PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
Well, just brought home a new bulldog, bow wow.

This dog's shedding, though: after a water rinse and some time drying out on the dish rack, I passed a paper towel over it and noticed some rust colouration on the paper. After rubbing it all over with said paper towel I ended up with this:

_MG_1691.jpg

Besides suing @jpmcwjr for damages... Is there anything I can do to keep the stain from rubbing off? Or is taking it back to the shop to get it fixed the best approach?

geopiper

Can't Leave
Jan 9, 2019
This happened to me too. I wonder if it is caused by using a water based dye rather than alcohol or oil based?

Reactions: anotherbob

irishearl

Lifer
Aug 2, 2016
Kansas
Well, just brought home a new bulldog, bow wow.

This dog's shedding, though: after a water rinse and some time drying out on the dish rack, I passed a paper towel over it and noticed some rust colouration on the paper. After rubbing it all over with said paper towel I ended up with this:

View attachment 100942

Besides suing @jpmcwjr for damages... Is there anything I can do to keep the stain from rubbing off? Or is taking it back to the shop to get it fixed the best approach?
As an aside, when you water flushed, did you allow water to simply flow over the bowl? Don't know if that sort of thing should take stain off, but the only time and way I flush with water is when a bowl is a bit clogged. I use an eye dropper to fill a bowl with very hot water, holding it for a few minutes and then dumping the water. Then proceeding with other implements.

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
I wouldn't worry too much. It doesn't look like much came off. Do you have any other pics to show if more did come off?
Some might. Not sure if these were there before:

_MG_1699.jpg

when you water flushed, did you allow water to simply flow over the bowl?
Mostly. I got some dish soap on the outside of the stummel too. I didn't get any soap in the chamber or draught hole, and I did leave the water run for a while into the chamber and out of the mortise. Lukewarm water.

Heck, I was expecting the chamber coating to rub off, but none did! Instead the stain came off. This pipe's all reversed! ? Wonder if instead of "bow-wow" it's gonna make "meow".

Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
As a Mod, I'm pretty sure he's been granted legal immunity from any adverse effects resulting from his patented "treatments".

My advice is just keep washing it until the stain stops running off.
and then coat the outer surface with more or less matching high pigment shoepolish, do this repeatedly 2 to 3 times puffing all residual shoe polish off using quality shoebrush and cotton cloth

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
Well, a bit of an update: I got a replacement from Brigham...

...and an entreaty with an explanation: Do not wash the pipe before smoking it. Stained pipes usually have three types of wax applied to set the stain. When washing the pipes the first waxing was also washed off, leaving the pipe down to bare stain, which, even though it's alcohol-based, can come off in one's hands.

Upon smoking it, the heat seals the wax.

I'm assuming the heat seals the wax permanently. ? Regardless, I won't be washing this one even after smoking it piping hot several times, unless it sours or gets too sooty. Just not worth the trouble.

Reactions: OzPiper

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
I do it to remove dust, factory grunge, etc. I just flush out the chamber and airway with very hot water. That results in the exterior getting wet, too, but I have never had finish come off due to that.

Reactions: Grangerous

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
All my pipes have become dull, and had a feeling it had something to do with the water flushing. That doesn't bother me though. I didn't think that could be the reason all my fills are showing up now!

Reactions: Casual
Do not wash the pipe before smoking it. Stained pipes usually have three types of wax applied to set the stain. When washing the pipes the first waxing was also washed off, leaving the pipe down to bare stain, which, even though it's alcohol-based, can come off in one's hands.
That's the biggest load of BS I have ever read. Washed the wax off? WTF, wax is water resistant by its very nature. Plus, it looked like that pipe was actually dissolving. Brigham just made my lists of pieces of shit never to even consider buying.

I'm sorry this is happening to your pipe, but I would have told them where to cram that piece of shit. I've washed hundreds of pipes, without the wax ever dissolving. Never.

pauls456

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 19, 2020
Tucson, Arizona
Some do, some don't, depending on the wood, the maker, the stain, the seal, etc.
Speaking for myself, I don't think water should be put into contact with the rim or outer surface of a pipe.