Staying Hydrated! What is Your Ideal RH for Non—Aromatics?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

5star

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 17, 2017
PacNW USA
If you took a survey & asked long time pipe smokers - (some having been at it for decades) - if they put Bovedas or other moisture devices in their pipe tobacco mason jars - you’ll find that they answer overwhelmingly ‘No’.

AKinser79

Might Stick Around
Aug 3, 2021
Central Florida
I would be interested in such a survey. I would also want to see if local climate has any impact on the need (real or perceived) for moisture control techniques.

Over the years I've heard of various people using various methods to control the moisture level of their pipe tobaccos: from putting an apple slice in their "open" jar to using hydration disks. I've experimented with a few, but experience has taught me, that for me, and where I live, I don't need to do anything.

As for sealed jars of tobaccos I'm aging they just need to be air tight and kept in a cool dark place. I have a shelf in my closet for such jars.

Reactions: jpmcwjr

craig61a

Lifer
Apr 29, 2017
Minnesota USA
In my opinion hydration devices for stored pipe tobacco is a solution in search of a problem…

Older tobacco storage jars weren’t airtight, and many came with a small chalk or similar material hydration device. Of course most of the blends back in those days could have been left out in the open in the Mojave and not dried out for eons…

I think the main reason for keeping cigars at a higher RH is so that the wrappers don’t become overly dry, and then crack open when the cigar is lit and smoked. Ever take a cigar outside in the dry winter weather?

Pipe tobacco is normally kept around 16-18% humidity. How that equates to RH in a sealed jar, I don’t know. I haven’t dropped any hygrometers in my sealed tobacco jars.

Using a hydration device inside a sealed tobacco container is in my mind akin to a Petri dish. Not necessary.

craig61a

Lifer
Apr 29, 2017
Minnesota USA
Just to opine a bit further...

People have been smoking pipes for decades, and while there were some pretty whacky marketing gimmicks incorporated into pipes in the past, the mechanics of pipes and storage of tobacco have remained pretty much straight forward.

The advent of the interwebs and the relative recent popularity of collecting and smoking pipes and buying up of all the popular blends seems to have generated a trend in complicating the whole process in some circles...

Stompthroat

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 5, 2021
Maryland
Just to opine a bit further...

People have been smoking pipes for decades, and while there were some pretty whacky marketing gimmicks incorporated into pipes in the past, the mechanics of pipes and storage of tobacco have remained pretty much straight forward.

The advent of the interwebs and the relative recent popularity of collecting and smoking pipes and buying up of all the popular blends seems to have generated a trend in complicating the whole process in some circles...
I think that's exactly right. I guess it's fairly recently that people started cellaring pipe tobacco. I wouldn't even bother with it, but especially since McClelland disappeared, I'm afraid I'll "lose" blends that I really like!

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I think that's exactly right. I guess it's fairly recently that people started cellaring pipe tobacco. I wouldn't even bother with it, but especially since McClelland disappeared, I'm afraid I'll "lose" blends that I really like!
I started 30 years ago not even realizing it was a thing. Prices would periodically rise and I wanted to stay ahead of it. The discontinuation of Mephisto ~20 years ago kicked my storing into overdrive.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I start my day with 2 30 oz Yeti cups full of Cafe Dumonde Coffee. I then switch to a couple of different vitamin waters the res of the day and night. If I had my choice I would be drinking the coffee all day and all night but I wouldn't get much sleep. I love coffee with anything. I used to drink de caf iced tea after my coffee but then switched to the vitamin waters as I do need to get my vitamins in. As far as booze, I am lucky if I can get 2 drinks in a month. I am on too many drugs that just don't mix with booze in any way.

Reactions: RamSeva and jpmcwjr

Johnkelly55

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 2, 2021
Lancaster, PA
About six months ago I found some mason jars packed away in a rather hot spot in FL… what a dunce I thought! We are talking about stuff like Frog Morton from 2012. And in Mason Jars, perfectly fine. Mason jars, way to go.
Any other dunce example, in another spot, I left some opened tins for just a year? Bone dry. Lesson learned…
JohnK

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
I prefer my tobacco very dry almost crispy. But the humidity in Wisconsin is so high lately, that if I bring a bowl out to dry, it ends up being more moist when I go to smoke it most days. But I work with what I got.
Is it that humid inside your house? Outdoors can be a bear, whether with excessive heat and low humidity or the reverse. You can also dry in microwave, or in regular oven. Heat it to 200º, turn it off, and put some open tobacco in there. Check it frequently.

