

Last edited:

nukesimi

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 25, 2016
I bought some Deer Tongue from Amazon, and left a review about my smoking experience. It was promptly deleted. I still have the stuff and I added some to an old blend made by Ed's Pipe Shop in Southern California. Initially the blend had Deer Tongue, but they removed it, which I promptly re added. I think the blend was called "Special." I still have some left, I should give it a tasting.

Reactions: Country Bladesmith

rajangan

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 14, 2018
Edmonton, AB
Deer tongue that we smoke is Carphephorus odoratissimus. I tried growing it, but it proved very difficult as it needs a warmer environment than I could provide. 1% is all that you need in a blend. It's probably the most effective flavoring I've ever used. So, to answer the original question, smoking it straight would probably be over-powering. However, I've put it in straight flue cured tobacco and its super nice.
IMG_20151217_085028.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.