St. Patrick's Day Peterson Arrived Today.

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 8, 2013
Neither did I. Blackberry I believe it was.
I'm kicking myself... that could have been interesting.
Well..... waiting until Saint Patrick's Day to load up the new Pete didn't happen. Curiosity got the best of me and I loaded it up with some Old Toby. Being my first P-lip stemmed pipe, it is a bit of a learning curve figuring out the best place to place the bit for comfort and function. It's a bit weird, but I can't say I hate it, and I'm sure I'll get used to it. Also, I have read that some claim they get less flavor from the smoke because the smoke is directed toward the roof of your mouth as opposed to across the tongue. I actually was getting much more sweetness and flavor from an already sweet blend. Could have been the pipe itself, I suppose, but I wonder if it's because the smoke rises toward the roof of your mouth and then fans out and down and then across the tongue. All I know for certain is that I was indeed having a wonderfully flavorful smoke. I did have to relight a few times. This pipe will need some breaking in. But it still wasn't a terrible amount of relights. For the most part, I'm quite happy with this pipe. I bet it will be smoking like a champ in no time at all :puffy:

cohibajoe

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 2, 2018
Branchburg, NJ
SP has another patch for those who may missed out. Not sure about P-lip for me..But checking around I did find 2016 St Patty's B10 and Wessex Gold Brick.

madox07

Lifer
Dec 12, 2016
anthonyrosenthal74 pretty looking pipe. Enjoy it in good health. I love the way they put the green stain on it, so you can see the nice grain in the bowl.

gerryp

Oct 8, 2018
Arabi, LA
I felt bad about giving the SP people s*** over a problem with an order. I figured the only way to make up for that was to buy a St. Patrick's Day 302 from them last night. My conscience is now clear, and I'm excited about getting it.

donpumsey

Lurker
Feb 10, 2019
Smoking the second bowl in my 303 right now. It's a great smoker and the finish on the outside is beautiful. I am not a fan of the finish on the inside, however. How do you guys feel about the dip stain on these things? I decided to just smoke through it but I'm wondering if I should have wiped the inside out with alcohol first.

coxman

Lurker
Sep 15, 2018
<p>I received mine today and I can’t even express how happy I am with this pipe. Love the grain and color. And packing was exquisite. I have been running into bad luck with the last 3 purchases having to return all of them. This one came from spc and I doubt I will buy a pipe from anyone else. Super happy. Now to convince myself to actually smoke it

Jan 8, 2013
I am not a fan of the finish on the inside, however. How do you guys feel about the dip stain on these things?
Had a private conversation with CCW about that. I'm not sure it's dip stained, I think it's just a different bowl coating than what they normally use. I scraped at mine some and underneath it showed briar. I eventually scraped most of mine out in between the first few smokes. Bowl coatings don't really bother me, but if Peterson is switching to that as a coating, I'll probably remove it on future purchases. Other than that, I'm happy with mine.
Coxman, glad you got a winner :clap: Enjoy the heck out of it!

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
I purchased an estate Spigot from the 1990's and it appears dip stained. There was stain in the bowl, the shank and the airway. It was crazy. But all it took was a good salt and alcohol bath, some pipe cleaners and q-tips. It's perfectly fine and since I only gave $80 for an unsmoked estate, I'm not complaining.
I essentially only have Ryan Aldens and Petersons in my collection. I don't inspect the Aldens, but I check the Petersons, not because I've been burned, but because I'm aware there have been issues.

donpumsey

Lurker
Feb 10, 2019
Anthony, I ended up scraping mine out too. It bubbled up after the first two bowls so it was easily removed. Such a pretty pipe was worth a little elbow grease. St. Patrick's day is my birthday so now that I've got it smoking well I'm going to set it aside and look forward to a good birthday smoke!

gerryp

Oct 8, 2018
Arabi, LA
Sexy, yes? It smoked surprisingly well out of the box too.
img_20190218_181721-600x450.jpg

May 9, 2018
Raleigh, NC
Oh yeah, the coating on the inside of mine did the same. I just scrape it away as I empty and scrape out the bowl after each smoke. Whatever shakes loose, shakes loose. I had another pipe do this in the past too. Kind of odd that it doesn't stick after firing the bowl, but at least it's easily removed.
Mine smokes very well, but I got a whistler. It was so bad you could hear it with every puff on a full bowl. I worked on it and got it down to at least only noticing the whistle on a very hard pull on only when the bowl is empty. I reckon that's a win.

Status
Not open for further replies.