PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Just did an accurate count of my pipes. I have 30 military mount pipes. I have 3 silver spigot Ardors, and two silver spigot Rinaldos.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Yes. Some spigots - maybe most- have a collar over the stummel, but the inside of the mortise is not silver; it's briar. And yet, on mine, the contact is with the edge of the collar, not the wood as the tenon slides into the mortise.
I have a Pete, a Sav and a Dunny silver spigot. No problems, but not great clinchers, except the Sav, which is light, as well as bent.

Wasn’t there a story to them? Like soldiers in the trenches fixed their pipes with shell casings to strengthen the stem so that it can be broken down more quickly, or something like that? I think, and I am only an expert in my own opinions, that whether a spigot is great for clenching depends on the overall design. Size, weight, how well the design is for making the join at the stem. My military stemmed pipes with wood on vulcanite seem to grip better. And, better being my limited experience with what I have. It would seem that wood on vulcanite or acrylic would hold better than wood (or metal) on metal. But, like I said, if the overall design is perfect for your uses or style of smoking, then it should work.

If the perfect spigot fell before my path, I wouldn’t write it off on just being a spigot. I like the use of metal (especially silver) on a pipe. That’s what attracted me to the Ferndown in the first place. Wasn’t Les Wood a silversmith or jeweler? Or something like that.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I have an affinity for silver as well, and several of my pipes sport silver accents. Spigots are becoming more attractive, though I have yet to pull the trigger.

snowyowl

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 21, 2015
Wasn’t there a story to them? Like soldiers in the trenches fixed their pipes with shell casings to strengthen the stem so that it can be broken down more quickly, or something like that?
There is link/story within a story, here (4 months & 6 years ago):

http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/what-is-an-army-mount

This is my original picture, form here - http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/show-us-your-spigots

I need to polish it up and get a better picture, but this is how it arrived. I am sort of embarrassed about letting the silver get so tarnished, but it is merely a display piece for me, so...

ferndown-pipe.jpg

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
The only pipe I own with a metal spigot military fitting is a Butz Choquin Maitre Pipier Deluxe bent calabash shape with brass male and female connectors. Once connected up it is rock solid and I could never imagine it coming apart unless given a good tug and twist.
I should imagine a lot of it is down to the degree of taper...mine is pretty fine.
Regards,
Jay.

crashthegrey

Lifer
Dec 18, 2015
Cobleskill, NY
www.greywoodie.com
Thanks all for the input, and of course some pictures or links to where there are more pictures. It seems as split as the opinions were 4 years ago. I guess some things never change. I think my conclusion is that I'll be looking, although somewhat casually, for that perfect spigot to try out. If I find it falling apart on me, it will certainly look nice on a shelf and get smoked when I'm sitting, but with their intended design I don't think that will be the issue. I clench some darned heavy pipes, so I'm not too worried about that. A lot of these spigots look pretty light up until the silver addition. It seems the makers are aware of the downfalls and work around that.

It always amazes me that one pipemaker will make consistently heavy briar chunky pipes that are like trying to clench a crowbar, but another maker will use about the same amount of briar and make a feather clencher. It is always hard to decide by looking at pictures online. Good luck, and I hope we didn't muddy the waters too much for ya.

crashthegrey

Lifer
Dec 18, 2015
Cobleskill, NY
www.greywoodie.com
That is a consistent problem, Cosmic. Unfortunately, even seeing them in person doesn't help, because they don't really like when you jam it in your mouth to get a good feel for the balance. Ha. Yes, I can usually tell mostly by holding it, but that's why I like making pipes. I get to hold it and get a feel for balance in my teeth as much as I want until I buff it. There's no way I am making a spigot, though.

sparrowhawk

Lifer
Jul 24, 2013
The Peterson 2017 Christmas pipes would appear to be good candidates for an acrylic stem pushed into a wood stummel with a metal (probably nickel) collar. Thus far no problems with clenching but I don't know how my 2 Xmas pipes would do on a lunt

Status
Not open for further replies.