Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

cohiba007

Might Stick Around
Nov 12, 2018
Orlando FL
anyone have experience with these type of jars for storage? Ive got about two dozen blends jarred up with these but am worried about the seal. I live in Florida so not sure if I need airtight. But thought I would ask the experts. I can certainly purchase and rejar in ball jars but won’t if I don’t have to.

14DF6664-FAC4-4828-8A2A-DED51056083F.png

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
If I opened a tin the tobacco went straight into a jelly jar. Bulk went into pints within 24 hours of delivery.

I was a jar man all the way.

Living in a humid climate I wouldn't trust my tobacco to the vagaries of that moisture one bit. People like to say or think, oh, it will be all-right or that tobacco is not expensive. It will be all-right if you take care of it by putting it in a jar or Mylar bag, and $50-$100 a pound was plenty expensive for me.

The Clay King

(Formerly HalfDan)
Oct 2, 2018
Chesterfield, UK
www.youtube.com
I re-use pipe tobacco packets when I buy the loose Gawith Hoggarth pipe baccy when I go to Lace Wars / Sealed Knot re-enactment events. Will add Devon House News to the Plastic Free Chesterfield website; I'm doing my bit for the planet:)

Reactions: BROBS

brut666

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 7, 2020
Kent, "The Garden Of England"
I have jars that I use for me weekly smokes, I fill them from larger containers. So short term for me is a week.

They will last longer than a week thou won't they?
I was thinking of opening a tin, smoking it for a week (one bowl an evening) then putting the remaining in a jar similar to these before starting another tin.
I'm new to piping and there are many many different ones I'd like to try.

Reactions: BROBS
Is it that you don't have access to canning jars, or do you just want to use something fancier?

I was in on a thread a few years ago, and I just couldn't understand why he was asking about using such weird things like taping two ceramic bowls together to store tobacco... Turns out that the dude lived in some remote region of the world with no delivery nor amazon... Sometimes you just have to hollow out a coconut to put your tobacco in and burry the thing in the floor of your hut. puffy

• Haha
Reactions: BROBS and mingc

brut666

Oct 7, 2020
No, it's because I made a pipe and tobacco holder and made it to fit squat jars as I didn't realise you needed a mason type jar.. They seem air tight thou, I have held them under water to check for bubbles

Attachments

• 16043319787207677409026319762665.jpg
    16043319787207677409026319762665.jpg
    88.5 KB · Views: 14
  • 1604332034779744792639294866637.jpg
    1604332034779744792639294866637.jpg
    74.4 KB · Views: 14
  • Love
Reactions: cosmicfolklore

Recon Paul

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 29, 2020
New Jersey, US
You can get mason jars in multiple sizes. You should be able to find ones that fit your shelf. Which I think is great by the way.

No, it's because I made a pipe and tobacco holder and made it to fit squat jars as I didn't realise you needed a mason type jar.. They seem air tight thou, I have held them under water to check for bubbles
Put a hamster in the jar. If it dies, it's air tight. puffy
Those jars have seals on them, and should take as the tobacco uses up the air just like it does in a mason jar. Just go with it. Canning jars are really just made to withstand heavy pressures used in the canning process, and to be used over and over.
On a Mason jar, screwing the ring tighter doesn't clamp the lid on tighter, whereas on those jars it does. I grant my seal of approval, and I even suggest that they may be far superior to those redneck looking canning jars we all use. I would just get new lids when refilling the washed jars, and only open them when you commit to smoking the jar.

Screw the naysayers. They are merely parroting something they've heard over and over on here. puffy

Reactions: BROBS and mingc

brut666

Oct 7, 2020
Put a hamster in the jar. If it dies, it's air tight. puffy
Those jars have seals on them, and should take as the tobacco uses up the air just like it does in a mason jar. Just go with it. Canning jars are really just made to withstand heavy pressures used in the canning process, and to be used over and over.
On a Mason jar, screwing the ring tighter doesn't clamp the lid on tighter, whereas on those jars it does. I grant my seal of approval, and I even suggest that they may be far superior to those redneck looking canning jars we all use. I would just get new lids when refilling the washed jars, and only open them when you commit to smoking the jar.

Screw the naysayers. They are merely parroting something they've heard over and over on here. puffy

Perfect, thanks for that, your seal of approval is very much appreciated, made me feel better about it it.

Reactions: cosmicfolklore

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
Perfect, thanks for that, your seal of approval is very much appreciated, made me feel better about it it.
Just make sure when storing long term you crank the lid down tight. Should be fine. It has the same type seal as a mason it’s just a one piece lid.

Reactions: mingc