PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

mithridate

Might Stick Around
Jun 12, 2018
Central Ostrobothnia, Finland
I must admit I feel like my Vauen Auenland Balbor, magnificently long-stemmed thing, does always give me cool smokes. I have never gotten a bite when smoking it. But then, I must admit as well that it may just be a placebo effect...
On the other hand, it feels to me that I need to draw more energetically to get any air sucked in when smoking churchwardens, and being a friend of long, slow draws I just tend to draw extremely slow with those, so that maybe an explanation of smokes not getting too agressive.

Reactions: macaroni

Flatfish

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 20, 2022
West Wales
Thank you for your responses. It appears that the distance from bowl to mouth of a short stem pipe or a chutchwarden is so short not to make a difference.

Variations in perceived temperature are more likely down to pace of smoking and other variables.

Good stuff

🧐

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Perceived temperature: Good phrase for this discussion. Physics will tell us that a long stem will cool the smoke, but the amount is so small it's not measurable by most humans.

PS I don't have any any nose-warmers that I smoke. Do not like them.

macaroni

Lifer
Oct 28, 2020
Texas
I like all these responses LOL! And I again realize I don't know shit from shinola LOL!! But I like to pretend :) -kindly,
mike

Reactions: kcghost