PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

madox07

Lifer
Dec 12, 2016
It's nice to have friends that care for your hobbies (thank you brother). Yesterday I received this baby, from a friend of mine that visited a region in central Europe called Bucovina ... traditionally a region of the former Austro-Hungarian empire inhabited by Romanians, Ukrainians, Cossacks, Jews and some Polish minorities ... and frankly this has a bit of heritage look from all the above mentioned. My first impression was that it is a souvenir pipe, like one of those hammer and sickle pipes one buys in Moscow, especially judging from the metal inner lining. I did stick it in my mouth and it has a wonderful draw to it, and the metal pieces inside can be easily removed. The wood is a nice cherry (super grain and color), with the stem being something less durable, I am assuming linden. It can't be taken apart, so cleaning would be quite a challenge, but that draft ... very tempting. I don't get the wind cap, it has no holes in it, but the pipe draws well with the lid shut as well. At the end of the day ... what is it? It resembles a Tyroliche, but it's not, it sort of reminds me of the wax cherry pipes gipsy women used to smoke when I was a kid in the country side, but it's far more elaborate, the shape is somewhat Cossack as per renown paintings but the curvature doesn't fit, so what is it? More importantly, it's definitely neat for the collection, but would you smoke it? 20210405_220455.jpg20210405_220442.jpg

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Some pretty nifty lathe work on that. It would be fun to smoke it, if not regularly. Take it to a pipe show and amaze the attendees. I would have to really be in a theatrical mood to carry it off.

danimalia

Lifer
Sep 2, 2015
San Francisco Bay Area, USA
Based on some of the things I’ve smoked out of in the past, I’d have no problem giving it a whirl. Given the numbers, it’d have to be in the top 5% for me as far as smoking from it being it’s original intent.
UTB8jhPZin_IXKJkSalUq6yBzVXay.jpg

51SjkVE2JrL._AC_SX425_.jpg

danimalia

Lifer
Sep 2, 2015
San Francisco Bay Area, USA
It's nice to have friends that care for your hobbies (thank you brother). Yesterday I received this baby, from a friend of mine that visited a region in central Europe called Bucovina ... traditionally a region of the former Austro-Hungarian empire inhabited by Romanians, Ukrainians, Cossacks, Jews and some Polish minorities ... and frankly this has a bit of heritage look from all the above mentioned. My first impression was that it is a souvenir pipe, like one of those hammer and sickle pipes one buys in Moscow, especially judging from the metal inner lining. I did stick it in my mouth and it has a wonderful draw to it, and the metal pieces inside can be easily removed. The wood is a nice cherry (super grain and color), with the stem being something less durable, I am assuming linden. It can't be taken apart, so cleaning would be quite a challenge, but that draft ... very tempting. I don't get the wind cap, it has no holes in it, but the pipe draws well with the lid shut as well. At the end of the day ... what is it? It resembles a Tyroliche, but it's not, it sort of reminds me of the wax cherry pipes gipsy women used to smoke when I was a kid in the country side, but it's far more elaborate, the shape is somewhat Cossack as per renown paintings but the curvature doesn't fit, so what is it? More importantly, it's definitely neat for the collection, but would you smoke it? View attachment 73827View attachment 73828
Whether you end up smoking from it or not, it is a pretty cool piece!

Epip Oc'Cabot

Can't Leave
Oct 11, 2019
It is actually rather attractive! If you do take the plunge and try it out, be sure to take a photo and describe what it is like.

The “wind cap” I suspect is more for filling and carrying the pipe without losing crumbles of leaf. It may also theoretically be used to “snuff out” a smoke part way through to save for later. I have a pipe with a “wind guard” with no holes too, and those were my assumptions as to it’s intended purpose.

madox07

Lifer
Dec 12, 2016
Metal chamber? That'd be interesting.
I took it out. It seems the artisan was very inventive, since they hand craft them and don't have access to industrial grade metal sheets, they made the bowl wall linings from a can of vegetables and the bottom of the bowl is made out of a beer can.

madox07

Lifer
Dec 12, 2016
It is most definitely an interesting smoke. I finally got around to enjoying this properly, and it's unlike any other pipe I have ever smoked. First thing was first, I just had to get rid of that inner metal layer, which I have previously mentioned was an improvisation of what probably is a non smoker artisan trying to make a pipe look nicer. The first bowl, on a bare cherry wood (underneath the metal there was no coating, not even a sand paper finish) was clean, dry and comfortable. I sat on the couch and read, while the heavy pipe rested on my chest. I puffed and puffed a bit moist Savinelly Black Cavendish, without any tongue bite what so ever. The draft hole is huge, and in spite of all appearances, combined with a medium sized bowl this ended up being a 25 minute smoke. As expected the raw cherry wood did alter the taste of the aromatic tobacco, but I guarantee you that once this catches a bit of cake, all that trouble will go away. Throughout the whole smoke the bowl remained cool to the touch and so did the smoke ... I guess those thick round shapes on the long shank serve as some sort of cooling system. Above and beyond my expectations, I will definitely keep on puffing this sucker. And yes @cshubhra was right, this is a traditional Ukrainian pipe ... I didn't even know they existed, as a pipe genre in themselves.