PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

jerseysam

Can't Leave
Mar 24, 2019
Liberty Township. OH
Like cosmic says...they are the little funky treats that spice up the blend.

In general, I think the blending houses are stuck with what is out there for supply these days. In general Latakia mixes have had notably more shake n' sticks the last couple years from every blendor I've come across. My guess is there's less supply and labor spent sifting on the grower side.

cfreud

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 1, 2014
Looking forward to GLP's "newest" offering. Under the category of "Why in the heck did you buy more tobacco?," naturally, I bought four tins and socked them away. If Sparkplug is anything like Gaslight, I'm psyched.

And I much prefer cakes, plugs or flake cut because I like a chunky smoke. Bring on the stems if they're there.

Reactions: CoffeeAndBourbon

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
Those are like little presents in the tins, like a surprise inside. Chew on those like a big piece of candy for a nic hit. puffy
my favorite free tin surpise I got was a whole leaf of perique in TAPS VIP. It was folded up on it's self into a weird little ball but with care it came open. I like smelling the thing it's kind of got a wonderful rancid quality that defies explanation.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
my favorite free tin surpise I got was a whole leaf of perique in TAPS VIP. It was folded up on it's self into a weird little ball but with care it came open. I like smelling the thing it's kind of got a wonderful rancid quality that defies explanation.
I know. I've never found anything quite like that in a tin. Not sure how it got through the whole production mostly intact. And the best part is it was in the bottom of the tin, the top half was a fruity Vaper with a hint of spice the bottom half was super spicy. I suspect from just hanging out around the bomb as I will call it from now on.

canucklehead

Lifer
Aug 1, 2018
Alberta
Sparkplug is awesome, but it seems everything that Cornell & Diehl tins is just full of veins and twigs and stems.
Pease is a great blender, just needs a better company to tin it for him.
Obviously as much Pease's fault as C&D, if you put your name on something you should probably check up on the quality control, not just give them a recipe and walk away.

That's why McClelland was so great, Mike literally had his hands on every batch of product ensuring it was up to his standards.

Obviously as much Pease's fault as C&D, if you put your name on something you should probably check up on the quality control, not just give them a recipe and walk away.

That's why McClelland was so great, Mike literally had his hands on every batch of product ensuring it was up to his standards.
I really don’t think that pointing fingers and naming whose fault it is does any positive here. I guarantee you that the world’s finest chefs will all have their fly in the soup stories. It happens. The difference is that fine cooks will make it right for you with a smile at the table, and then go back and throw pans and curses at the line cooks.
I’m not convinced that some veins in my tobacco is a bad thing. But, the other stuff, if it bothers you, you should give C&D a call.

I’m more of the type to just laugh at the fly in my soup without bothering the restaurant. I’ve NEVER once complained about a bad tin or sought a replacement. C&D brings me great joy into my life, and a little fly every now and then is just the gamble we all take.

My Uncle Mark, however, would be the type to drive to South Carolina just to have strong words with someone behind a register, ha ha. Or, cuss out a 16 year old at a drive thru. That’s not my style, but I know that it makes some feel better.

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
I really don’t think that pointing fingers and naming whose fault it is does any positive here. I guarantee you that the world’s finest chefs will all have their fly in the soup stories. It happens. The difference is that fine cooks will make it right for you with a smile at the table, and then go back and throw pans and curses at the line cooks.
I’m not convinced that some veins in my tobacco is a bad thing. But, the other stuff, if it bothers you, you should give C&D a call.

I’m more of the type to just laugh at the fly in my soup without bothering the restaurant. I’ve NEVER once complained about a bad tin or sought a replacement. C&D brings me great joy into my life, and a little fly every now and then is just the gamble we all take.

My Uncle Mark, however, would be the type to drive to South Carolina just to have strong words with someone behind a register, ha ha. Or, cuss out a 16 year old at a drive thru. That’s not my style, but I know that it makes some feel better.
What's wrong with a fly in soup? It's called garnish x)

canucklehead

Lifer
Aug 1, 2018
Alberta

It doesn't bother me in the slightest, but then again I don't have any higher expectations of a Pease blend than I do of a C&D labeled blend, as I know that they're made with the same tobaccos in the same building by the same people. I quite like several C&D blends personally. I've gotten big chunks and sticks in blends from several different manufacturers, I don't think it's a big deal.

Hey! If we’re tossing out a C&D wishlist…. Make a Rustica/perique blend. Or, make a cigar blend, dark, deep, exhaust smoke, dripping axle grease, … just a little something that’ll kick my ass. But hey! Sorry, I started daydreaming. Ha ha! Oh yeh…. leave little bits of twine, ribs, and barbwire in it.
I think I just got pipegasmed, ha ha!!

jewman22

Lifer
Apr 2, 2021
Ontario Canada
Well, I just pitch them in the bin, just annoying. They aren't the only blender that has them, but they by far have the most. It's not bad enough to stop me from buying their stuff though, they make great blends, it would just be nice if they had some sense of pride before putting their name on it.

Reactions: pantsBoots