PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

newportpipe

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 7, 2011
Newport Beach, CA
Several months ago, I took a flyer on two 250g boxes of SG SL long forgotten in a cigar shop. Today, I thought I’d try it out.

I removed the plastic and opened the box and removed the plastic baggie only to discover that the tobacco had been completely dried out. Like, really dried out. No spring in it and “crunchy” to the touch.

The date code appears to be from 2005.

Can the Squadron Leader be rescued or, is he gone forever?

I have read posts about reviving dried out tobacco but, I have never attempted it.

FD5FFC63-B0F4-4C67-80BE-B183586C9333.jpeg

CFFABED3-F308-4335-ACC7-B2F48887E2E3.jpeg

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
I’d probably just jar it and smoke it as is. Unless you think you could get a refund from the shop. (Haha)
I’d use a bunch of jelly jars because opening a larger jar repeatedly is only going to dry it more.

mingc

Lifer
Jun 20, 2019
The Big Rock Candy Mountains
05 258 isn't 2005, but May 5, 2017. The "05" is the day of the month, and "258" is months after Nov. 1995.

Old time blenders spritz water on tobacco to keep them moist and mixed with their bare hands. I doubt they used distilled water, but you can.

If you want to be more delicate, put the tobacco in a bowl and a moist towel on top of the bowl. Check in a day or two.

By the way, SL isn't a latakia bomb, but south of midway in SG's line of English/Balkans, between Skiff and Commonwealth. And not all latakia smells like it came out of a smoker. Some smell more like they came from a tar pit.

Good luck!

dcon

Lifer
Mar 16, 2019
Jacksonville, FL
I have had the same experience as dquisenberry (as a former Missourian and lifelong Cardinal fan, who spent most of his adult life in KC that, moniker always gets me). That tobacco is definitely salvageable and may even be stupendous. I have brought back Dunhill tins that were in excess of 35 years and some of them were quite sublime.

rushx9

Lifer
Jul 10, 2019
Shelby, NC
Went to the store and purchased distilled water. Was planning on the towel method. Can spritzing it directly lead to “mold” or something else? Spritz then jar? A large bowl? Sorry, just new to this process.
Shouldn't have to worry if it's a fine mist and you only add a tiny amount at time. I'd try it dry. Might be perfect. The bowl will rehydrate itself after a few puffs from the moisture generated from combustion.

newportpipe

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 7, 2011
Newport Beach, CA
Also, start by only rehydrating a few bowls worth at a time. Best way to not have to worry about mold. And if you find you prefer it in its dry state you haven't fudged the whole batch.
Yessir! I have wide-mouth mason jars and I’m going to start packing them directly. I’ll keep some on the side to smoke As I go. Think I’ll start in about an hour. Thank you all.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
I've enjoyed reasonable success with rehydration. The tobacco may not be what it would have been had it not dried out, but you might be pleasantly surprised by what you do get.

I usually place it in a Pyrex baking dish, cover the top with paper toweling that's been soaked with distilled water, and check back in a few hours, sometimes a day. I'll stir the tobacco when I check it. You don't want to over hydrate as you can invite mold to form.
Once pliant, jar the tobacco and give it a few day to a week for the water to gradually even out through the leaf.

greeneyes

Lifer
Jun 5, 2018
Passive humidification chamber made from a disposable salad container from the supermarket. Small Tupperware with bottled water and a small sponge to wick water and aid evaporation. Humidity was monitored from within. Occasionally I'll open the chamber, redistribute the tobacco, and pinch it to check it's pliancy.

IMG_20200530_052137.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.