PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

ejames

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
Finally, don't poo-poo on the methods used by professionals in the industry for at least the first ten years, after which time you will have been there, done that, and if you have stuck around, will have bought yourself a lathe.
I damn sure ain't no professional but I wanted to add a bit to what Walt said by showing a pic from his website. It shows a lathe turned stummel and the stages of work that follow after turning. The only part of that stummel shaped on the lathe is PART of the bowl and PART of the shank the rest is done by hand. I don't do many like this,simply because my little 7X12 lathe is too damn small! I would love to have a larger lathe!!

WP_001479_B.jpg

ejames

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
I'd love to get a wood lathe but I have no room in my shop,which is one half of our laundry room in the basement. I replaced the chuck on my lathe with a 4" four jaw scrolling chuck--up from 3"-- and by removing two jaws can do some small stummels, Sometimes I epoxy a piece to the stummel that I can grip with the 4 jaws. Have done a couple using a spur in the 4 jaw chuck and a jamb chuck of sorts in the tailstock.
You got a foot switch on that lathe?

clangillespie

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 7, 2015
Ironwood Michigan
I actually ordered the $600 metal lathe from Harbor Freight, I was told I need it to drill stems, I have only just started dabbling in stem making, just something new to do.

zack24

Lifer
May 11, 2013
Walt , you need to get a big boy lathe so you can make some decent pipes...:)

I get what he's saying about the lathe and handmade. I think it's fair to make that boast. Some of can appreciate the method. Heck, I'm one of those fruitcakes that would pay more just to have it made only with. Pairing knife, ha ha. But, I don't think it's a market that will ever surpass what Walt can do with a lathe. His work is just a caliber on top of just about anyone making. His work wow's me.

But, there is an intrigue in the handmade, and a difference in the finished product. However, I like to wait until the pipemaker has been a round a little while. Same as with any artist. Is this a serious hobbyist, or will this guy be making wooden spoons for the craft show circuit next year?
Keep it up. The pipes look good. I'm anxious to see what's next. & Welcome to the forums. :puffy:

wcannoy

Can't Leave
Nov 29, 2012
Lakeland, FL
I get what he's saying about the lathe and handmade. I think it's fair to make that boast.
Sure, it's fair to make that boast.
But there's a difference between:
"I make my pipes completely by hand, without using any power tools."
and
"I make my pipes completely by hand, without using any power tools, unlike what those other so called handmade pipemakers are churning out on their lathes."
One of these claims I totally respect. The other is a dick move to which I take personal offense.

