PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
Yeah, these guys get a little steering wheel for the back seat too, they think they're driving, keeps em happy.
Leave my back seat steering wheel outta this, you... you... Canadisian! :mad:

Regarding washing or not, I do the only sensible thing. The full, four hour, high-heat, max-soap dishwasher cycle for the stummel, and the stem in a pot of boiling alcohol while that's going on... between puffs.

Yes, you read that right. One puff, and off to the kitchen. Every time, every smoke, every day, no exceptions.

Only filthy animals without tastebuds would smoke a pipe any other way.

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
But, many times I have used a toothbrush to clean up the outside of my pipes with no problems. Never has getting any part of my pipes wet caused wax or pieces of the surface to come off.
If I'm cleaning an estate that's grimey, I scrub with an electric toothbrush and liquid soap, in addition to a hot water flush.

Dry off with paper towels, then some briar reconditioning balm (proprietory, so no knowing what's in it) and hand buffing with micromesh pads and they're good to go. Never had any stain come off.

The pipes often appear lighter in appearance after. I imagine it's the grime, rather than the stain being scrubbed off.

Reactions: mingc