PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Rock3r4life

Lurker
Apr 10, 2021
Illinois
One thing I have noticed about myself is that I tend to bite things, such as the drip-tip on vapes or the stem on the pipe; curious if that is a common thing like my stem just SHOULDN'T look immaculate?

Reactions: danimalia
I see all of these people with those rubber stem condoms on. I also see guys with plastic seat covers in their trucks, my grandma with her plastic covered sun room furniture, people buying and using things like they're prepared to sell them off at a moments notice without a hint of themselves on the things. I don't understand this at all.

It's my damn pipe, I'll bite it if I want. That said, I don't tend to mar up my stems, but if I did, so f'n what? It's way better than being scared to enjoy the things you own.

Peter Peachfuzz

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 23, 2019
Central Ohio
I see all of these people with those rubber stem condoms on. I also see guys with plastic seat covers in their trucks, my grandma with her plastic covered sun room furniture, people buying and using things like they're prepared to sell them off at a moments notice without a hint of themselves on the things. I don't understand this at all.

It's my damn pipe, I'll bite it if I want. That said, I don't tend to mar up my stems, but if I did, so f'n what? It's way better than being scared to enjoy the things you own.
If you had scrappy uneven teeth you understand the bit condoms. I use to be the guy with seat covers on my new truck when my passengers were two GSPs.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I leave chatter on my stems over time. A pipe I've owned for decades looks almost new. It's a Bari, a discontinued Danish factory pipe, and a good one. But I have bored a hole in the bottom of the bit. The softie bits just make me flex my jaw and teeth against it, so I gave up on those. While it's your pipe, it accommodates your use. If it gets passed along, that's someone else's problem.

danimalia

Lifer
Sep 2, 2015
San Francisco Bay Area, USA
As someone who uses the pipe rubbers, I do so mostly for reasons of comfort. I am not a serious clencher, usually holding it in my teeth between puffs while my hands are busy. What this means is that I think it would take me a long time to indent a vulcanite stem to my teeth, and make it more comfortable. I like the grip and softness of the rubber bits. I also prefer acrylic stems which can be harder. There are certain pipes the rubber bits don't work well with, my Ropp Vintage with the horn stem is an example, so I just go commando on that one. The horn is actually a very forgiving and comfortable material.

That said, it is hardly a disadvantage that my pipe stems are often free of tooth marks. I have never sold or traded in a pipe, as I buy them to smoke hard, but maybe one day I will want to...

Anyway, I don't think there is a wrong way to approach this. I am actually pretty jealous of those who can clench through an entire bowl while doing all sorts of other tasks.

shanez

Lifer
Jul 10, 2018
Las Vegas
Your pipe is your just that, your pipe. Do what you want with it.

I have pipes I'm careful with and try not to leave marks on. I also have pipes that I've left very noticeable marks on. The ones I'm careful with I like them as objects of art as well as functional pipes so I want them to look nicer. The ones I chew the heck out of were actually bought specifically so I could enjoy them without worrying about what I did to them (I usually use them in my pool).

I can see both points of chewing/not chewing your stems but I don't really see the point of worrying about what other people think.

Rock3r4life

Lurker
Apr 10, 2021
Illinois
I LOVE this one quote from a another forum member that kinda sums it up: (it's like dating a hot chick but not banging her because you want to keep her in perfect condition) all wonderful things must take some abuse. Why we put miles on our cars, why we get shiners in our fights; everything has something that will "down" it.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Tooth chatter is not that uncommon on the estate pipes I've bought. So clearly a lot of smokers really clamp down when clenching.

Is it due to suppressed inner rage? Were they weaned off the teat too soon? Are they all from Transylvania?

I don't try to dent my stems. I prefer them without the tooth chatter. It's just a personal preference, no right or wrong. I tend to take care of my gear so that it takes care of me.

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
I don't chew or bite my stem, bit or button. Not that I care, but when I bite, it puts unwanted pressure on my jaw. And after awhile, it becomes stressful. I just park the button either on lower teeth when holding the pipe in hand, or upper teeth when clenching.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
I LOVE this one quote from a another forum member that kinda sums it up: (it's like dating a hot chick but not banging her because you want to keep her in perfect condition) all wonderful things must take some abuse. Why we put miles on our cars, why we get shiners in our fights; everything has something that will "down" it.
I dunno about that analogy. Have you ever gone at it with a woman with such passionate ferocity that you've broken the bed, busting apart the frame, sending the both of you to the floor, without interrupting the action? Screaming, clawing, the downstairs neighbors pounding on their ceiling, then coming upstairs to pound on the door and you don't stop for nobody? I sure have.

And I still don't like tooth marks on my stems.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
All my pipes have bite marks as I clench everything and I could care less. I smoke how I like and if I leave marks too bad. I never buy a pipe that I intend to sell down the road. where my pipe hits my teeth, I get a line that is on all my pipes. Some don't have it but most do. I am a pipe smoker. I am not a pipe seller, I never buy a pipe and think wow I could sell this for more money.

When I re do my collection every 5 years or so, the guy who sells them gets me some good money on most, some I eat dirt.

Epip Oc'Cabot

Can't Leave
Oct 11, 2019
Hmmm.... before DNA technology, dentition patterns on pipe stems were sometimes used to identify the culprit in a murder mystery novel.

That said, if I ever commit a crime, and leave my pipe at the scene..... they will easily be able to ID me...... I like my stems to fit where they do so comfortably if I am clenching..... and that mine all have the same sets of dents and wear spots from my choppers. ?

Reactions: Rock3r4life