PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

krizzose

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
Michigan
Sutliff 507c , Peter stokkeybe luxury bulls eye flake , and twist … newminster 400 and newminster 403 … all readily available , all age great , all reasonably priced
This is solid advice for anyone looking to pad their Virginia stocks with an eye on $$. These are inexpensive, but not cheap.

I would also include Stokkebye Luxury Navy Flake.

VDL_Piper

Lifer
Jun 4, 2021
Tasmania, Australia
For me it’s solid virginia’s and va/per blends atm. We have good access to Samuel Gawith blends so I’m hoarding Full Virginia Flake and Plug/Cabbie’s/Boothy etc as well as Peterson Deluxe Navy Rolls. One that has caught my eye is G.L.Pease Union Square. I’m going to get some and put it in the back of the cupboard for 10 years and then have a look at it.
Caveat here is, none are cheap in this line up.

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
Yes!
This I fully agree with ?
If there is one blend that ages well it's this one.
13B2AFD1-17F9-44BA-BB9D-041B611390EC.jpeg
Just to prove my Lees get fed something other than cheap candy flavored cavendishes!

In today’s market there simply is no bad bulk tobacco.

If you can buy six pounds of it, it’s all good.

They've been making it for five hundred years.

That’s a rather mature market.:)

MarcosEZLN

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 20, 2021
Birch Bay, WA, USA
I just bought six pounds of PS Luxury Navy Flake for $240.

That’s $40 a pound, or $2.50 an ounce.

I already have about 25 or so pounds of tobacco in my stash.

This six pounds ought to only get better as time goes by, and it isn’t going to ever be cheaper.
Have you ever tried home stoving it? I like the effect it has; I have a hard time telling the difference between 5-10 year old LNF and home stoved. Six pounds is enough to play around with a few ounces if you're feeling adventurous.

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
Have you ever tried home stoving it? I like the effect it has; I have a hard time telling the difference between 5-10 year old LNF and home stoved. Six pounds is enough to play around with a few ounces if you're feeling adventurous.
I already have about three pounds in inventory.:)

I want to home stove it, when my wife isn’t home to laugh at me.:)

How dey do dat, how dey do dat?

nolan613

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 21, 2019
Augusta, GA
Buying in bulk is a two edged sword. What you love today you might be bored with two years from now. By the same token I have had some blends that have cycled through the decades. Just don't overthink it.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I like burley in my English blends so enjoy C&D English blends such as Old Joe Krantz original, Billy Budd, Tuggle Hall, Stratfordshire, Bayou Night, and Mountain Camp, among others, all available in bulk. Back when Nat Sherman was open, the NYC pipe and tobacco shop, I liked buying their 536 blend with burley in bulk.