PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

litup

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 16, 2015
Sacramento, CA
Had to pass. When Kohlhase & Kopp reformulated many of their blends earlier this year, they just haven't been right since. HH Burley Flake and Aylesbury Luxury Flake have been my go to replacements.
I bought two tins of the Solani today, but I agree about the quality of HH Burley Flake as a replacement. The fact that it's always available is also a bonus.

seanv

Lifer
Mar 22, 2018
Canada
50g and 100 g tins were available on SP today. Limit of 2. They are sold out on SP now though. It will probably be available elsewhere if you keep looking

Tom-202

Lurker
Jun 23, 2023
ABF 656 is good stuff. I think the only two tins I have of the same tobacco were bought by accident (Windjammer, if I recall).

I was telling a friend I had maybe 35 blends. After counting I had 90. Oh my.

Had to create a Word doc with my ever-changing personal ratings. Fun hobby.

Reactions: ThermionicScott

sardonicus87

Lifer
Jun 28, 2022
Lower Alabama
I did, ordered 2 tins. Woke up to an email (was on subscriber list) and it was still available at noon so I ordered some. Never had Solani ABF before, I won't really know how it compares to what it used to be. I also grabbed a tin of Solani Gold Label English for the hell of it and a few other things to bump up enough to free shipping.

I was previously debating about C&D CRF before, but I passed on that for this instead since I'm not big on VAper anyway.

If nothing else and ABF has fallen from grace, at least it'll help me appreciate MB HH Burley Flake more than I already do (which is a lot, definitely top 3 burley for me, currently #1 favorite actually across the board regardless of genre).

Reactions: Scottmi

MRW

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 6, 2022
Fort Worth Texas
Any sign of Solani 633 Va with Perique? That's another one people have been waiting for.
In addition to the 2015 Solani 633 I have available on my sale posting, I have a 2017 SG Brown No. 4 and a 2016 Dunhill Flake available. Each of the aged Virginias will be a very enjoyable smoke!

Lot 6: 2017 Samual Gawith Brown No. 4 (1 ea) (50 g) - $90.00
Lot 7: 2016 Dunhill Flake (1 ea) (1.76 oz) - $90.00
Lot 4: 2015 Solani 633 Virginia Flake (1 ea) (50 g) - $50.00

garageboy

Might Stick Around
Jul 15, 2019
Had to pass. When Kohlhase & Kopp reformulated many of their blends earlier this year, they just haven't been right since. HH Burley Flake and Aylesbury Luxury Flake have been my go to replacements.
Which blends have people noticed this on?

Peter Turbo

Lifer
Oct 18, 2021
CT, USA
I never had any of the old stuff so I can’t compare but I do enjoy ABF, Silver and Yellow. I enjoy their aromatics like the Red Label as well.

Reactions: vosBghos

vosBghos

Lifer
May 7, 2022
Idaho
ABF was my favourite burley. Had a bowl of Dockworker last night, and two this evening, and not only is this now my favourite burley, may be my favourite blend. When it's bad, burley is very, very bad, but my God when it's good...
If you have not tried the silver flake you should, though it might dry out in the plastic bag in the non sealed tin and it doesn't have as much red as it used to it's still an amazing VaBur. It's easy to rehydrate, truly unique and not as hard to come by as the ABF and Va.