Staying Hydrated! What is Your Ideal RH for Non—Aromatics?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

RamSeva

Lurker
Jul 18, 2021
Haha okay then. Ive tried the %62 in jars that were too wet and they’re dryer now but it seemed As though they lost some of their aroma (which would make sense).
I was hoping maybe one of y’all had found a sweet spot.

Reactions: yanoJL

Stompthroat

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 5, 2021
Maryland
Oh man! Everybody is giving you the cold shoulder. My brother gave me a lb of English blend in a standard Tupperware container, but it was pretty dried up! I used a new wet sponge to get it re hydrated.

I'm not sure what % it ended up, but it did the trick. I had to mix around and rewet the sponge about 3 times then it seemed good. Then I portioned it out in mason jars.

Reactions: yanoJL and RamSeva

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Oh man! Everybody is giving you the cold shoulder. My brother gave me a lb of English blend in a standard Tupperware container, but it was pretty dried up! I used a new wet sponge to get it re hydrated.

I'm not sure what % it ended up, but it did the trick. I had to mix around and rewet the sponge about 3 times then it seemed good. Then I portioned it out in mason jars.
Adding moisture to pipe tobacco is too risky for attracting mold.

I live in a dry climate (SoCal and Saint George) and most of the time I still need to dry my tobacco. My rotation is not left in their tins, but transferred to Mason jars and consumed from there.

Some of my rotation is 2-3 years old (not my cellar, but since I opened the tin for rotation) and it's still moist, some of it to the point it still needs drying before lighting up. Well, except for my Semois from the Ardennes valley, grown in soil soaked with the blood of courageous soldiers that fought in the Battle of the Bulge..... but I digress....

Semois ships bone dry.

A neat, well known trick to ADD some humidity to your tobacco:

• Grab your over-dry tobacco
  • fill your pipe with it.
  • Tamp it down as usual, as if it was the correct humidity
  • Take your mouth and place over the bowl make sure you have a seal on the bowl with your lips
  • Blow backwards into the bowl for like 10 seconds
  • Voila! Moist tobacco.
puffy

Reactions: krizzose

AKinser79

Might Stick Around
Aug 3, 2021
Central Florida
Been trying to figure out what my ideal RH is. Been using 62% Bovedas but I think maybe 65% could be perfect.
what do you all use?
I do not attempt to rehydrate "dried up" tobacco. I live in a very humid climate down here in Florida and find that I prefer my tobaccos to be a bit on the dry side. No matter how dry you think it is (down here) the ambient humidity and the combustion will release plenty of water vapor. Though if I had a tobacco that was too dry (very rare) I've used the same trick @sandollars mentioned.

Reactions: chopper and jpmcwjr