PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

chapu

Lurker
Nov 1, 2015
Hey, fellows! So, I'm looking into restoring some old stems myself (bought a couple of estate lots over the internet). I've seen people talking wonders about polishing/buffing wheels made of fabric, so I got a couple of those to attach to my power drill. Now, I have some questions:
I've seen a fellow on YouTube (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=voF3-nKdIdk) finishing a pipe by polishing both stummel and stem (vulcanite, I think) with brown tripoli and then buffing both with carnauba. But then I also saw people advocating for white diamond. So, what's the difference between brown tripoli and white diamond? Is one of the two more suitable for the stummel vs. the stem? What about polishing/buffing vulcanite stems vs. acrylic ones?
Also, is the tripoli/diamond on a wheel a substitute for hand polishing with micromesh/magic eraser? I'm only asking because where I live, micromesh is a no-no. I can only get things that are similar looking, but not having a micromesh pad available for comparison, I'm not exactly sure just how similar they are. I'm trying to go for the high glossy finish, for what it's worth.
Thanks a bunch!

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
@chapu:

Brown tripoli is a more abrasive compound, you need to be careful with it, as the cutting properties can do more damage than good. White diamond is finer and a final finishing compound.

Micro-mesh really isn't readily available, but easy to mail order (in the US).

Reactions: Xuanquy1982

chapu

Lurker
Nov 1, 2015
Thanks, ssjones! So, let's say I cannot get micromesh pads (I live in Argentina, getting things from abroad is no easy task, not to say nearly impossible), can I replace them with brown tripoli on a wheel in order to remove oxidation from old stems? Being careful, obviously. And then maybe finishing with white diamond and finally carnauba?

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I don't like getting oxidation off a stem by buffing. Go to you nearest auto-body supply house and get some 800, 1,000, 1,500 & 2,000 grit wet sandpaper, then buff with white diamond. Micro-mesh is more for finishing. High grade sand paper does the same thing, much cheaper. I'm sure there are auto-body supply world-wide.

chapu

Lurker
Nov 1, 2015
Ah, yes. That was what I was referring to when I said I could get my hands on something similar to micromesh. This is the confirmation I needed! So wet sanding, polishing and buffing it will be. Thanks! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.