Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Feb 12, 2022
North Georgia mountains.
I've been smoking this flake off an on for about a month now. The first couple bowls were kind of a miss for me. Didn't pick up the sweetness other reviewers mentioned, flavor was kinda flat, and all around just a "meh" smoke for me.

Well today I loaded up a bowl of this in my Savinelli Roma 316 and boy was I ecstatic to have achieved the smoke I was chasing. It was my first bowl of the day - early morning with my coffee.

First half of the bowl was a great Virginia flavor ; grassy, bready, slightly fruity but just barely. About halfway through the bowl, the bread flavor came out more as did the sweetness. While I didn't detect the topping others mention, I could taste a wonderful floral and creamy sweetness that was great. This sweetness never overpowered the flavor of the Virginia's, it was more of an after taste that accented the tobacco flavors. Throughout the entire bowl I detected a nice woody, nutty flavor as well that rounded off the overall flavor well.
This was a great experience and I'll be looking forward to some Silver Flake with a few years on it.

Attachments

• IMG_20220212_170031.jpg
    IMG_20220212_170031.jpg
    90.7 KB · Views: 6

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I've been smoking this flake off an on for about a month now. The first couple bowls were kind of a miss for me. Didn't pick up the sweetness other reviewers mentioned, flavor was kinda flat, and all around just a "meh" smoke for me.

Well today I loaded up a bowl of this in my Savinelli Roma 316 and boy was I ecstatic to have achieved the smoke I was chasing. It was my first bowl of the day - early morning with my coffee.

First half of the bowl was a great Virginia flavor ; grassy, bready, slightly fruity but just barely. About halfway through the bowl, the bread flavor came out more as did the sweetness. While I didn't detect the topping others mention, I could taste a wonderful floral and creamy sweetness that was great. This sweetness never overpowered the flavor of the Virginia's, it was more of an after taste that accented the tobacco flavors. Throughout the entire bowl I detected a nice woody, nutty flavor as well that rounded off the overall flavor well.
This was a great experience and I'll be looking forward to some Silver Flake with a few years on it.
Now smoke Sixpence.

Sir Yak

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 15, 2022
Arkansas

It’s funny how some blends can be like that. My first 2 bowls of Capstan Flake (blue) were something special. So far the rest of the tin has been very uninteresting. I’ve never smoked silver flake. Came across a tin at the Briary this summer but wound up grabbing something else instead.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
It’s funny how some blends can be like that. My first 2 bowls of Capstan Flake (blue) were something special. So far the rest of the tin has been very uninteresting. I’ve never smoked silver flake. Came across a tin at the Briary this summer but wound up grabbing something else instead.
If you ever buy any, jar it immediately. Those tins aren't sealed.