PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

perdurabo

Lifer
Jun 3, 2015
I hope Solo is as good as Rogue One. Although with Ron Howard involved I won't hold my breath.

brightleaf

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 4, 2017
Sounds promising deleon. I didn't see an expected date when a film would be released. 2019 is when the last (Star Wars IX) movie will be released, they are not associated with that movie.

From the article

"The new series will be separate from the main episodic Skywalker saga"

“David and Dan are some of the best storytellers working today,” said Kathleen Kennedy, president of Lucasfilm, in a statement. “Their command of complex characters, depth of story and richness of mythology will break new ground and boldly push Star Wars in ways I find incredibly exciting.”

Mar 1, 2014
In general it helps to remember that George Lucas made Star Wars after one of his friends jokingly bet him he couldn’t make something popular (apparently in his early career George had no intention of doing anything more than odd indie films, which is now all he intends to do in retirement).

The franchise was always intended to have a very broad appeal.

Having seen Episode 8 now, I actually appreciate JJ Abram’s style a bit more (less nuanced writing but always cinematically brilliant), but I also understand that this is just another “middle act” in a larger story, it should end up being more enjoyable once we know the ending. Rian Johnson’s position was never enviable (besides the buckets of money he was guaranteed to get no matter what).
Ironically baby boomers are still the largest group of consumers in the world, if Solo turns out well then Disney might start to re-consider the direction of the franchise and who they’re actually marketing toward, if they aren’t already...

Hiring Game of Thrones writers sounds like a good idea, The Old Republic is a good thematic fit (I don’t want Star Wars to go “Hard R” but they could certainly use a dose of serious writing).

This sounds like Disney is cooking up some “must watch” serialized content to compete with Netflix.

perdurabo

Lifer
Jun 3, 2015
"We're Doomed"
Damn, they don't know when to quit. More trash for the compactor. Wonder who they'll throw down the shoot this time?

Status
Not open for further replies.