clangillespie

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 7, 2015
Ironwood Michigan
Mr. Cannoy, I am sorry if I offended you, I think your pipes are beautiful, thanks for mentioning my website now people know they can go to it. I'm sorry if you think it's a dick move to mention that lathe made pipes in my opinion are not truly handmade, Bruce Jenner calls himself a woman, but it doesn't make him one. Why someone in your position would go looking for a website is kinda funny and strange to me. I don't understand why you would be so worried about someone who is new to this craft. Here is my only point, I don't think that making 70% of a pipe on a lathe then finishing it by hand makes it handmade, but I understand wanting to give the perception that one's pipes are handmade, I would call them turned or hand finished, but that is only my opinion. Many of the "Handmade pipe makers pipes all look the same, some even buy pre cut stummels from italy slap a stem on them and call them handmade. The bottom line is none of that really matters, there is room for all of us and the last time I checked I am entitled to my opinion, I never came out and said that your pipes weren't handmade, you offered that information up. To be honest I had never heard of you before this post as I'm sure you had never heard of me. My choice is to be honest and make an honest handmade pipe and I really don't care how anyone else does it because unlike many professional pipe makers I don't have the need to try and control what every other pipe maker does. If I continue in this effort someday people will recognize them as made by me for good or bad, because they aren't the same as everybody else's. I have the desire to be different and unique and although there may not be as many people looking for my type pipe there is enough to keep me busy. I retired a little over a year ago at a fairly young age 54, you make think you know what I want to be but you are sadly mistaken if you think I want to set myself up to grinding out orders day after day, if I wanted that I would set up a big shop and hire people to run lathes. My life is one of leisure and having time to do the things I couldn't do for 28 years because I spent all my time in car dealerships. I never intended to hurt anyones feelings and I never imagined that someone making lathe turned pipes would not grasp the concept and difference between handmade and lathe made and I guess that was my mistake. Yes I said it and I'm standing by what I said. My only intention here was to show newbroom, ejames and mso where I am at in my pipe making, they saw my first pipe and every now and then not very often I post something new when I think I have made some sort of improvement, they have always been very supportive and have even offered advice on things like make some smaller pipes, my first pipes were huge and I think that came from my love of the old Jumbo Wellingtons. But as always someone has to chime in with ugly remarks because they have been brainwashed into thinking they need approval from others doing the same thing and they put themselves in a box and stop thinking for themselves. Where is the adventure? Where is the excitement? Where is the joy? I'm sorry Sir but you know nothing about me but your attitude and need to dive into my business is sadly typical, in the pipe making community. So make pipes the way you will call them made by aliens for all I care, what you think or do has no effect on my life whatsoever, I have my customer base and it's growing, although it is nice when someone wants one of my pipes, yes very flattering, but I don't really care if I ever sell a pipe because I can afford not to and I would continue to make them and I would smoke them myself. Because I enjoy smoking a pipe, it doesn't have to look perfect it only has to be a good smoker, I am not some dandy boy and very few of the people I associate with would even notice anything other than I'm stinking up the joint with a damn pipe. Good Luck to you and I will stop in and say hello at one of the pipe shows, I hope you won't hold a grudge over this discussion but I think we are each entitled to our opinion and post whatever we want on our own websites, wouldn't you agree? The only thing that I'm confused about is why you would take offence on my perception of handmade and why that would offend you. Oh well in the end none of this will matter, we're all going to end up in the same place.

lohengrin

Lifer
Jun 16, 2015
Handmade... You mean I cannot use teeth? Cause otherwise I need tools. But if I use electric tools am I a good artisan still?

Do you think a handmade tin is better than an industrial one? It is just more expensive since it needs longer time to be manifactured. The only thing that is better if handmade is the one teen guys frequently experiment on themselves.

I have few tools and my only lathe is a drill, but just working time depends on it, not my creativity or my ability.

If you talk about uniqueness it's a different speech. Here you are not looking for something better made, but for something that nobody else have or make.

wcannoy

Can't Leave
Nov 29, 2012
Lakeland, FL
lohengrin said:
Handmade... You mean I cannot use teeth? Cause otherwise I need tools.
There's the rub. Every maker has to use tools. I've yet to see a guy whittling away at a block of briar with nothing but his fingernails.
No matter what tools you use, powered or not, the difference is simple and clear. Can I teach you how to make a pipe in five minutes by showing you where to place the briar and which buttons to push? Then it's a machine made pipe. Would teaching you how to make a pipe require many months to years of developing hand-eye coordination, an eye for shaping, and muscle memory, regardless of what machines might be used, and still every piece will come out with small differences, dependent on only the movements of the maker's hands, despite looking exactly the same to the untrained eye? Then it's a handmade pipe as defined by industry professionals.
I understand that hobbyists, consumers, and laymen will use whatever terminology suits them. I've said it before, and I'll say it again; When professional makers talk to distributors, and when distributors talk to retailers, the definitions of "handmade" and "machine made" are as I have described above... No debating, no confusion.
Folks buy handmade because they want a pipe that is unique. Here are two billiards that I recently made:
Two-Different-Billiards.jpg

Many will say that these are essentially the same pipe. Others will recognize that, since they are what the industry defines as handmade, one has a slightly taller bowl than the other, one has a slightly thinner shank, one has a slightly shorter shank with a slightly longer stem, the angle of the bowls in relation to the shank is slightly different on each, the curve of the chin and heel have slightly different profiles, and the taper of the bowls are slightly different... Although they appear very similar, the trained eye will immediately recognize the difference, and appreciate each pipe as uniquely handmade, as opposed to what the industry defines as machine-made, where all dimensions and proportions would be nearly identical.
As for the "hand finished" terminology, it is only used in marketing pipes to the consumer. All pipes, whether shaped and fitted by automated processed or not, are hand finished. There are no machines that will sand a pipe and stem smooth, stain it, apply wax, and buff it.

clangillespie

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 7, 2015
Ironwood Michigan
Thanks for enlightening me, those are very nice pipes. See it's not that hard to just be constructive and comments like your recent one is appreciated, it's the bashing I detest and I'm sure you probably do as well.

