PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

spanishkarl

Lurker
Aug 24, 2015
As a heavy cigarette smoker, I'm recently experimenting with switching over as well. My first pipe tobaccos were not strong enough, so after I'd spent an hour smoking a bowlful I would immediately chain cigarettes to make up for the lost time. This apparently is a common problem for former cigarette smokers. So go for the strongest tobaccos you can find (tobaccoreviews.com is a good help, and also people on this board)
After a bit of advice I've found some which are more satisfying:

Peterson's University Flake.

I just had my first bowl of Dunhill Royal Yacht which arrived today, which has a drier taste, but I've not wanted to smoke for the past 30 minutes after finishing it, which is almost a world record for me!

Along with the D.R.Y. I also received some Peterson's Irish Flake, which I will try next.
Good luck!

freakiefrog

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 26, 2012
Mississippi
Many people coming from cigarettes or cigars have a hard time with the pipe, I know I did. Their draw cadence and strength is based on their previous smokes. The idea is to slow down take your time and puff slow and remember that the nicotine isn't the reason we smoke a pipe.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Do you have a friend or family member who could receive your tobacco at their permanent address, or even your work place? Buy in small quantities, pouches or one or two ounces bulk, since your tastes will change and develop. Carter Hall or Prince Albert would be good starters. Later, you could make a run to your pipe shop and stock up a little more, but keep quantities small. If you don't like a blend, age it in a jar; it might get better and/or your tastes might evolve. Welcome aboard.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
I just had my first bowl of Dunhill Royal Yacht which arrived today, which has a drier taste, but I've not wanted to smoke for the past 30 minutes after finishing it, which is almost a world record for me!
I've heard this from other members. The 'Yacht tends to provide the perfect level of nicotine for a smooth all-day smoke.
You'll enjoy the Irish Flake too, I bet. If you rub it out it has nearly the nicotine power of the Royal Yacht.

landofnone

Lurker
Nov 2, 2015
After 3 bowls of Great dane tobacco in the great dane spool, it's started to taste semi sweet, i have yet to taste the Cherry and vanilla. Perhaps i'm packing it the wrong way, or just my taste buds are shot from smoking Marlboro menthols for years and years. Hell, when i was vaping, i tried just about every e-juice from couble vape shops, none of the juice tasted like they claim, there is only one E-juice my taste buds liked and that was Mister E Liquid Menthol full.
But once i can afford it, i will buy a couple different tobaccos and see what works best for my dull taste bads. Perhaps i need a more stronger flavor tobacco. I guess you can say that i have a bit of a sweet tooth, i mean, i like my crown and coke, honey and whiskey.

blackbeard

Sep 13, 2015
It took me about 3 months to develop my palette to catch subtle things about tobacco/toppings. As I try new things, I still have to work out what I'm tasting and I guess "figure out the smoke". Give it time, and you'll have a day where you catch it. Ole Shenandoah No. 76 was the one that broke my tastes free. It's not expensive and was a good smoke as well. Laying off of a particular blend, then coming back to it can help as well in my experience.
OH, and welcome to the forums. The people involved are very helpful, even a strong sense of community.

mathoozula

Might Stick Around
Nov 25, 2013
I also came from cigarettes to pipes and I would say to stay away from the aromatics. The sweet flavor your chasing wont be enough of a flavor profile. The sweeter, cased tobaccos are more about aroma than taste.
I say jump right into Latakia blends. They will give you a good smoky flavor that you can actually taste. Frog Morton Cellar is a good one and it has a good room note.

derfargin

Lifer
Mar 3, 2014
Kennesaw, GA
HOLY S**T Smoking since 6, tamps with an Allen wrench. You should be chewing not smoking. If you've been smoking for that long, might I suggest you skip the aromatics, and jump right into the twists, and higher octane leaf.
Look for some Brown Bogie by Gawith Hogarth. Perhaps Nightcap for an English or 10 Russians by Capt. Earle. PM me your address, and I'll send you some of each I mentioned. I'll throw in some other higher nic blends that I enjoy as well. Jackknife Plug and whatever I can stuff into the envelope sized right for a PO Box.
Welcome to the club man, you're in for some fun.

blackbeard

Sep 13, 2015
I still smoke cigarettes, I find an occasional aromatic to be nice in the routine. I smoke a little less now, but it's always been 1/2-1 1/2 packs a day of Marlboro Reds, you can get the sweet flavor...just depends on what you get. Latakia is definitely worth delving into,certainly try non-aro's, and English Blends as well. Aged Burley tobacco in itself has a sweetness, and a cocoa scent without a topping.
People will bash aromatics often, but there are merits to some...and tragedy with others. I guarantee you'll taste Out of Office Gone Fishin'. It's caramel, and sweet, no bite. The downside is....it's more flavor than tobacco, but if your set for the taste it's worth trying for 5 bucks.

blackbeard

Sep 13, 2015
Nightcap is fantastic...derfargin is a prime example when I said

The people involved are very helpful, even a strong sense of community.
Oh and guys, sorta new to non-aro's english...hearing a lot of nicotine stuff mentioned...nightcap/jackknife/hh bold kentucky have yet to wow me....I prefer the nightcap...not big on the others but wondering....is there anything guaranteed to show nicotine to even the long term smoker?

landofnone

Lurker
Nov 2, 2015
Can derfargin be trusted? Anyone know him or her. He or she is willing to send a few bags of different tobaccos my way. would like to know before i send the address.

blackbeard

Sep 13, 2015
Not certain, but past has shown this happens a lot in the forums. People gifting/sampling to other members. Especially when new. If you ever have concerns on getting to know someone, talk to them a little.

weezell

Lifer
Oct 12, 2011
I was going to suggest plugs. Smoking Peterson 3P's right now, it'll get the job done.
GH- Dark Plug in a Clay is my non-cig good night bowl of choice right now... :wink:

blackbeard

Sep 13, 2015
If you don't, I might ask to try some of what he's offering lol. If/when you get stuff, make sure to post pictures and details unless otherwise noted by sender I guess...because it's always nice to see/hear about it and eases others in this situation.

landofnone

Lurker
Nov 2, 2015
Better yet, i will film the unboxing, i was going to film my unboxing of my pipes but i sadly didn't.
I want your beard Tyler. that sounded better in my head. lol

blackbeard

Sep 13, 2015
By the way, I sent you a PM. I look forward to seeing how this goes and what you find out about your tastes.

jon11

Oct 25, 2013
Can Defargin be trusted? Dude is trying to send you free tobacco! Or maybe he likes your avatar and will stalk you for life.

blackbeard

Sep 13, 2015
LOL My beard would be so much more epic if I didn't have to cut it so many times. The picture is only about a year of free growth. I understand the comment, and will take it as a compliment and block out how creepy it reads.
Can Defargin be trusted? Dude is trying to send you free tobacco! Or maybe he likes your avatar and will stalk you for life.
Either way, free tobacco will be involved. If he comes to stalk you, just smoke his tobacco while he's there. As pipe smokers, we can't be very stealthy. The lighter and then following cloud of smoke in the bushes is too obvious.

Status
Not open for further replies.