PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

sparroa

Lifer
Dec 8, 2010
Late last night, I cracked open a two year old tin of St. Bruno Flake made by Mac Baren.
It is my first time trying the blend and I have to say that I was expecting something very different. This is one case where many of the reviews have been extremely misleading. I think that is the trouble with legendary brands that have gone through so many incarnations - a lot of people are discussing a completely different beast...
The tobacco and its essence were much lighter than I imagined. Pleasant in all respects, but fairly mild in taste and strength. I know this isn't a new tin but I did not expect the flavouring to be so subdued. All things considered it was relatively complex and old fashioned in character so that much was accurate.
The dark spicy elements so many people referenced, however, seem to be less than advertised and I think the Kentucky component is not as prominent as people have stated. Nothing about St. Bruno is in your face - it is a well integrated Virginia burley blend according to my tastes. It may include Kentucky but it is not defined by Kentucky.
I would also firmly disagree with descriptions calling this tobacco soapy - there may be a very light floral element in the topping but I find it completely integrated in the smoke with the other flavours and not akin to outright floral soapiness found in other blends with a British heritage. I have tasted more soap in latakia blends, even.
As I had enjoyed a bottle of red wine and some Full Virginia Flake beforehand, I am not prepared to give St. Bruno a proper review as my tasting abilities might have been thrown off by these other influences but I just wanted to chime in with some of my first impressions.
Many of you will know that St. Bruno uses vinegar as a preservative. I find it makes for a pleasant flavouring agent as well because the light acidity makes for a more interesting smoke. The vinegar is actually the first thing I smell and taste but it is not overpowering; if anything, it might be even a little refreshing and responsible for making old Bruno a little more unique and enjoyable than it would otherwise be.
By the way, my tin has just begun to rust slightly where it meets the lid but I suspect one could go 4-5 years before rust poses any danger to the tobacco or the tin's integrity.
Beyond the risk of rusting, the worst part about St. Bruno Flake is its price. I find it agreeable on all fronts but the premium paid for this tobacco is unwarranted. I know that licenses must be paid and I am very glad that it was revived for the US market but there are many tobaccos that I prefer for 20-30% less in price.
Everything is worth what its purchaser will pay for it but this quality flake is unfortunately not worth the coin for me. I would gladly buy it on sale for a special occasion or on the fly while traveling but it is not something I would cellar very deeply...
With that said, I may end up eating crow in the next few weeks because it seems like a blend that one must learn to appreciate over time. It is not a showstopper, but probably more of an old standby. I would certainly buy it more regularly if it was affordable and widely available like in its heyday back in the UK...
Has anyone else found reviewers to be all over the place with this one?

hugodrax

Can't Leave
Jan 24, 2013
St Bruno got Macbarened. Not as brutally as Erinmore Flake, but pretty close. The old stuff was sustaining rather than effervescent.

gnarlybriar

Might Stick Around
Jun 11, 2009
Chesterfield, VA
re: St Bruno got Macbarened.

I like that - mind if I use it?

And, yes, the old StB was sustaining - I would smoke a bowl once each year, which sustained my need for it for quite a long time (365+ days).

Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
Thank You Mr Simenon, Its one of my go-to blends, I like the way how Mc Barens does this, subtle but unique flavors and is less harsh than Imperial tobacco produced one.Moreover the Condor long cut is starting strangely to appeal to me lately,but this one specifically prefer smoking in meerschaum in order to minimize any possibly ghosting issues.

madox07

Lifer
Dec 12, 2016
I appreciate the review. St. Bruno is somewhat of a quest for me, trying to find one in order to check it off my list as another classic under my belt. For some odd reason, I cannot find it in Europe, but your review made my itch a bit less annoying.

workman

Lifer
Jan 5, 2018
The Faroe Islands
I consider St Bruno Flake a mildly topped va/bur where the dark fired becomes more pronounced towards the end of the bowl. The topping is some kind of fruit or berries. Citrusy. In many ways reminding me of Hal o' the Wynd. It is fairly complex to me and the nic hit is about medium or maybe a little less. Several of the reviewers describe it as a heavily topped lakeland with a strong dose of nicotine, so I am guessing they refer to an earlier version.

Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
Today's St Brunos whether its Mc baren or Imperial produced are far from being heavy Lakeland topped, nicotine is a medium or little bit more.And as Mr.Workman stated The Dark Fired becomes more noticeable towards the end of the bowl(topping is like faint vinegary fruity, citrusy and floral)

didache

Can't Leave
Feb 11, 2017
London, England
Like Paulie, St Bruno is one of my go-to blends. It has always been a little subdued I think, at least compared to Condor which is a little more 'in your face'. I don't think McBaren do a bad job either.
Mike

