12 Fresh Moonshine Pipes
108 Fresh Brulor Pipes
4 Fresh Scott Thile Pipes

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

I use the “condoms” to protect my TEETH not the stems. All but two of my 32 pipes have acrylic stems, so i don’t worry about disfiguring them.
I realized that my teeth couldn't handle the "feel" of acrylic pretty early on in my pipe smoking. I tried those rubber things, but it is like having a ball gag in my mouth, because it makes the stem so much wider, and makes the stem even more uncomfortable. So, I just try to make sure that I don't buy acrylic stems.

Some guys use those electrical shrink tubing that they use when joining electrical wires... I think it replaces the need for electrical tape. Anyways, you can find them at the hardware store in the electrical fittings section. You just cut a tube, slip it over the stem, and use a heat gun to shrink it to fit. It is a much better fit in your clench. But, honestly, I don't use them, so I have no first hand knowledge. Like I said, I just make sure my stems are all quality vulcanite.

As for @anotherbob , he's not really a pipesmoker. He's a trained talking monkey in a Tokyo zoo with a stolen cell phone. He was rescued from a house of ill repute where his job there was questionable, but now they rent him out by the hour to tourists who don't like a lot of questions. He just comes on here, because the WIFI limits what sites he can go on. puffy

anantaandroscoggin

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 9, 2017
Greene, Maine, USA
I only use them on the few pipes I have with wooden stems (don't like the texture in my mouth), and the pipes I have that slip out easily because I don't have the ability to put vice-grip levels of pressure on the stem with my jaws.

I'd love it if there were a softie-bit available to put on clay pipe stems and make it less likely to roll upside down and dump the ashes and coals in my lap should I need both hands to do something else. (NO! just no)

I enjoy the hell out of softy bits. To me, they are more comfortable. I am certain my enjoyment would be lessened with the absence of them and having to deal with all that tooth clatter...... Kinda like the sound of a bit in a horse's mouth.

With a softy bit on my pipes, I can clench most any pipe in my quiver. Most people don't use them correctly either. Proper use is key to comfort.

3 cheers for Softy bits!!!! puffy

Reactions: krizzose

Rock3r4life

Lurker
Apr 10, 2021
Illinois
I see all of these people with those rubber stem condoms on. I also see guys with plastic seat covers in their trucks, my grandma with her plastic covered sun room furniture, people buying and using things like they're prepared to sell them off at a moments notice without a hint of themselves on the things. I don't understand this at all.

It's my damn pipe, I'll bite it if I want. That said, I don't tend to mar up my stems, but if I did, so f'n what? It's way better than being scared to enjoy the things you own.
One more question, are the stems universal or specific to the pipe?

Reactions: jpmcwjr

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
I realized that my teeth couldn't handle the "feel" of acrylic pretty early on in my pipe smoking. I tried those rubber things, but it is like having a ball gag in my mouth, because it makes the stem so much wider, and makes the stem even more uncomfortable. So, I just try to make sure that I don't buy acrylic stems.

Some guys use those electrical shrink tubing that they use when joining electrical wires... I think it replaces the need for electrical tape. Anyways, you can find them at the hardware store in the electrical fittings section. You just cut a tube, slip it over the stem, and use a heat gun to shrink it to fit. It is a much better fit in your clench. But, honestly, I don't use them, so I have no first hand knowledge. Like I said, I just make sure my stems are all quality vulcanite.

As for @anotherbob , he's not really a pipesmoker. He's a trained talking monkey in a Tokyo zoo with a stolen cell phone. He was rescued from a house of ill repute where his job there was questionable, but now they rent him out by the hour to tourists who don't like a lot of questions. He just comes on here, because the WIFI limits what sites he can go on. puffy
I am offended by your assumption that monkeys can talk but can't really smoke a pipe. Shows that you are not a primatologist or at least not a very good one.

Epip Oc'Cabot

Can't Leave
Oct 11, 2019
Not, sure.... but I do not think this fellow is using a pipe rubber..... I never much favored them either.

Attachments

• CFB79038-6FA4-4157-A4AC-0455F462DDE9.jpeg
    CFB79038-6FA4-4157-A4AC-0455F462DDE9.jpeg
    65.4 KB · Views: 12
  • Haha
Reactions: cosmicfolklore
AFAik, they are same size, e.g., fungibles! (Word of the day!) Wrapping with specialized tape is another alternative.
@Rock3r4life
There may be some confusion in what the question is. I also was not 100% sure what he was asking me.
If you mean "are all stems interchangeable?" NO! on pipes that are made by hand and some factory pipes. These are usually made on the lathe along with the stummel, so the stem usually doesn't interchange with other pipes. However, Nording has told me that his base line Valhalla and Numbers series are all made with production made stems. So, if your Nording pipe needs a new stem, you can call a retailer that carries his brand, and they can get you a new stem. Neerups also seem pretty interchangeable. Mark Tinsky also uses production stems on almost all of his pipes. It is just hit or miss on the factory-mades.

If you mean "are the pipe rubbers interchangeable?" yes for the most part. You may have a stem like one of Randy Wiley's behemoth pipes that have those extra wide stems that might not fit. Some of the older Ardors also have wonky bits that won't fit a rubber either.

Reactions: Kottan

telescopes

Pipe Dreamer and Star Gazer
At first, acrylic stems seemed a bit harder. As time has gone on, I've come to favor them. Primarily, I enjoy knowing that I won't bite through the stem, it won't ugly out, and I do not need to use oil on the stem to keep it looking nice. Vulcanite has its place and I wouldn't hesitate to get a pipe with a vulcanite stem. But, as a person who enjoys color, Lucite and stems like it, have so much more appeal, for me.

timelord

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 30, 2017
Gallifrey
I prefer to smoke my pipes without the 'condom' things and so most of my pipes have some evidence that they have been in contact with my teeth. Not a problem; it's not as if I'm going to sell the pipes! But.. ...I do quite a bit of smoking whilst walking; the pipes I regularly lunt with have the rubbers fitted otherwise I'm likely to bite though the stems!

As to comparisons with a ball gag; I can only marvel at other forum members experience :sher:

Just as an experiment, I grabbed an old Colding pipe that I no longer use that has a vulcanite stem, and I tried my best to bite through the stem. I chewed and chomped, dragging it back and forth. Now, I’m a steak eating machine. My jaws know no meats it can’t chomp, but I cannot even make much of a dent on the stem. Barely a mark on it. Some of you are either 007’s arch nemesis, Jaws with the steel teeth, or your pipes are made from styrofoam.

I have one of my uncle’s pipes that has a hole where after years of grinding an eye tooth into it intentionally to make a hole, so that he could hook it on his tooth to smoke while he slept on the porch. But, I know that he prided these holey pipes and worked hard at getting them this way.

But, I have yet to see a pipe that was bitten in two. puffy

Rock3r4life

Lurker
Apr 10, 2021
Illinois
I prefer to smoke my pipes without the 'condom' things and so most of my pipes have some evidence that they have been in contact with my teeth. Not a problem; it's not as if I'm going to sell the pipes! But.. ...I do quite a bit of smoking whilst walking; the pipes I regularly lunt with have the rubbers fitted otherwise I'm likely to bite though the stems!

As to comparisons with a ball gag; I can only marvel at other forum members experience :sher:
Allons-y!