PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
As for the SNL alumni, Chris Rock summed it up best at the 25th anniversary special:

I only saw Fletch a few years ago on an international flight. Perhaps it was the altitude but I rather enjoyed it.

I was a big Fletch fan, but I had read the series of books and had developed a character in mind before the movies. Chevy was close, but had too much slapstick for what I had in mind for the character. I think the new John Ham version of Fletch is much better. But, I do like Chevy Chase movies. Lots of actors are assholes, lots of musicians also. Bob Dylan is considered one of the biggest assholes in music, but he still puts on a good show.

War of the Roses was pretty good.

Oh, and Funny Farm.

LotusEater

Lifer
Apr 16, 2021
Kansas City Missouri
I was a big Fletch fan, but I had read the series of books and had developed a character in mind before the movies. Chevy was close, but had too much slapstick for what I had in mind for the character. I think the new John Ham version of Fletch is much better. But, I do like Chevy Chase movies. Lots of actors are assholes, lots of musicians also. Bob Dylan is considered one of the biggest assholes in music, but he still puts on a good show.

War of the Roses was pretty good.

Oh, and Funny Farm.
I haven’t read the books and I’m a big fan of the Chevy Chase movies (I actually own a Fletch Lakers jersey). I’ve been avoiding the new John Ham version mostly because I identify Fletch so strongly with Chey but maybe I’ll give it a shot.

Reactions: cosmicfolklore
I haven’t read the books and I’m a big fan of the Chevy Chase movies (I actually own a Fletch Lakers jersey). I’ve been avoiding the new John Ham version mostly because I identify Fletch so strongly with Chey but maybe I’ll give it a shot.
The books were really good. The book Fletch was arrogant and flippant, which Chevy pulls off well, but much less silly and slapstick-ish, as in the outrageous costumes and some of the sillyness... but I didn't hate Chevy's portrayal. I just think John Ham's portrayal is closer to what I had in mind. But, Ham is way older and chunkier than the book character. A younger Madmen version of Ham would have hit the nail on the head, IMO.
Besides the newer movie is supposed to be a few years after the last Fletch movie (book) occurred. BTW, there are about five more books for the series.

shermnatman

Lifer
Jan 25, 2019
Philadelphia Suburbs, Pennsylvania

ABSOLUTELY!!!!!

1981... PORKY'S... The one the started the whole 80s 'Teenage boys 'Trying to get laid ' High School Hi-jinx' movie trend.
Porkys.jpg

One could make the a very strong case for 1978's Animal House; but, I really feel that film is "it's own animal" about general collegiate mayhem and madness; but, it is not the sub-genre setter for the mass of films which followed in Porky's footprint.
Animalhouseposter.jpg

ON CHEVY CHASE:

I am really happy to read I am not the only one who not only does not find Chevy Chase funny in the least.. Frankly, I can't fathom why anyone thinks he has talent, or would put him in front of a TV or Movie camera - let alone the star (?) of a TV show.

Chevy Chase absolutely molested the 1st Season of Saturday Night Live; and, I was THRILLED when he left the show!!! With Chase gone, SNL seasons 2-4 were just incredible - mostly due in part to the absence of Chase.

Chevy Chase's appeal and success as an "entertainer" and to whom he appeals in such huge numbers, will forever be a mystery to me.

I give Chase "Two Thumbs Down".

Sherm -
At The Movies - Natman

K.E. Powell

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 20, 2022
West Virginia
One of the interesting things about the 21st century is that the constant commodification of literally everything and the continued popularity of digital streaming technology makes it so a great deal of popular media never actually sunsets totally into obscurity, provided it was tremendously popular in its own time or culturally profound. My generation and especially the generation succeeding it are consuming not just their own media, but also that of previous generations. It's why we see Kate Bush and Janet Jackson songs suddenly trend out of nowhere, and why we see so many remakes, reboots, and reissues. Kids these day are literally nostalgic for other people's nostalgia. It's quite a time to be alive!

ANYWAY, somebody already mentioned Airplane!, the clear choice for best 80's comedy that may have a chance to fade into obscurity (though I doubt it). Ghostbusters definitely hasn't faded into obscurity, but as far as 80s comedies that are both excellent and illustrative of the point I made above, I'd be hard pressed to find a better example.

1682977373919.png