sparroa

Lifer
Dec 8, 2010
Good points, gentlemen. I can agree with many of the opinions shared here.
I fired up another bowl of St. Bruno yesterday. I still did not get an obvious dark fired presence but I can see that it was probably involved in the heavier taste towards the latter half of the bowl. Honestly, I enjoyed it less than my first impression but it is still a decent tobacco overall. The starting taste is good but the flavours become a little coarse for my liking as the bowl progresses.
Smoking St. Bruno Flake upon an empty stomach, I suspect that it is a little stronger than I first gave it credit for. I think medium-plus nicotine is probably more fair; it certainly isn't one of the knockout blends but it has more kick than Full Virginia Flake, for example, which I consider to be medium. I still don't completely trust my assessment on this because I had been drinking more coffee than usual earlier in the day so I was amped up a little and that makes me feel more sensitive to the nic.
Anyway, I am glad that some of you seem to share a few of my observations on the current version. I try to disregard all the nostalgic reviews on TR.com because even many recent ones are drawing upon extinct versions made in decades past. I'm happy to have tried this blend but I will not be buying any more. I generally prefer straight Virginia or burley tobacco over this kind of old school "aromatic" flake and I cannot see this becoming a regular smoke for me.

kola

Lifer
Apr 1, 2014
Colorado Rockies, Cripple Creek region
I enjoy St Bruno Flake from time to time. Sometimes it reminds me of hints of Esoterica's Stonehaven.
St Bruno RR and their bulk is good too - but I like flakes best. It has seemed to have changed over the years (like so many older blends) but I still like it. And old or new, I never thought it was "lakeland-like."

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
I've said it before, and I'll say it again.
Denmark is the place where classic British blends go to die.
That said, I still enjoy St Bruno, though not as much as the Ogden's version. And I like Savinelli Doblone d'Oro as a replacement for the Va/Per version of Three Nuns. And, the A C Peterson version of Escudo was absolutely top notch. But having finally opened a tin of the STG version that's been aging for 6 years, I'm thinking it's better dumped at the bottom of the Marianas Trench.
And I'm not suggesting that Denmark can't turn out excellent tobacco blends, not at all. But while the blends that they originate can be wonderful, the British recreations leave something to be desired IMHO.

kola

Lifer
Apr 1, 2014
Colorado Rockies, Cripple Creek region
weezel, years back I was gifted a big bag of STB bulk from a friend in the UK. It was similar to a thin broken flake and he told me it was available in bulk there. This was maybe 5-6 years ago. Maybe some UK guys will chime in about it.

erhardt85

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 14, 2017
When you mentioned the price tag not fitting the tobacco I immediately thought of three nuna and capstan also. I understand in America we have it good when it comes to price, but 14.50 for 50 grams isnt cheap for tobacco period in my eyes. If I'm buying Capstan or Three Nuns I either wait for it to go on sale or buy aged tins for about the same price at my local tobacco shop. A lot of the MB tins I find locally have 5 years of age to start.

Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
St Bruno is my comfort' tobacco I have to have it at least once in a week,oh Yes,and as with many other Mc Baren tobaccoes this STB benefits from some drying time prior to smoke,just now I'm smoking this Erinmore flake from five years old square tin,pretty interesting blend ,offers good strength,but even after five year in air tight sealed tin this comes unbelievable moist.

workman

Lifer
Jan 5, 2018
The Faroe Islands
I really like St Bruno as well. I have only smoked one pouch so far, so I can't tell if it is eternal love, but I have one left and I am planning on getting some more for the jars.

hugodrax

Can't Leave
Jan 24, 2013
I couldn’t possibly add anything to sablebrush’s post. He hit the nail squarely on its head and drove it home. I once posted a rant about what the Dane’s did to Erinmore Flake. I’ve since calmed down. The problem is that they get the saucing absolutely spot on and then put it on the wrong tobacco.
I still like St Bruno. But they certainly emasculated the poor fellow.

sparroa

Lifer
Dec 8, 2010
I cannot say if STG's Escudo lives up to the A&C Petersen version, but I could never classify it as bad tobacco.
I consider Escudo to be one of the best blends available today. I have smoked tins dated as far back as 2009 - fresh and aged - with only good things to report. It may not be for all tastes but one can certainly do worse.
Even though they are not comparable, Escudo is actually one of the tobaccos I had in mind instead of St. Bruno for a better smoking experience at a lower cost. (Though the price for my favourite coins is steadily increasing)
I also cannot comment on the older versions of St. Bruno and try to judge the current production on its own merits but it is often hard to ignore the brand's historic reputation. I'm a sucker for these nostalgia blends but I am sure the reproductions often have little in common with their namesake. We have seen that discussed time and again regarding Three Nuns...
Anyways, I have decided to keep two St. Bruno flakes for immediate consumption and the rest has been jarred for a future date. I'm glad to have given it try but I have too much open tobacco in my rotation right now to introduce another blend that would only be smoked on a rare occasion.
Erinmore Flake will still probably be my once-in-a-blue-moon old school aromatic smoke since it is half the price and fairly decent. Again, I have only smoked the STG creation so I cannot lament the loss of the Murray's blend. I am often left with the feeling that Erinmore is missing something but I am reasonably content with its status as an affordable and widely available tinned blend.

Status
Not open for further replies.