PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Grumpy11

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 9, 2022
Vero Beach Florida, Secretary, MD
With the increasing tobacco tax situation I've been stocking up. I'm buying mostly good Virginias. But I was also thinking about buying pounds of cheaper bulk stuff such as Admirals Choice.
Comments, recommendations?

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: OSOBUCO and AJL67

hugodrax

Can't Leave
Jan 24, 2013
Stokkebyes Luxury Series. Very high quality, relatively low cost. No offense meant to anyone who likes Admiral's Choice by any means, but if you like Virginia tobacco, I doubt they'd fit your taste.

Sablebrush made some good C & D suggestions, too.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
I'll put it like this. I like a good value. That's price + utility and in the case of tobacco, utility is enjoyment. Price alone isn't a good enough reason. Buying cheap just because it's cheap rarely leads to a good end. When I buy something I buy excellent quality. It always translates to good value for the money spent. The quality of many of the Sutliff bulks is really pretty good, and the prices aren't high and there are a couple of C&D bulks I like and stocked, though I generally don't buy C&D. But I wouldn't buy any of them in quantity without smoking them first to see if I like them.

The other factor is that tastes change. I've got poundage of English I'm not currently smoking because I burned out on Latakia. I've only recently returned to smoking a bowl of English every once in a while. But I bought when I was still smoking English daily, and I'm not likely to use it. But, that could change and I could return to English. Or I might burn out on Va/Pers. Much as I love them, I find it necessary to occasionally take a break from them.

So at least buy what you really enjoy smoking, and if some of these is relatively inexpensive bulk, good, but buy what you really enjoy smoking.