Thanks.

bigvan

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
I assume that, by posting pictures of your work, you're looking for feedback. I collect pipes from North American carvers almost exclusively so I feel qualified to give input as one of your potential customers.
You seem to embrace a lot of current trends (the Devil Anse, the churchwarden, the bearded skull of your logo) which, to me, seem more about artifice; it seems like it's all about the "look" rather than the functionality. I have not held any of your pipes so I can't tell for sure, but they seem like they're more props than real smoking pipes (and personally, I wouldn't buy anything sold as "Irish" unless it was made in Ireland.)
I'm reminded of the MacQueen wooden stemmed "hobbit pipes" that were so popular a few years ago. I received one as a gift and quickly found that it was a prop and not made for regular pipe smoking. If that's your style, and you're making inexpensive, not-so-serious pipes for the not-so-serious pipe smoker, then good luck to you. If, on the other hand, you wish to make a quality pipe, I would advise you to not only heed the advice of top carvers (like Walt) but actively seek it out. Learn from it.
I look forward to seeing your work progress.
JJ

Good critiques so far, and yes, putting others down to make yourself look good is not a good practice. I didn't see that till Walt pointed it out.

But, I'm all about innovation. Limiting your tool is always a good way. By Greg Pease limiting his leaf to just all natural was a great way for him to innovate.

As one who walks around a B&M looking at pipes frequently and in going to the NOLA show, I just don't see innovation in many artisans. Same old briar shapes, same old materials. Sure, sure those are what we know to work and it sells. What I like about walt's work is his suede blast and those beautiful trademark white stems. And with Zack's work it is those cool turtle shapes and the way he works it with grain. It's those things people do differently that attracts me.
And with a few of those toads from PMF watching, I don't think a new pipe maker should even try to win approval of those guys, or you'll just become another one of them. My first advise to beginning jewelers, stay away from forums full of jewelers. Sure, seek out the advice of those you admire and respect, but the more advise you take, the more you're just doing things the exact same way they do. The more "medium" you become.

Your work may not ever sell to someone who sees that group as the benchmark, or guys who want traditionally designed pipes, but damn the market. Do what you love, and stop defending it with words. Let your passion speak with the finished product and the market will form around you.

I've taken beatings from guys who use the same prong settings and casting techniques as "everyone" else. They would tear me apart every day on forums if I posted there. But, after decades, I have my small group of admirers who appreciate what I do and how I do it. I get the same tools verses handmade snarks also. Everyone who sets a self-imposed limit like this gets this from peirs. This is just people justifying their own techniques to themself.
You're just starting out. Don't put others down. That invites attacks back. Just do what your passions tell you, and you'll build your own thing... if it's meant to be. I see what you're doing, and I look forward to seeing where your path takes you.

Reactions: Dave4211

clangillespie

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 7, 2015
Ironwood Michigan
So Bigvan, you wouldn't buy a pipe called Irish unless it's made in Ireland? Would you buy an English pipe made in France or Italy, would you buy a Danish pipe made in America? Talk Talk Talk about nothing, your opinion means nothing because your thought process is flawed, the truth is many pipes are made in different countries and then stamped with the country of the pipe maker who hired the factory to make them. But I guess you felt it important to chime in because it makes you feel important. Cosmic that is probably the best advice I have ever gotten is just to stay out of any forum, thank you. MSO, ejames and newbroom it was nice talking to you guys over the last 6 months I'll miss it, take care of yourselves.

Status
Not open for further replies.