PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

lightmybriar

Lifer
Mar 11, 2014
Processing on my order too, at P&C. My confirmation page read as “In-Stock,” but a day later, it changed to “Backordered.” I’m hoping that means they are expecting more soon and my order will be filled then. I meant to write them and ask but forgot.

mechanic

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 1, 2018
I really enjoy the tin of 1792 i snagged nice smooth cool smoking tastey blend but i dont see why people get so pissy blaming hoarders and such it would be in my rotation if was available all the time but it is what it is peopele need to put there big boy pants on and enjoy what they can when they can just my 2cents

lightmybriar

Lifer
Mar 11, 2014
My FVF order from P&C still says “Backordered.” I’m waiting to hear back from them. In the meantime, I’d say it looks like you have too much, balkosobrains. Don’t you know that tobacco is hazardous to your health? Please send me a box, for your health’s sake!

cohibajoe

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 2, 2018
Branchburg, NJ
Also got my P&C order today...1 250g Skiff, Chocolate Flake, Commonwealth.
'Processing' and 'Backorder' at this time are not good...Now I had 1 time last year of 'Backorder' on a Esoterica

drop...3 months later I did get the order.

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
Embers, aren't you like a double ultra platinum member at SP.com?
He gets the emails before anything even comes in at their warehouse. Hes like numero uno!

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I actually haven't ordered much from SPC in the past year. My wife has though.

ormazd

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 12, 2018
Virginia, USA
'Processing' and 'Backorder' at this time are not good...Now I had 1 time last year of 'Backorder' on a Esoterica

drop...3 months later I did get the order.
I sent them a message, but haven't heard back. I don't even mind if it takes a while to get it. Jut let me know what's going on.

ryeguy

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 4, 2017
What I find really confusing and frustrating is that on the one hand there is so much demand for good tobacco that tobacconists can't keep SG in stock (and we mere mortals can only rarely get our hands on it) while Dunhill and McClellands can't stay in business.
Very weird market. Isn't there some business model for good tobacco that avoids intentional scarcity, but still turns a profit? Why couldn't Dunhill and McClellands stay in business by reducing volume and raising prices?

uncleblackie

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 20, 2014
Your information is incorrect.
In a nutshell, Dunhill simply no longer wants to be associated with tobacco. The owners of McClelland wanted to retire, and did not wish to sell their brand.
In neither case was it ever implied that these companies couldn’t stay in business had they desired to do so.

ryeguy

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 4, 2017
Your information is incorrect.
In a nutshell, Dunhill simply no longer wants to be associated with tobacco. The owners of McClelland wanted to retire, and did not wish to sell their brand
You may have better information that I have, but I was under the impression that explanation of Dunhill's dropping their pipe tobaccos was unsubstantiated speculation, speculation that, furthermore, never made much sense to me: considering they continued to market Dunhill cigarettes.
Similarly with McClelland, I didn't follow it particularly closely, so if there is something I missed please let me know, but Mary Ehwa seems to be citing anticipated costs of FDA compliance and the limited availability of quality mature virginia tobacco (a scarcity which could presumably be overcome if they could afford to pay more for it) as the reason for throwing in the towel here.

Status
Not open for further replies.