PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
The Navy is currently my favorite of the four. I definitely recommend it. It is also the only one of the four that we still have in stock at the moment, as all our initial inventory for the other 3 facings sold out in a little over 2 days. We should be restocking soon. :)
The only problem I can see with this and it's big one. My budget at the moment. Sounds like a nice change of pace for both pipe smokers and cigar smokers. Reminds me of a lot of things in life. It's not so much what it is as how well it's done. Any meat almost can be good if you prepare it right.

Reactions: jeremyreeves

Steddy

Lifer
Sep 18, 2021
Western North Carolina
I am looking forward to trying these, I appreciate the detail Steve Saka and Jeremy Reeves put into their work. Sin Compromiso is in the running for favorite full bodied cigar and Sobremesa is delicious too. I just smoked my first bowl of C&D Black Frigate after dinner and it just whooped dessert’s rear end. So tasty. Excited to see what these guys put together.

• Love
Reactions: jeremyreeves

Steve Saka

Lurker
Nov 20, 2021
Dammit... been a lurker here for years, now like with the pipe smoking thing I gotta come out of the closet...

First, thanks Jeremy for providing a detailed reply. I wouldn't have replied, but there is no reason for you to "carry water" for me so now you kinda forced me...

Second, these are cigars first, not a replacement for a pipe. Just like pipe blends that incorporate traditional black air cured cigar tobaccos, these cigar do the opposite; they bring new types of tobaccos into the cigar experience. However, I wanted to take it to another level and actually incorporate styles of pipe tobacco - I initially chose to do an Aromatic, an English, a VaPer and a Navy - a good mix of 4 basics - the goal being to provide the cigar smoker something unique and different, but I also wanted it to be distinguishable for the experienced pipe smoker - I wanted the Bayou No. 32 to give you those zesty citrus notes and umami you get out of VaPer, even including how a modern Vaper (for me that is one with greater than 10% Perique) begins mild but the spiciness kicks up toward the end of the bowl. ps: I called it "Bayou" because the term "vaper" would just confuse all cigar smokers that were not experienced pipe smokers.

Third, as for the price, it is what it is - I only do top shelf, I don't make typical cigars with typical materials nor do I worry about selling to the average cigar smoker much less the masses. And for whoever made the comment that my cigars are 2/3rd the price of Davidoff, well my cigars are substantially better so by that standard they are a steal. <snicker> As one famous Retailer tells his customers, "Saka's cigars are Davidoff quality with twice the flavor, but at half the price." I make zero apologies for the cost of my puros - there are thousands of less costly options out there, find one you love and buy those instead.

And finally, I have absolutely no idea how this project will do longterm. Never has there ever been a cigar smoker who has walked into a store and said, "Hey do you a cigar with some stoved and caked Cavendish with a touch of Oriental in it? Oh and I want a subtle top note of dark rum." This is a total flyer - if people like it and it sells, I will make more including other ligas like a ballsy Balkan, etc... if it doesn't, I will just go back to making these pipe tobacco cigars exclusively for myself like I had been doing for over two decades with off the shelf tins.

STS

ps: This project would not have been possible without Jeremy, Cornell & Diehl and the Laudisi Group, however it it fails that is entirely on me. The pipe blends they crafted for the project are exceptional - the question now is will cigar consumers appreciate it or consider it worthwhile at all - like I said, I have no clue, only time will tell.

Last edited:

Steve Saka

Lurker
Nov 20, 2021
As for the Europe comment, regretfully that will probably be true - the EU has become increasingly more difficult with their tobacco restrictions and something like this just does not fit into their regulatory scheme. Luckily just like we US cigar smokers had to buy from reputable International sources for Habanos, there are reputable US Retailers who ship internationally - of course, depending on your luck will determine whether you have to pay the taxes which is absurd on wet-style handmade cigars in the EU.

Last edited:

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I'll put in a good word for cigar leaf in pipe tobacco blends. First, remember, it is not a cigar experience, and isn't supposed to be. But as a condiment, or even neat, cigar leaf is a pleasant and can be a refined way to add dimension to a blend or straight up Virginia or burley. It's no cigar, but I find it good. Billy Budd, Key Largo, other blends, or mix your own.

Reactions: Steddy

sgarrity

Lurker
Mar 6, 2016
San Diego
Any reviews of these? I started with the Aromatic and it was not a pleasant experience. Tight draw, average flavor and that’s being kind, would not stay lit and finally stopped smoking it somewhere at the 1/2 to 1/3 mark.

