PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Flatfish

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 20, 2022
West Wales
I know that technically, the longer the stem the cooler the smoke. That makes sense.

Is everything else just a matter of appearance? Some like long stems, others short.

Reactions: UncleRasta
Dec 3, 2021
Pennsylvania & New York
I’m not even sure a longer stem of practical length would really even be a cooler smoke. I’d be curious to see some scientific measurements.

I wouldn’t say it was necessarily just about appearance. In the context of different pipe shapes/designs, comfort and balance might come into play. The bit and material might be a bigger factor for those that clench—there are many variables, and all contribute to the smoking experience to varying degrees to different smokers.

Jun 9, 2015
Mission, Ks
I once did a study by measuring over 300 pipes and compiled a set of statistics. It was basically a set of average percentages. Stem length should be somewhere in the neighborhood of 65% of the total length of a straight pipe or height of a bent pipe. This obviously does not take into account things like churchwardens.

Jun 9, 2015
Mission, Ks
I once did a study by measuring over 300 pipes and compiled a set of statistics. It was basically a set of average percentages. Stem length should be somewhere in the neighborhood of 65% of the total length of a straight pipe or height of a bent pipe. This obviously does not take into account things like churchwardens.
Edit: 55% not 65%

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I know that technically, the longer the stem the cooler the smoke.
Considering how fast smoke travels up the airway, it the stem would have to be many feet long to register much of a difference in temperature.

I find that it's not so much the length of the stem then it is the cadence in which you smoke. I've smoked churchwardens and Falcons, which are noted for how cool they smoke and if puffed fast they will heat up the smoke and the bowl. Regardless of the length of the stem, SLOW DOWN and you will get a cool smoke.
^^^^
This

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
I personally think that longer stems and shanks do sort of make a cooler smoke. It still comes down more to technique. It seems like more smoke sits in the stem for a longer time if you smoke at slow to medium pace. This is based on how much smoke I can get out of a churchwarden that's gone out or has been dumped of tobacco. But that difference I notice is frankly pretty dang close to insignificant. The bigger difference I've noticed in smoking a churchwarden is that the shape forces you not really clench the pipe and kind of be more thoughtful about how you handle the pipe and that makes a more significant difference then any physics.

cersono

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 11, 2016
Vallis Lacrimarum
With my churchwardens, I don't feel that longer stems cool the smoke in any way.
What I feel however is that the smoke I draw from a churchwarden comes noticeably diluted with air. The longer stem makes room for 2 or 3 times more air inside than a regular-length stem does, so it's not unlike the calabash effect (and I don't like the calabash effect). That's the difference I find between the long and the regular stems, and I don't care for the impact the longer stem has on the smoke.

Reactions: macaroni and yanoJL

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
Usually longer stems are reserved for a gent with a house servant who can light it for him. In length of 4' and longer, where he can't reach the chamber. But in these modern days, having house servants might be looked as anti-PC, and might run into an issue of getting beat up by well meaning citizens eating organic veggies and fake meats. They can't barely lift a toothpick by themselves, but they see red when they miss their laxative due to fibre overload.

Hillcrest

Lifer
Dec 3, 2021
Bagshot Row, Hobbiton
Usually longer stems are reserved for a gent with a house servant who can light it for him. In length of 4' and longer, where he can't reach the chamber. But in these modern days, having house servants might be looked as anti-PC, and might run into an issue of getting beat up by well meaning citizens eating organic veggies and fake meats. They can't barely lift a toothpick by themselves, but they see red when they miss their laxative due to fibre overload.
1688066665665.png

makhorkasmoker

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 17, 2021
Central Florida
I like shorter stems because I clench and I tend to do stuff with a pipe in my mouth. Having the bowl way out there on the end of a long stem puts more pressure on the teeth and mouth, and the pipe can get in the way. If the bit is short or curved in a certain way, or if the bowl is small and light, I can deal with a slightly longer stem but in general I like them short

craZivn

Lurker
Aug 7, 2023
Northern U.S.
crazivn.com
Having tried my first nosewarmer yesterday, I've decided that I don't like short stems for a couple reasons:
Firstly, I like smoke in my mouth but not in my face. A longer stem keeps the bowl away from my nose when I'm clenching a pipe in my mouth but want a breath of fresh air.
Secondly, I get an odd satisfaction from seeing the little curl of smoke that occasionally rises from the bowl. Having a longer stem means I don't have to cross my eyes to watch the show.
And a bonus reason, I have longish hair and I don't like smoking hair.

I also noticed that the nosewarmer smoked significantly hotter than my other pipe but that may have been because it's brand new, or because it was exceptionally hot out yesterday, or any of a dozen other factors. Either way I have a longer bit for it that I'll swap in.

Ivan