PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

crashthegrey

Lifer
Dec 18, 2015
Cobleskill, NY
www.greywoodie.com
I've been wondering if any clenchers have direct experience with a spigot pipe. I've asked elsewhere and done a search here, but most information is 2 or 3 years old at minimum and I was hoping we'd get some fresh input. It seems some say they never fall apart, but some say that they frequently fall apart. Being a clencher, I like a pipe that I can take a apart hot, as you drool a bit. I smoke some pretty heavy pipes, including a RC with a spent 20mm casing, so I'm less worried about the weight of a spigot. What I'm really worried about is the stem separating over a 40 plus minute smoke since I rarely take the pipe out of my mouth. Also, the bent spigots look like they cause the connection to be vertical, so I'm wondering if those are more likely to fall apart on you during a smoke. I tend to smoke straights anyway, so that's fine if so. Lastly, I'm aware that Peterson makes what seems to be some solid looking spigot pipes, and Viking makes a line that look substantially thinner in the metal. Are there other brands or makers doing good spigot pipes? I'd prefer metal, not the acrylic and such that some are using. I tend to prefer artisan makers, but I'm not seeing much in this department. Thanks in advance for any advice and input you may have.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Not much experience here, but I think a factory pipe spigot might be better than an artisanal one because a carver would be doing a one-off, or once in a while, pipe, whereas an assembly line would have the mechanics of the pipe down cold. Definitely go for metal. Part of the advantage should be light weight, so look for that, with less material in the shank and stem. For clenchers I find a sturdy bent billiard, short but with a relatively big bowl, light weight, works well, good for pocket and travel, and clenching. A spigot might be slightly more fragile.

I have one spigot, and it's a Ferndown. While it is a looker, I never, ever, ever smoke it for the very reason you site here. It is kind of heavy in comparison to all of my other pipes, and the friction fit of the metal on metal just causes the stummel to just drop off sometimes. I should probably sell it to someone who is all fascinated with English pipes for some reason, but my posts isn't doing anything for it's value, ha ha.
I cannot speak for all spigots, just the one I have. But you might think about a military fit stem. You can easily remove the stems from them also, and Instead of being parallel carved stem fittings, they are tapered to give you a "jamming in" effect on the friction fit. So, they tend to stay together better, or I should say that all of mine stay together well. I can't speak for all. I have a Rattray, GBD, and a few others.

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
Can't speak to spigots per se, but I've had a number of military mounts and they've never accidentally come apart during a smoke. Are you wanting the look of metal on metal (i.e. a spigot) or is it just the ability to take the pipe apart during a smoke?

crashthegrey

Lifer
Dec 18, 2015
Cobleskill, NY
www.greywoodie.com
So I do have some military or army mounts, and yes, I do find that they work better than I expect a spigot to work. Unfortunately, Pitchfork, I think it is the look of the metal on metal that has given me this bug. I desperately want to try one and have it work, but it seems that everyone agrees that it just isn't as good in reality as it seems on paper.

Cosmic, thank you. You smoke similar to how I do, so I have a feeling that you are correct, and my hopes are not going to be reality. Although, you know, a photo of that Ferndown on IG may be appreciated.

mso, thank you. I agree, you make a very good point for going with a factory pipe on this one occasion.

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
Well, this might not be of much practical help, but you can find antique pipes with metal-on-metal mounts that are screw-fitted (silver screw). They're rare enough, but they pop up now and again. And you can certainly take them apart during a smoke without worrying about them falling apart.
UuoJKYC.jpg

qNmZX44.png

zt6tHbH.png

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
I own several of these antique pipes with screw mounts and they're perfectly stable. Full spigots, ie metal on metal, are fairly stable, though not for clenching while walking. Military mounts are less stable, fine for clenching when still, not good for clenching while walking or talking. Personally, I never clench a military or spigot mount pipe.

nevadablue

Lifer
Jun 5, 2017
Fishnbanjo posted a picture of one of his pipes that has a metal 'spigot' that goes through the bottom of the briar bowl. Now I can't make the search engine on this forum work. Seems that it only shows posts for a member for a limited amount of time. Anyway, it looks interesting.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
I own several military mount pipes and three silver spigots (one Ardor and two Rinaldos). Never once had a problem with any of them.

nevadablue

Lifer
Jun 5, 2017
I did find a pic, I will post it. Wood bowl, metal shank goes through it. Also, it appears that Tsuge makes a nice looking wood bowl/metal shank pipe that doesn't require disassembly to clean.

snowyowl

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 21, 2015
I have seven Peterson pipes covering all the connection possibilities, including space-fitting system! Also, these 7 cover all the various stem and body materials; both straight and bent pipes too. Never had a problem with premature ejection.
When hot or tight, rather than twisting, move/wiggle the parts side to side (either vertical or horizontal motion) while pulling or pushing, depending on desired in or out. Twisting is often a bad idea.
Also one Tsuge. This pipe has a tapered stem while the wood has slight notches such that you can tell when the stem is properly aligned... via soft clicks.

nevadablue

Lifer
Jun 5, 2017
An example of the E-star system Tsuge pipe.
Tsuge%20estar%20Poker%20Bruyere%201.jpg

And the fishnbanjo style pipe, looks like it shouldn't be disassembled hot. Also, it looks like it wouldn't work to take it apart for cleaning while smoking. Neat pipe though.
38045787901_521c0c7f3e_z_d.jpg

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
...the friction fit of the metal on metal just causes the stummel to just drop off sometimes.
Look again. The inside of the mortise isn't metal, it's wood.
Les certainly knows how to make a spigot pipe. If yours keeps separating spontaneously, it's either damaged/worn somehow, or you aren't putting it together using enough pressure.

The inside of the mortise isn't metal, it's wood.

True, yeh, I’m just answering without the actual pipe in front of me, but yes, the inside is wood, but the metal from the (Ferrell?) the cap on the stummel end does seem to do some of the holding. As for whether I just got a bad one or if it just doesn’t “fit”my smoking style. I wasn’t disparaging Mr. Wood’s craftsmanship in any way. The stummel is heavier than I like to clench, and yes it has dropped off at least twice, enough for me to just set it in my cabinet to look at for... I guess five years now. I may have smoked it six or so times. Sure, sure, I guess I could try jamming it in there harder, but I have enough pipes that fit my smoking style better. I bought the Ferndown brand new before I really knew what pipes I wanted to collect or what my smoking style was going to be.

Crash, I’ll get her posted on IG soon. I am prepping for an art show this weekend, so I will be folding tents and loading displays all week.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Crashthegrey: I smoke military mounts and spigots when I work, when I walk, when I talk, when I'm relaxing. Never had a problem. And I prefer clenchers, which all of them are.

Status
Not open for further replies.