Tried the English next and wow…one of the best cigars I’ve ever had. Bold yet creamy flavor. Definite hints of a good English blend. Perfect smoke all the way to the last inch. Happy to pay $15 for that all day long!

Decided I should give the Aromatic a second chance. The draw was significantly better than the first one. Still had problems keeping it lit. Flavor was just not good. Plenty of $5-8 sticks that are far superior.

Have the Bayou and Navy to try next. Think I’ll buy a few more English singles before going for the box. But that English I had was just phenomenal!!!

Reactions: lightmybriar

Zapasta

Lurker
Oct 23, 2021
Tampa, FL
First of all, they are an expensive cigar (at least for me). About $17 is the local price for me and so I have only smoked a couple. I've had the virginia perique Bayou cigar every time. It's so good I can't bring myself to take a gamble and try one of the other Stillwell Stars. It really brings out the best in flavor of a VaPer blend as well as a cigar. It's exceptional.

• Wow
Reactions: anotherbob
Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
I don't know certain cigars seem to be doing alright that have at least a similar theme. I keep seeing Acid cigars for sale pretty much everywhere. They can't be doing that poorly.
If the anti smoking Nazis wanted to send smoking, they're legislate the only adorable smoking substance would be Acid Cigars. They are absolutely vile to my taste buds.

Reactions: anotherbob
I tried the English one with Latakia. Did not enjoy it.

Also, the necessary condition a good cigar must have for me is a flawless construction. Otherwise I will not consider it to be good. The one that I purchased had construction issues - Not a good first impression.

So I will stick to the taste profile I know I enjoy, and from factories who know can roll one without construction issues

Reactions: NomadOrb

sgarrity

Lurker
Mar 6, 2016
San Diego
Half way through my second English and it is a very enjoyable stick. Ordering a box post haste!

Since the two Aromatics I reviewed quite harshly above I’ve also had the Navy. Better than the Aros but only marginally so. The English though….Damn Fine cigar!!!

Briar Baron

Can't Leave
Sep 30, 2016
Sydney
I always been a fan of Dunbarton Sobremesa, Sobremesa Brulee and Sombremesa Brulee Blue so I was watching with interest the uptake of the Stillwell Star range. I could not really decide which to try but watched how the Aromatic No1 continually was above the others on the SP top 25 cigars (as I write this it is the 2nd best seller of all cigars, but is always in the top 10 recently) so ordered a box.

The Aromatic No1 is a great cigar for me, however I did find the head seemed to be dipped in some extra flavoring(?) that tended to be a bit strong. I solved this by damping a paper towel with Tequila and wiping the head to tone it down a bit. Now I have a box of custom made cigars!

sgarrity

Lurker
Mar 6, 2016
San Diego
Had the Bayou last week and a few more English since the last review. The Bayou was my second favorite. Fine cigar with hints of Perique is what I got. Solid medium flavored cigar. If I didn’t know there was pipe tobacco in it, I doubt I would have guessed it. Would definitely smoke again.

Got my box of English and have enjoyed a few. Still a great creamy English flavor with those hints of Latakia. This is the one for me. The Aromatic is still puzzling. People rave about it but it just wasn’t good to me. Interesting how people seem to have strong opinions about their favorite in this line….??‍♂️?

TheSt0rm

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 2, 2022
That is cool, a pipe tobacco cigar. I've been smoking RYO of pipe tobacco mainly... And I dont inhale it.

people say it is like cigarette tobacco.. but I smoked American Spirit for a long time... and well, this is definitely more aromatic (and more alkaline, more moist, burns slower) even though it is non aromatic tobacco. Esp. when you get a good nose on it, and then snorking it.. I get vanilla ish cloveish spicy undertones and sweetish aromas...

and it has a smell that is very similar to Mapacho/nicotiana rustica logs I've had...

Last edited:

TheSt0rm

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 2, 2022
I'll even do a cigar leaf with it, but lately i realized it's not good to use cigar leaves that are sold commercially... it is better to prepare your own from whole leaf from bulk suppliers... so that you dont have to use propylene glycol, which is what I think most people use in the preparation of their commercial cigar leaves... sold as "Fronto/Grabba"...

Anyways Im not talking about Real cigar leaf that doesnt use propylene glycol.

Well the main thing about that is that I can't get a good nose on it without getting a headache.. But prepared with just water and the RAW Hydrostone, it's fine.