PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

clangillespie

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 7, 2015
Ironwood Michigan
Here is a few of my latest pipes, I have started using a lot of Grade I Algerian Briar, but I still love the 50 years aged Grecian for it's red clay like earthtones and the way it smokes.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Really cool nose warmers with elegant grain, finish, and shaping. I like the one with plateau on the rim. Algerian and Greek briar are some of the best, often lighter weight than most, making a good light weight pipe for clenching even with a bigger bowl. I don't know the weight on these but surmise they are lighter than they look. Nice ones.

stvalentine

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 13, 2015
Northern Germany
Now this is a nosewarmer if I ever saw one! The color and grain of the briar is quite distinct! It looks like the pipes are antique pieces. Great work!

clangillespie

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 7, 2015
Ironwood Michigan
The first pipe is 50 year old Grecian, a one piece pocket pipe, the 2nd pipe is Grade I Algerian Briar with a vulcanite factory stem, the third pipe is Grade I also but with a hand cut Cumberland stem.

clickklick

Lifer
May 5, 2014
Before you massacre more grade 1 blocks, buy a few seconds and head over to pipemakersforum and read up on some techniques. This is the logical next step to take your craft to the next level.

clickklick

Lifer
May 5, 2014
Class has nothing to do with sincere honesty. I strive to better my own pipe making skills. I'm walking the same road. You post pictures here for praise, if you want to improve, you post them for critique elsewhere. It can be a tough road, but the only way to continue to improve.

clangillespie

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 7, 2015
Ironwood Michigan
This is why I stay away from Pipe Makers Forum, I sold 15 pipes last week, not bad for a hobby pipe maker that is learning, I spent 28 years in the auto industry, and this I do for me. I don't have lofty dreams of becoming a world class pipe maker, I make a solid functional tobacco pipe that doesn't cost a fortune, they aren't for everyone, but some people actually love the way they look and no one has ever said anything other than they are great smokers. Pipe makers forum has a history of some elitists members that hide behind they keyboard and bash people and yes some jerks, here is a post I found a while back when someone else told me I should visit the forum and this post is why I didn't. I have been getting help from several pipe makers, John Hines, Jonathan Lavezzo and some others, I am progressing slowly from my first pipe to my latest, but I am doing this because I enjoy it and the people who are buying my pipes are happy with them. I don't mean any disrespect to PMF, I am sure there are some good people there, but the idea of joining something so everyone there can teach everyone to make pipes the same way is not something I think I would enjoy. I use very basic tools and I admit I don't spend the extra time to make them perfect, but I think they are unique and probably more folk art than fine art, but I never set out to make fine art I set out to make a great smoking pipe and the opinions of other pipe makers doesn't mean a whole lot to me, I am beyond the point in my life where I am trying to impress others. Some of the members here have been very supportive and I post my pipes here once in a while when I think I have made some small improvement, not to get my ego stroked but to share my progress. ClickKlick I appreciate your private message to me as a follow up to your above post.

The following from Pipe Makers Forum, I'm not sure who Tyler is but he must be one of the admins.

I have been thinking a fair amount lately about the state of this forum. This used to be the place to go for pipe making information. The archives still hold the greatest collection of pipe making info available on the 'Net, I think it's safe to say. However, I'd say the forum is dying. I think that's sad.
Why do I say it's dying? My first data point is activity. There just aren't many posts. Second, new account activations are WAY down. I activate a handful a month now, and I used to activate 20+/wk.
Why is it dying? I think it's because we act like assholes, especially to new people. (E.g. Vegan thread, pipe makers guild.) It's all fun and games to joke and banter like the old friends we are, but it sucks to be a new guy and get hammered if you ask a question that's weird. There are now lots of places to find pipe making info. If I was new, I'll be honest, I wouldn't come here.
How'd it happen? Who knows? It's almost as if the culture of honest critique has morphed into a culture of always saying whatever comes to your mind. There is no reason honest critique and asshole-ism need to go hand in hand. It's good to filter your comments with the other person in mind. Encouragement is almost always more helpful than bashing.
So now what? I guess stop being an ass. Yeah, I'm talking to you. Start treating others like you'd like to be treated. I'm not saying all the joking and fun should stop, I don't think it should. I just think we should be considerate of the new guys, welcome them, and teach them. That's really what this forum is all about.
C'mon guys, we're about to screw this thing up. Let's not.
Tyler

clickklick

Lifer
May 5, 2014
That is completely fair. I've been beat up so much in my first 17 pipes over there that I forget that hobby pipe making should exist if not just to allow people to express themselves. I myself have a full time job and make pipes in my free time. That makes me a hobby pipemaker as well.
I make pipes as therapy and it has been easily forgotten amongst all of the bullshit about artisan pipes and pipe turds. This turn of events has actually made me question my view. If you make pipes and its fun and customers know you aren't making or selling high grade artisan pipes, what's the problem? As long as you and the customer are happy...
Thank you for reminding me why I started this endeavour in the first place. I am going to go do some contemplating and thinking. There is a place for hobby pipe makers, despite what has been ingrained in my head over the last 17 pipes about it being necessary to strive for perfection.
In which case forget everything I said in my other two posts. I think it's time that I start massacring some grade 1 blocks without feeling shame.

ejames

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
While not my cup of tea,although I do like that all briar, they look to be well made to me.

