PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

rebornbriar

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 21, 2013
United Kingdom
Yes, it does have that buttery quality to the smoke. It is not a heavy latakia blend and has more oriental content, which is more perfume like than the smokiness of the latakia . So if you have been smoking Va/Lat only blends, this will taste strange to you at first. Personally, it is a blend that I enjoy when I am in an English mood and find it similar to Dunhill London Mixture which would be my other go to English blend.
If you want to try more of a straight Va/Lat mix from Sam Gawith, try their Skiff Mixture - never mentioned as much as SL and slips under the radar, but is a nice latakia blend. For a real lat bomb, their Commonwealth Mixture contains 50% latakia!

latbomber

Part of the Furniture Now
May 10, 2013
I think its meh. Pretty flat compared to the more thick englishes I like. One thing I do like it for is I mix in the scraps of my other blends with it when the tin is done. Gives SL a better latakia kick and makes it more interesting.

canadianbiggame

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 24, 2013
Edmonton Alberta
Smoked Squadron Leader for the first time tonight. I don't think this is a blend for me either, it was very perfume scented. In my wifes words it was stinky and tastes bad. I thought I would not like this tobacco from the moment that I opened it and took my first scent.
I'm not sure what it is that I dislike about this tobacco, but I know for certain than I do not like it. I know it sounds silly but I had such high hopes for this tobacco working on aircraft and being in the RCAF I was drawn to Squadron Leader. I read the reviews and its very hit or miss an absolute love or hate. People are either for or against this, and as for me I am against it.

canadianbiggame

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 24, 2013
Edmonton Alberta
Oh, and give it away to someone who enjoys SL. Because Squardon Leader is not one of those blends you can jar and hope it "improves" for you later. If anything, later on it's worse than you first remembered it.
I'm going to hold onto what I have left I gave a few samples to friends this weekend, and now that I know I'm not too fond of er I'll be giving it away to friends with every chance I get.

Apr 26, 2012
Washington State
Skiff Mixture and Perfection also both by Samuel Gawith are very good blends as well. In my opinion they're a step up from Squadron Leader in the latakia department so you might give those a try.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Talk about mixed reviews. I think I'll let the Squadron fly on without me. If I encounter it as a sample

at a pipe show, and really like it, it will be a pleasant surprise.

drayve85

Starting to Get Obsessed
I bought a tin of this a few weeks ago. I was somewhat stoked to try it, due to some reviews I had read. So I packed a bowl while driving cuz of the excitement.(which is somewhat tricky, and very dumb on my part, in the safe driving department) But, nonetheless the bowl was packed, and at first I don't think I really liked too much, partially due to my inexperience with the lovely Latakia. Suffice to say, I didn't finish the bowl, and continued to smoke some of te other blends I had acquired. Then, a couple weeks later, after getting more acquainted with lat, and englishes, I tried the SL again, and to my amazement it tasted amazing! I had an oz. of a local B&Ms English blend called Darwin Asa, and it took me a few days, and a few more bowls to get into it, because I believe it is an oriental forward, with Latakia.(Not too sure, as I am still a Noob with all this) but, anyways back to te point, SL is one of my favorite blends, and will prolly be in my rotation for some time to come. My only qualm with it is the vitamin N content, but I believe that can be rectified with a pinch or three of some 5 brothers!lol

eazye77

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 21, 2012
I'm with you Mrjerke!
I can't stand the stuff myself. Not my cup of tea at all! :oops:

salewis

Can't Leave
Jan 27, 2011
Squadron Leader is my go to tobacco when I want to enjoy a latakia blend. Being a Virginia tobacco smoker I enjoy the strong essence of Virginia and pared with the Turkish and latakia it provides me considerable satisfaction. I think that some people think Squadron Leader from Gawith has a perfume taste, however, there are no additives in this tobacco unless the Turkish reminds some smokers as perfume. I definitely wouldn't call this tobacco a Lakeland blend.

slownumbers39

Can't Leave
Jul 29, 2012
Because Squardon Leader is not one of those blends you can jar and hope it "improves" for you later. If anything, later on it's worse than you first remembered it.
I have to disagree with this in my case. I absolutely disliked/hated Squadron Leader when I first tried it, thought it tasted terrible. For some reason I put it away for 4-6 weeks and eventually tried it again and the flavour changed dramatically for me. I have just finished my first tin, ordered and just received 2 more and I popped one tin open to "age" for me and I will come back to it around Christmas time and enjoy.
Have to say that Squadron Leader went from being one of my most disliked to favourite pipe smokes, I am glad that I held onto it and let it age some. Jar it up if at first you dislike, and go back to it at a later date would be my advice to anyone that does not like SL straight out of a freshly openned tin.

tuold

Lifer
Oct 15, 2013
Beaverton,Oregon
I'm still learning to interpret the taste of tobacco blends, but I do enjoy Squadron Leader. I always get the feeling of being in a ponderosa pine forest when I light it up. My enjoyment of it seems to depend on which pipe I put in. The cooler the smoke the better for me.

stbruno70

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 9, 2013
I have found that I like it occasionally in small quantities but it can get monotonous. Never noticed a floral note, but then again the entire SG factory is probably awash in the stuff, so maybe some rose or geranium sneaks in.

Status
Not open for further replies.