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
Is it that humid inside your house? Outdoors can be a bear, whether with excessive heat and low humidity or the reverse. You can also dry in microwave, or in regular oven. Heat it to 200º, turn it off, and put some open tobacco in there. Check it frequently.
Yes it's been incredibly humid in our house. No central air, just a couple window units. Not helping much at all.

bwtharp

Lurker
Aug 19, 2021
Been trying to figure out what my ideal RH is. Been using 62% Bovedas but I think maybe 65% could be perfect.
what do you all use?
I've started using Boveda's for my pipe tobacco. I've used them for years for my cigars at 72%. Reading the Boveda website there is a well-hidden section on Pipe tobacco. They recommended 58% and 42% which they make bags for. My house is so humid we run AC or dehumidifiers most of the spring/summer/fall. I chose the 58%. It is experimental for me as I've only had them for pipe tobacco for about 3 months.

I'm liking the results so far. The tobacco is drier than what came from the factory but not so dry it's hay. I do everything, cut, plugs, rope. In the tin or a mason jar, everything gets a Boveda bag.

RamSeva

Lurker
Jul 18, 2021
I've started using Boveda's for my pipe tobacco. I've used them for years for my cigars at 72%. Reading the Boveda website there is a well-hidden section on Pipe tobacco. They recommended 58% and 42% which they make bags for. My house is so humid we run AC or dehumidifiers most of the spring/summer/fall. I chose the 58%. It is experimental for me as I've only had them for pipe tobacco for about 3 months.

I'm liking the results so far. The tobacco is drier than what came from the factory but not so dry it's hay. I do everything, cut, plugs, rope. In the tin or a mason jar, everything gets a Boveda bag.
Thanks you. I figure with a Boveda pack in my tobacco I can keep it exactly the right humidity all the time!
I’ve been experimenting with 62 and 65. I like the 65 a bit better, actually.

Homer

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 7, 2020
Finland
I Jeep my mason jars in plastic container with 65% Boveda.
After winter I looked my jars and SG BBF was invaded by white mold. Other jars were fine.
In winter the RH is as low as 15% and summer it Is something between 45-65%.
So 65% is too much. 58 % Boveda would be better.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Homer- That is dry as heck! You must not live near the sea. Elevation?

My ideal RH (at 70º) for tobacco is between 55% and 70%, depending on the cut. (Shag can be more moist than, say, flake)

I never use Boveda, and if in question I have several small hygrometers which can be dropped in a tin or jar to check.

Homer

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 7, 2020
Finland
I live in central part of Finland. In winter its -10 to -30 degrees celsius outside and inside +21 and 10-15RH.
Summer its +10 to +25 outside and inside +21 to +22 and RH something 40-70%.

boston

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 27, 2018
Boston
Adding moisture to pipe tobacco is too risky for attracting mold.
I have rehydrated tobacco many times using distilled water and even tap water. I agree that if you overdo it you can end up with mold, but if you don't overdo it it seems to have worked out pretty well for me in the past.

As to the proper RH, I do not treat pipe tobacco like cigars so I don't use bovida packs with pipe tobacco. I basically leave pipe tobacco to air out if it seems too hydrated. Proper hydration for me generally is that the tobacco will not crumble to dust or break apart if I load it into the bowl.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
I live in central part of Finland. In winter its -10 to -30 degrees celsius outside and inside +21 and 10-15RH.
Summer its +10 to +25 outside and inside +21 to +22 and RH something 40-70%.
Thanks.

What's that in real temperature? :)

Sounds cold. I am poor at C-F conversions, but good with grams-ounces, Kilometers-Miles.

Homer

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 7, 2020
Finland
Thanks.

What's that in real temperature? :)

Sounds cold. I am poor at C-F conversions, but good with grams-ounces, Kilometers-Miles.
-30 is -22F
-10 is14F
+21 is 70F
Winter the air is really dry and cigars and pipe tobacco will get dry if not properly stored.