PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
I see all of these people with those rubber stem condoms on. I also see guys with plastic seat covers in their trucks, my grandma with her plastic covered sun room furniture, people buying and using things like they're prepared to sell them off at a moments notice without a hint of themselves on the things. I don't understand this at all.
The sentiment and examples are fantastic!

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
I dunno about that analogy. Have you ever gone at it with a woman with such passionate ferocity that you've broken the bed, busting apart the frame, sending the both of you to the floor, without interrupting the action? Screaming, clawing, the downstairs neighbors pounding on their ceiling, then coming upstairs to pound on the door and you don't stop for nobody? I sure have.

And I still don't like tooth marks on my stems.
Same.

Only when my lady and I broke the bed we went into paroxysms....... of laughter!

dcicero

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 23, 2019
Michigan
I dont think I take a draw unless the pipe is clenched. I don't clench the entire time, but when I go for a puff I clench it at least for that period of time. I really wanted the rubber, I think because I thought it would be more comfortable on my teeth. But really they were just way too uncomfortable. Though they are thin, they felt thick to me and in the way. I tried them on 2 separate occasions and tossed them for the same reason. If my stem gets marks, screw it.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
oh only have tooth marks in two of my pipes the falcon and the Italian Canadian. That said I find wear too be part of the charms of pipes. I don't like pristine pipes. I like polished cared for pipes but a few tooth marks and some build up around the rim are nice. You know like scratched furniture makes me happy because it says a kitty has been here and marks on a pipe say this pipe has been enjoyed.

Reactions: Reggie
Dec 6, 2019
AL/GA
Those rubber bits are totally uncomfortable, I can't see it. I thought they were one of those jokes, like condoms and lifejackets.. But I see that people use them. I have a friend who swears by em.. Makes you wonder how many Times he's had gonorrhea and if he can swim.

I live tiny teeth marks.. My teeth are sharp. I'd bet each person leaves a different level of damage due to the way their teeth are laid out.

Reactions: rushx9

krizzose

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
Michigan
As someone who uses the pipe rubbers, I do so mostly for reasons of comfort.

Ditto for me on most of my pipes. I personally don't care much what the outside of my pipes look like. I have an equal amount of concern for opinions on softy bits from those who don't use them, as fascinating as those opinions are and so gratuitously given.

spike

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 21, 2009
I see all of these people with those rubber stem condoms on. I also see guys with plastic seat covers in their trucks, my grandma with her plastic covered sun room furniture, people buying and using things like they're prepared to sell them off at a moments notice without a hint of themselves on the things. I don't understand this at all.

It's my damn pipe, I'll bite it if I want. That said, I don't tend to mar up my stems, but if I did, so f'n what? It's way better than being scared to enjoy the things you own.
I use the “condoms” to protect my TEETH not the stems. All but two of my 32 pipes have acrylic stems, so i don’t worry about disfiguring them.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
I use the “condoms” to protect my TEETH not the stems. All but two of my 32 pipes have acrylic stems, so i don’t worry about disfiguring them.
don't worry he's just venting because his wife still makes him wear a condom, which is confusing cause she won't let him get it anywhere near her. You're just the target of his misaimed dissatisfaction. Or at least that's what I assume since the hostility doesn't make sense any other way.

F4RM3R

Nov 28, 2019
Canada
I try not too chew the things up, but I'm not too concerned. I'm a little more rough with the stems that can be easily replaced though, like a cob or 9mm filter style.

Reactions: jpmcwjr

burleybreath

Aug 29, 2019
Finger Lakes area, New York, USA
I only use rubbers on my car pipes, for secure clenching. Hated them initially. My other pipes have varying degrees of indentation, especially my Dunhills, which were acquired before learning that anyone anywhere cared. I still don't care. And I like filthy bowl rims. Ever seen Mark Twain's Peterson? Perfect pipes annoy me and look weirdly anal, probably owned by communists or lepers. Other than that mild quibble, each to his own, I say.