PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

bigvan

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
That stem is remarkable. Very nice.
But what is a "vampire's wand" for which the pipe is named?

marine33

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 11, 2014
I have a Dracula and I'm jealous. I am with shaintiques on this one. We are going to need more pics. Love that tamper too it's like that movie where the spirits were comming out of their mouth and just looks cool. Think the movie was haunting in Connecticut.

sparrowhawk

Lifer
Jul 24, 2013
Stephen has done a phenomenal job, far beyond what I could imagine. In fact, I was counting on his artistic intuition to make my poor design much more than I drew. I'm afraid now he will want to keep it and not send it to me! By the way, the pipe has no rustication: it is entirely sandblast around my line drawings, which I didn't realize at the time would be extraordinarily difficult, and so Stephen had to experiment with different methods to sandblast and retain the sharp forms of the bats. My regret is that all you poor gentlemen won't be able to actually see and hold this remarkable work of gothic art. But I will, hahahah! :)

grouchydog

Can't Leave
Oct 16, 2013
Wow, that is flipping amazing! Like a Pete Drac's older and wiser brother...
+1 on more pics when you get it!

sparrowhawk

Lifer
Jul 24, 2013
I'm not sure what you mean. Are you referring to its smoking quality? I'm sure it will match the work Stephen has done for the rest of the pipe. But the aesthetics, from my knowledge of what I required of Stephen, will differ slightly from the photos. The stain, for instance, is black, not the chocolate brown that the camera captured. The lighting I assume is bright to visibly show the features of the pipe, and if not for that the details would be invisible, the effect being more tactile and visible to the naked eye rather than a photo. You'll see when I post my photos. By the way, Stephen's nomenclature is equally spectacular: It reads "Downie The Vampire's Wand" and is rendered in red with the black background to make it really pop out. I wanted this: The creator of this pipe should be clearly visible. The tamper was an extra surprise: I gave Stephen full rein to do with the tamper as he wished with only a minor suggestion that he consider the pipe, "Smoke," but not as a requirement. I wanted him to do as he wished with the tamper, confident that it would be equally spectacular. And so it is, I think.

sparrowhawk

Lifer
Jul 24, 2013
To answer big van's question: a pipe is rather stick shaped, like a wand, hence the name that came to me instantly, "Vampire's Wand."

bigvan

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
Oh, OK... I thought maybe it was something new added to vampire lore; a result of the "Twilight" influence or something like that.
Perhaps I'm over-thinking things again.

sparrowhawk

Lifer
Jul 24, 2013
I have the same problem, big van, so don't kick yourself about it. I can tell you one reason the pipe was designed was to act as inspiration for my own vampire novel. To hell with these wimpy modern vampire movies and stories that make vampires cute and cuddly and romantic.

ghost

Lifer
May 17, 2012
To hell with these wimpy modern vampire movies and stories that make vampires cute and cuddly and romantic.
Exactly! Someone has to make the vampire scary again. Go for it!

swhipple

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 2, 2011
This shows exceptional work in both the concept/design and build/blast. I love the fact that it's completely custom and unique, yet at the same time it's very much a classic shape. I hope it smokes wonderfully for you!

Status
Not open for further replies.