Sports Comments. Whatever. Let\'s Here it.

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

dunendain

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 22, 2009
Hey Brazz. There will be long faces here in LA today.
Gios, would you like to come to LA and help me shape my shots? I am just starting back to hitting straight now, since coming back from surgery : )
Pistol, since my layoff, hybrids are the new thing, but I can't hit one for crap. I do like my Callaway Hyper X driver. The golf balls today, being 4 piece balls with internal weights, do seem to fly somewhat straighter.
Anyone have a favorite for the U.S. Open? I would have to say Dustin Johnson would be a good pick.

dunendain

Jul 22, 2009
Oh yeah Surfmac. Sawgrass and Kona are 2 great things about Jacksonville. That I saw.

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
Hey Dune,
I have thought about a "hybrid", but decided against acquiring one for now.

I don't really have a problem with my second shot from the fairway, and I'm never too aggressive from the deep rough.

I have an old 5 wood that is a trusted friend.

Over the years I have learned to shape it and control the distance very well with it.

Then the 100 yards & in clubs; I do well with a standard set of Eyeruns.

My difficulties are being consistent off the tee, and judging pace when putting.
Do you guys have a favorite odd-ball club?

Mine is a runt of a 7 iron. I usually get some ribbing when I break out my "sawed off" seven. It's about as long as a kiddy putter. I got it when I first started playing back in the 70's.

I use it around the green when I need to fabricate a shot. When I use it I feel like I can chip into a dixie cup from just about anywhere around the green.

giospro

Lurker
Apr 14, 2009
Salt Lake City, Ut
pstlpkr

"You Adding 25 yrds is pretty cool, keep it going"
The High Tech drivers are a lot easier to use, good for distance and straighter.

I have an Taylormade Burner Driver that i hit between 290-310+ depends on the wind and since i got that driver i've been hitting it straighter and longer, i think the High Tech drivers is a way to go-I would Recommend.
If you go out and try them try all differents kinds/brands of drivers first, let the driver pick you, i'm a touch & fill player, i go by the fill/sound/control of the club.
The question is I don't hit my driver all the time maybe 1 to 4 times in 18 holes (Dog legs L-R/Par threes, etc)

i use my 5 wood & 3 Wood most of the time.
dunendain

Where did you have the surgery at?

well i'll be in Cal next year doing the pepsi tour and the golden state tour, if you need lessons we'll have get together and go golfing, a playing lesson on the course 18 holes+
Happy Pipe Smoking..

dunendain

Jul 22, 2009
I had 3 colon cancer surgeries at City of Hope cancer hospital in Duarte. They preformed a miracle with robotic surgery. No other hospital wanted to touch me.
Giospro, when you come I will take you up on lessons anytime. There is a course about 2 miles from here, that Fred Couples designed, called Lost Canyons. There are many more. My biggest problem has going from 100+ mph down to 88. I have learned to use more club. I am also going to trade in or sell my Ben Hogan Apex blade on some game improvement irons. My son just bought some Cobra SZ irons that are sweet.

giospro

Lurker
Apr 14, 2009
Salt Lake City, Ut
dunendain
That cool, the pepsi tour plays there alot

Pepsi Twilight Tour - Lost Canyons

Lost Canyons Golf Club
"We'll have to keep in touch"

Keep a smooth Rhythm to your swing and if you watch Fred Couples, his swing is slow and smooth i think it's in the upper 90's but not sure on that, i'm about 95. (You don't need to hit it real fast to make it 300 yrds, it's the way you hit it)

What type clubs are you looking for? Taylormade,PING,Cobra? Remember to try Different kinds of irons first.

PING has the G15's good improvement irons- I'm a big PING fan but Taylormade R9 TP felt better to me with better control than the PING's but everyone is different on what they like and fill, I do have an PING Tour Wedge.

dunendain

Jul 22, 2009
I used to play Ping2, but sold them in the 90s. I was looking at Golfsmith pre-owned. Anything with some game improvement cavity. I love the R7s, or Cobra irons. Money is an issue right now, because of medical bills. I may see what they have at Play it Again Sports. I am using a low compression ball from Callaway. It seems to help. My son hits a 9 iron to the green, I use a 6. That's cool. Like you say, I just swing smoother. We have quite a bit of fun playing a local par course. Golf is a great game, that can be enjoyed by a variety of folks. I love it.

jcosmoasp

Might Stick Around
Jan 12, 2010
Sacramento, CA
US-1 England-1 I'll settle for that as a good start in the World Cup! I'd bet the odds sheet shows a tick down from the 100/1 odds posted yesterday. Wish I'd bet yesterday...

dunendain

Jul 22, 2009
Great weekend in sports. Loved watching world cup. America has it's best team in maybe 50 years. Draw with England, was incredible. I know the English are very sore about this. My family like the German team as well. 4-0 over Austrailia.
Golf. Congrats to Lee Westwood, one of the classiest guys on tour.
Bostons beats the Lakers again. Maybe game 7.

dunendain

Jul 22, 2009
Any favorites for the U.S. Open? I pick Stewart Cink, or Westwood. Who knows? I just love smoking my favorite blend of the moment watching golf. My father actually played Pebble Beach, but he had no appreciation for it. Unless the course is in Florida, or Alabama, he doesn't enjoy being there. He is still fighting the Civil War.

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
I have to vote for "Who Knows".

This year I think it's anybody's tourney for the taking.

Just depends on who can string together a series of great rounds.

hobie1dog

Lifer
Jun 5, 2010
Cornelius, NC
Just too much sensationalizm and the obsession with the "winning at all costs" mentality that goes with it. People trying to get the attention of the media camera's shouting and shoving their fingers in the air with their false pride showing that "we're #1" Millions of childhoods, countless hours of practice, taken up with the promise of being a superstar, only to find out that either injury ( that you have to live with the rest of your adult life )or not making the team, ends it all in despair and depression because then you are mentally forever labeled a "loser" .

Then there are the rediculous salaries just to play a game. Like recently in the paper an article about a football kicker and he averaged 1 million dollars per kick that he made the last year. Or the complaints about how much it costs to attend a sporting event, like here in Charlotte at the NASCAR race where a ticket costs 80.00 to sit in the "chicken bones section" and then people have the ignorance to question why all their sponsors products cost more now...DUH...
Just like the incredibly wrong reasoning behind putting competitions in the Arts. Now a group of judges somehow determines that one musical performance is somehow better that the other, and once again, someone has to end up the loser. Been there, done that. Personal interpretation and presentation of a piece of music should not be judged. Feeling, communication with the audience, and the ability of the musician to captivate the listeners emotions and stir their soul is dismissed because they "missed" a note somewhere, so the other winner goes away with all the awards even though their performance was sterile and dead.
See...I told you I should have not posted on this thread. :) Ya had to get me started....LOL

Status
Not open for further replies.