PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

nekodvoru

Lurker
Jun 10, 2020
20 min too quick. Try to sip trough using nose. Also It could be that some pipes no matter how you try still smoking hot- probably you damaging the bowl but you have no choice anyway

dcicero

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 23, 2019
Michigan
You don't use your breath to draw with breath smoking, that would cause you to inhale. Your breath just sets the tempo of the smoking. A continuous draw is stretched out over three to four complete breaths before releasing it into the stem or retrohaling, but the breath is never used to pull the smoke. Neither should you expel the smoke into the pipe with each breath as that will overheat the pipe.
Releasing into the stem..What do you mean by that?

tech49

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 2, 2020
Hamburg Twp, MI
I find that the key to breath smoking, for me, is how I hold my tongue against the back of the roof of my mouth, forming almost a sealed chamber in my mouth.

Then, as I rhythmically breath through my nose, smoke leaks into the chamber on inbreaths, and slowly leaks out of the bowl on outbreaths. About every 4 or 5 breaths I puff the smoke out of my mouth, and then breath another 4 or 5 times and the mouth chamber fills again. Repeat.

To get the tongue position in the mouth right, say the word "egg" and note how your tongue presses up against the back of the roof of your mouth.

Hold it there, put the pipe in your mouth, light and and start breathing. This is a passive method, as opposed to active puffing. It's more about pressure changes as you breathe, filling the chamber in your mouth over the course of 4 or 5 breathing cycles rather than sipping and puffing.

I pack using the air gap method, and bowls in my Savinelli billiards last me about 45 minutes.

Reactions: maxi