PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

jeremyreeves

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 14, 2015
Smoking pipes will have them. As well as one store where they are holding an event at but I can’t remember the name of it.
StillWell Star will be released at Smokingpipes and the there will be a release party at Low Country Pipe & Cigar which is the Smokingpipes B&M location in Little River, SC.
These cigars will begin making their way to retailers in the rest of the country later this month.

danimalia

Lifer
Sep 2, 2015
San Francisco Bay Area, USA
I'd be interested to try all but the first one, though I wouldn't turn down one of those either, probably. It's true that there was the Spectre, an AJ Fernandez made cigar with Latakia, and Mark Ryan had a line made with perique, and of course a lot of cheap flavored stuff like Black and Milds, but this definitely seems to be the most detailed and experimental approach yet. I've had mixed experiences with Dunbarton, but it sure seems like they put a lot of thought and effort into this.. And I like a lot of C&D stuff too.

greeneyes

Lifer
Jun 5, 2018
Historically these types of hybrids have never really caught on or stuck around for very long. While cigar leaf is an excellent condimental tobacco and enhances pipe tobaccos mixtures, the addition of traditional pipe tobacco to cigars tends to result in a product that consumers only reach for occasionally in the interest of novelty. But the marketing guys keep trying...

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
Historically these types of hybrids have never really caught on or stuck around for very long. While cigar leaf is an excellent condimental tobacco and enhances pipe tobaccos mixtures, the addition of traditional pipe tobacco to cigars tends to result in a product that consumers only reach for occasionally in the interest of novelty. But the marketing guys keep trying...
I don't know certain cigars seem to be doing alright that have at least a similar theme. I keep seeing Acid cigars for sale pretty much everywhere. They can't be doing that poorly.

greeneyes

Lifer
Jun 5, 2018
I don't know certain cigars seem to be doing alright that have at least a similar theme. I keep seeing Acid cigars for sale pretty much everywhere. They can't be doing that poorly.
Except that those are infused. Infusions of coffee, chocolate and bourbon have been around at least since Ecclesiastes. Somehow I don't envision the "man on the street" hankering for a Latakia flavored cigar, or even knowing what Latakia is. But I'll bookmark this thread and we can revisit it in five years.

Reactions: danimalia

pantsBoots

Lifer
Jul 21, 2020
Terra Firma
Except that those are infused. Infusions of coffee, chocolate and bourbon have been around at least since Ecclesiastes. Somehow I don't envision the "man on the street" hankering for a Latakia flavored cigar, or even knowing what Latakia is. But I'll bookmark this thread and we can revisit it in five years.
Agreed. As someone who started in the cigar world, I am very much accustomed to the "normal" cigar flavors. I remember giving a good friend a humidor full of nice Habanos and other treats several years ago. He called up one day distraught because he bought some Kentucky Dark Fired cigars, put them in the humidor, and all of a sudden, when he'd smoke a nice, well-aged Habano, it had all of a sudden taken on that barbecue smoked flavor; a couple little gimmick KDF cigars had spread their weird essence all throughout the rest of some very fine cigars. He removed the offending cigars to store elsewhere, but says he ruined what I had given him as they were still carrying that pipe tobacco note months later.

Point being, if you spring for the new releases mentioned in this thread, I would strongly recommend storing them away from your normal cigars to avoid wrecking their flavor profile.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
well it seems like there is some room on the market and I would bet that one of C&Ds as well as the other collaborators goals is more to introduce cigar smokers to the concept of different types of pipe tobacco and introduce pipe smokers to cigars. Kind of spur more investigation out of people who haven't crossed over to the other product yet.

I mentioned Mark Ryan's 1881 perique cigars, but there was also Russ Ouellet's Latakia cigars, Spectres. I liked both of these. But, I admit that I never could taste the latakia in the Spectre cigars. I think the Spectre pipe tobacco was way better, but... there's room for more options out there.

But, as pantsBoots mentioned, maybe keep them in a separate humidor. ...as I run over to remove the Cubans he gave me from my humidor full of Swamp Thangs, ha ha. puffy

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
I mentioned Mark Ryan's 1881 perique cigars, but there was also Russ Ouellet's Latakia cigars, Spectres. I liked both of these. But, I admit that I never could taste the latakia in the Spectre cigars. I think the Spectre pipe tobacco was way better, but... there's room for more options out there.

But, as pantsBoots mentioned, maybe keep them in a separate humidor. ...as I run over to remove the Cubans he gave me from my humidor full of Swamp Thangs, ha ha. puffy
you know i now think there are frogs in your cigar furniture. And not the drew estate sticks most here incorrectly assume there are!