PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

perdurabo

Lifer
Jun 3, 2015
It's Smokey and the Bandit in Space. If you like the Bandit and Space movies, you may like it. I'd rather just watch Smokey and the Bandit.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Actually, it's a lot of fun, though it's overlong and could use a good 30 minutes shaved off. Still, there's plenty of action, spectacular visuals, and battles. Also there are some nice reminders to the audience not to take all of this so seriously, which, considering the number of people in the audience last night who were dressed up in various elaborate costumes, is not a bad thing. What I missed was the witty dialogue that Kasdan could provide. There are no memorable lines. At least it's not a rehash of the earlier episodes. They actually had to make stuff up. The interweaving between stories could have been handled more deftly. It's not the best StarWars film I've seen, but it's certainly better than the reboot and the prequels. It could have benefited with an editor like Marcia Lucas keeping things taut.

lifesizehobbit

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 23, 2015
I have a good friend who saw it last night who reviewed it for me without spoilers since he knows me so well. His advice to me:

1. I'd hate it.

2. Rent on Fire.
Now in fairness, I'm more a Trekkie than SW fan; I cannot deny that I got a little choked up last film when Han and Chewie upon entry to the Millennium Falcon and said, "We're home."

voorhees

Lifer
May 30, 2012
Gonadistan
I saw it last night as well. I'm now 46. In 1977 I was 6, the perfect age for Star Wars. These movies belong to me in a way, I'm sure many feel the same. I left the theatre a bit perplexed. While I enjoyed the movie as a true fan would, I found some items were left unanswered or thinly scripted. However, I found most of it entertaining and after I see it another 10-20 times I'll be able to see the bigger picture. It was in some ways hurtful to see the changes happen, but change is inevitable.

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
They're still making Star Wars movies?
Hollywood has a terminal case of intractable regurgitation.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
They're still making Star Wars movies?
Hollywood has a terminal case of intractable regurgitation.
It was always going to be a 9 episode story. When Disney bought the IP from Lucas they also got his outline for the 9 episodes comprising the Starwalker story line. So there's one more to go then that's the end of the original story line and all other films will be expansions of the StarWars universe in other ways.

mackeson

Mar 29, 2016
I've seen every Star Wars in the theater when released. I don't plan to break that as long as they keep making them. Yeah, the original 3 are iconic, but they are all entertaining to me.

brightleaf

Sep 4, 2017
I thought it was a good effort. The actress playing the lead role does a good job. The way films change with society's politics is evident. 5 of the 7 heroes are females with two being involved romantically with each other. All 5 of the villains are males, and there is an emphasis on associating wealth with something to be destroyed. I liked Luke Skywalker's dialogue more in this film than in any of the other films his character appeared. The Star Wars Universe is an epic story, one I think is best portrayed in Star Wars The Clone Wars animated series.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
I'm tired of being disappointed in Star Wars movies. The first three will remain in my mental library as the only three, and I will just save my money this go around. They've all sucked hard. Screw Disney.
The 1977 one wasn't bad. Everything since has been a soap opera. Too many better things to do with one's time than follow trends...

oldmansmoking

May 13, 2017
UK
It’s just taking an original storyline to far. Far far and away!!

A way of making money!

Perhaps they don’t know how to leave something alone.

The best know when enough is enough, that’s why they didn’t make anymore Falty Towers as one example of many.

Your killing it!

brightleaf

Sep 4, 2017
Fawlty Towers looks funny.
The one thing I noticed about the last few Star Wars movies is the return of the original cast to pass the torch. They endorsed the change in direction and the passing of their generation. This last movie in particular had a scene where that was implicitly stated. I don't think they are creating a rehash of the same story, they are going in a completely new direction. They may be riding the Name and Fame of Star Wars but it doesn't diminish what was already done. These new titles are nothing like the first 3, or 6. There was even a message in the trailers before the movie that was repeated and emphasized in the movie, let the past die to become what you were meant to be.

uperepik

(Oldtown)
Mar 8, 2017
I was fairly disappointed, 8 ranked for a close tie for last with Clone Wars in my opinion. Whoever did the writing and producing for Rogue One needs to do the Star Wars trilogy's. I did like the opening space battle though.

bluegrasspipe

Jan 13, 2017
I am going to see it in an hour, I am sure I will like it as the last two I really enjoyed. As a kid, star wars was my everything and it's nice to see a better spin on the story as apposed to the prequels IMHO.

Status
Not open for further replies.