I hadn't seen that post by Tyler at the PMF, but I'm glad he did it. It is something that should have been said long ago. I've been a member there for 5-6 years but have only about a dozen posts,mostly because of the way newbies were sometimes treated. I do visit the site now and then hoping to learn a little.

foolwiththefez

Can't Leave
Sep 22, 2015
Sunny FL
I'd just like to chime in two points. @clickklick That was a very mature apology and I respect you for it. If it's not pouring salt in the wound would you mind would you mind telling me (maybe in PM) what you saw that made you say "massacre" in the first place? I'll admit I don't know the first thing about pipe making or how to judge and I see nothing wrong with these pipes. In fact, that brings me to point number two.
@clangillespie, pipe number 3 there is probably my favorite looking pipe I've ever seen. It is gorgeous. It's the first pipe I find myself saying "I wouldn't mind owning that even if I never smoked it." Keep up the good work. If these are early attempts I suspect you'll grow into a master artisan.

zack24

Lifer
May 11, 2013
I remember maybe 2 years ago when I started posting pictures on the forum of some really ugly pipes I was making - I got a lot of encouragement and suggestions for improvement that gave me enough motivation to go make pipe number 10, 20, or 30...and now probably close to 80 or so..I will always remember our first pipe show 2 years ago in Vegas where I carried 15 pipes priced at $400 or so and within 5 minutes realized that I was totally out of my league and that my work was crap ...and we cut our prices...and still sat there all weekend without selling a pipe...
The thing to remember is that most of us are certainly not going to get rich doing this- we do it because we love taking a block of wood, chasing the shape inside it, and hopefully improving a little as we go along...When you're first starting, you do so many things wrong, it's hard to get any meaningful critique- the cure for that is to make more pipes and keep trying to improve. After going to maybe 7 pipe shows in the past 2 years, I get a lot of suggestions for improvements from guys like Jeff, Tonni, Teddy, Bruce, Walt, Ryan,Nate and George. Those suggestions are sometimes like breadcrumbs- they won't spoon feed you the answers, but give you enough so you can take what you've already learned and build on it...
So keep those pictures coming of your latest creations....it's what helps make this forum great...:)

clangillespie

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 7, 2015
Ironwood Michigan
Thanks everyone, I think part of the appeal of my pipes are they are truly handmade, not turned on a lathe, people have different perceptions of handmade. I am not a pipe collector, I am a pipe smoker, a well made pipe to me is one that doesn't crack into 3 pieces if you drop it and it must smoke like a train. I make pipes that I would like to smoke and I don't ask $200 plus for them. Pipe makers don't consider a pipe well made unless it's perfect according to the standards and in comparison to historical pipe shapes. I get it, I understand and have great respect for those guys who can make a perfect pipe, I just cannot yet.

wcannoy

Can't Leave
Nov 29, 2012
Lakeland, FL
My first step, when asked to give a critique, is to ask the maker about their goals. My critique will be different for those striving to be a professional pipemaker than for those who just want to be a hobbyist and have fun.
I've seen you before. Well, not you exactly, but a hundred guys just like you who were trying to break in to the pipemking industry, and you are so transparent to me that I don't even need to ask what your goals are. Everything about your presentation, from your elaborately constructed professional looking website, to your constant and blatant solicitations here on the forum, suggests that you are trying to be seen as a professional pipemaker, when in fact the quality of your work and the verbiage on your site speak volumes as to how little you understand about pipemaking.
I understand you might find my frankness offensive. But it is you, sir, who have offended me.
Your "Philosophy on Tobacco Pipes" irishbriar.com/pipe-making, and your "About Our Pipes" irishbriar.com/about-our-pipes make a point to denigrate the methods used by every professional handmade pipemaker in the industry including myself. Using phrases such as "Our handcrafted pipes are produced with hand tools without the use of lathes and many power tools used by many other so called handmade pipe companies", and "lathe turned pipes that everyone with a shop churns out", only shows the depth of your ignorance. There are no full-time professional pipemakers that do not use lathes and power tools to make pipes.
Zack says that guys like me "won't spoon feed you the answers". Well, reading between the lines on your site and posts, I think your big question is "How can I become a successful pipemaker?"
I will gladly spoon feed you these answers. Be honest with yourself and with your potential customers about where you are in your pipemaking career. There's no shame in being seven months into the craft. We were all only seven months in at one point, and it doesn't matter to a buyer as long as they are getting a good value on a pipe they like. Like every successful business, put on your big-boy pants, stow the pride, and take every opportunity to soak up advice from those who have been successful in the industry for more than a couple of years; This includes most of those PMF "elitists" who, aside from hiding behind their keyboards all day, can also be found in person at major pipe events, out in the wide open public and usually wearing a big name tag. Finally, don't poo-poo on the methods used by professionals in the industry for at least the first ten years, after which time you will have been there, done that, and if you have stuck around, will have bought yourself a lathe.
PS- Why am I so critical of you at this point? Ask ClickKlick about running around like a loon.

Status
Not open for further replies.