PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

sparrowhawk

Lifer
Jul 24, 2013
When I first started collecting pipes, I knew I would want a custom pipe that would express my particular aesthetic, which is dark, moody, gothic. When I finally decided to make the leap, I turned to my sketch pad and made a number of drawings, from the sublime to the ridiculous. But then I had an epiphany: I would design a pipe with a red-on-black stem, with bats (something of a trademark in my own art) scattered along the surface of the briar, emerging from a single mass at the end of the shank, as if a flock of bats were disturbed and scattered out along the briar. This is the last of those simple drawings:
scan-2-600x271.jpg

I immediately dubbed this design as "The Vampire's Wand." What followed next was to find the pipe maker. Rad Davis recommended Stephen Downie, who I didn't know at the time, but a glimpse through his website revealed an extraordinary, eclectic genius. I contacted Stephen, explained my concept, and he accepted the commission. I wanted the red (to suggest blood) on black (Shakespeare was wrong; black tolerates red very well) and he found the perfect stem material, called Black Rose. For the pipe shape itself, I wanted it to reflect the Peterson 107: A large, barrel shaped billiard bowl, thick shank, and a fish tale stem, and a sandblasted surface to suggest castle walls or the stone of a dungeon, increasing the gothic feel of the pipe. This turned out, for Stephen, to be problematic: sandblasting while retaining sharp forms like bats turned out to be difficult, especially the bat forms I submitted to him. I had drawn a series of my trademark bats and he transferred these to the briar.

scan-111-349x600.jpg

Despite the difficulties I had laid out for Stephen, he carried it off like a champ, producing a truly unique pipe. Later in the process, I suggested that he use any leftover stem material to make a tamper: I had suggested a tamper based on one of his pipes called "Smoke," but that was only a suggestion, not a requirement--I wanted Stephen to have full freedom to design the tamper as he wished. As it turned out, the tamper did end up resembling the Smoke pipe, and I think it makes a fitting companion to The Vampire's Wand.
d1-600x452.jpg

d4-600x360.jpg

I couldn't be happier with the results, and I don't think any other pipe maker could have carried this off like Stephen did. Stephen, thanks so much for a work of art that I will prize for the rest of my life.

PS: Once is not enough; Stephen and I are already discussing another pipe, though not a dark, gothic one like this.

sparrowhawk

Lifer
Jul 24, 2013
The pipe is in the mail now; I'll post more when it is in hand. Especially, I think, Stephen's nomenclature should be shown.

ejames

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
I love looking at Stephen Downie's work ! Can't wait to see close up shots of those bats! I like that stem material and love that tamper!

ghost

Lifer
May 17, 2012
Amazing, that is truly a gothic pipe! Delightfully morbid, my dark side is jealous right now... :twisted:

daimyo

Lifer
May 15, 2014
I saw this on his Facebook post and thought it was amazing. Glad to see it's going to a forum member. Downie does an amazing job of making themed work without going too far and diminishing their aesthetic as a pipe. I would put this up there with Talbert's spooky work, which for me is saying a lot. Congratulations on a truly unique and personalized pipe.

Jan 8, 2013
Sparrow that pipe will fit you like a glove man! Are you even going to be able to smoke your Peterson Dracula pipes anymore after you get your hands on that? I can't wait to see more photos when it arrives.

sparrowhawk

Lifer
Jul 24, 2013
Well, I need the Dracs for my rotation. I have 4 107 Petersons and I use them all more than other pipes. My next project is to build a pipe cabinet. The Vampire's Wand will hold a special place of honor there. And rest assured, more photos will come. Stephen tells me the pipe should arrive in about a week.

ruger414

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 25, 2014
United States
Wow, that pipe is incredible. It's easily one of the coolest sandblast/rustications I have ever seen. You're a lucky man, Sparrowhawk!

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Wow, now THAT is a custom pipe! I love the bats and the stem material. I can't think of anyone better suited to pull that off (Downie or Talbert would be the two that come to mind). Good on Rad to make that recommendation. I love the tamper as well, it really fits the pipe. I can see that holding court over your more plebian Dracula pipes!

settersbrace

Lifer
Mar 20, 2014
That is one nice looking creation and I too would like to see some sharper images once you get it into your tobacco stained hands. A very nice job of conveying a persona into the briar.

Status
Not open for further replies.