PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Apr 7, 2020
Lake Zurich, IL
Gents,

In need of help again. I’m making an effort to take less of a draw, and draw less frequently, but my pipe bowl is still getting hot to the touch. I am concerned I’m causing damage to my pipes. Any advice on how to smoke so the bowl doesn’t get too hot? From filling the chamber, to lighting the flake, etc. Also, how long should it take me to smoke a pipe packed 3/4 high? It’s take me about twenty minutes. I’m thinking that’s too quick.

Thank you in advance for sharing your expertise, gents.
Hope everyone is well.

- AJ

yaddy306

Lifer
Aug 7, 2013
Regina, Canada
What worked for me is longer, but much slower, draws (rather than quick, hard but less frequent draws).

I think of it like fanning a fire in the fireplace: you don't give it a quick blast of compressed air for a second, then wait 20 seconds before doing it again. You give it a slow but steady supply of air.

Civil War

Lifer
Mar 6, 2018
Shouldn't be quick hard draws. Use slower sips and dry out the tobacco to almost crunchy. If you are smoking an aromatic then you won't need to, or be able to, dry it out as much as a non-aromatic because of the casing/humecant.

Reactions: jpmcwjr
Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
Dry the tobacco out completely and pack it lighter.

This. I would say pipes getting too hot are most often the result of wet tobacco packed too tightly than it is from smoking too aggressively. Pack that tobacco too tight to where you have to really pull on it hard to get any smoke and it will heat up in no time.

Dec 6, 2019
AL/GA
I pack the tobacco loosely, use the breathe method, and try to make a bowl last as long as possible. When I stopped puffing the pipe and started only letting the smoke trickle in from the breathe smoking, my pipes cooled down.

There are some great older threads with post from cosmicfolklore and even a video or two from chasingembers, on breathe smoking.. those really helped me smoke cooler.

Apr 7, 2020
Lake Zurich, IL
I pack the tobacco loosely, use the breathe method, and try to make a bowl last as long as possible. When I stopped puffing the pipe and started only letting the smoke trickle in from the breathe smoking, my pipes cooled down.

There are some great older threads with post from cosmicfolklore and even a video or two from chasingembers, on breathe smoking.. those really helped me smoke cooler.
Thanks Richmond. I’ll give those videos a look. Appreciate the help!