Storage Jars

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Just make sure when storing long term you crank the lid down tight. Should be fine. It has the same type seal as a mason it’s just a one piece lid.
He will be able to start out with a better seal than a mason jar can provide anyways, because the ring of the jar on those two piece lids do not crank the lid down as you crank the rind down. I've seen a guy use a pressure tape stuff to show this on a canning thread a few years ago. Mason jars rely on the canner to tighten the lids, not the rings, and the rings are designed to release pressure when the pressure cooker overblows the jigger. So, cranking a ring down, does absolutely nothing except make the ring harder top remove latter.

Reactions: Reggie

elnoblecigarro

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 27, 2020
I'm no expert, but:
I have basic screw lid and bail lid glass jars and they seem to work just fine for my needs. (They don't have this extra lid that ball jars and mason jars have). I have some tobaccos in them that are four years old and still moist. Depends on the jar though, there are different types. I have some bail jars where the tobacco dried out and others where it didn't. They are a gamble.

I tried these jars where pickles or other similar jarred foods come in and they didn't work. They don't seal well after opening them for the first time. These look somewhat similar to those although unused.

Mason jars are hard to come by here, they seem to be mostly American thing? They might be the best thing if one buys in bulk and keeps it stored for decades. My tobaccos are tin or pouch only and I jar fairly small quantities (basically only my rotation, some just get smoked very infrequently).

Reactions: bent1