Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

May 2, 2018
Bucks County, PA
Yeah, it took me a while to figure out notes, flavors, etc. I mostly prefer to simply state I really like this blend, it tastes great and leave it at that. Kinda focus on the forest v. the ?s typa thing. ?‍♂️ When I smoke I go in and out of appreciation of flavors v. Whatever I’m thinking or doing at the time. I’m not a connoisseur or aficionado. I simply know what I enjoy. ☕

PS- 633 is a top notch VaPer for sure. ?

Last edited:

futureman

Can't Leave
Jul 9, 2011
Ohio (Displaced Central Texan)
Oops! I hit send before I could finish the review. Apologies to everyone. If I’m permitted to repost…

I’ve been smoking a pipe on and off for many years. My smoking hiatuses have kept me in the state of being a perpetual novice. Rarely can I pick out specific flavor notes or identify a blend’s varietals while smoking.

Last night provided a delightful exception. I came across a small jar of Solani 633 I had stored in 2013. It was rather dry. I have no recollection of ever smoking this. I decided to try it and refresh my memory.
The tobacco was already rubbed out; I didn’t have to wrestle with thick, moist flakes (I have no idea what this tobacco looks or feels like right out of the tin). My wife immediately remarked how much she enjoyed the room note; she rarely compliments the smell of my tobaccos—even those that are presumably endearing to bystanders.

And the taste? Incredibly layered. Waves of smooth sweetness alternating with fairly intense, spicy cinnamon notes. Not nearly as tart or citrusy as some other flakes I’ve smoked. I’ve read this particular flake becomes spicier as it ages. I can confirm this was in fact a spicy smoke, but not to the exclusion of the plummy sweetness also associated with perique blends.

Enjoying this blend really requires patient sipping. It becomes more intense, for me at least, towards the end of the bowl. Think of sweet, spicy raisins and you’ve almost got it.

I may have a new favorite.

monty55

Lifer
Apr 16, 2014
Bryan, Texas
Oops! I hit send before I could finish the review. Apologies to everyone. If I’m permitted to repost…

I’ve been smoking a pipe on and off for many years. My smoking hiatuses have kept me in the state of being a perpetual novice. Rarely can I pick out specific flavor notes or identify a blend’s varietals while smoking.

Last night provided a delightful exception. I came across a small jar of Solani 633 I had stored in 2013. It was rather dry. I have no recollection of ever smoking this. I decided to try it and refresh my memory.
The tobacco was already rubbed out; I didn’t have to wrestle with thick, moist flakes (I have no idea what this tobacco looks or feels like right out of the tin). My wife immediately remarked how much she enjoyed the room note; she rarely compliments the smell of my tobaccos—even those that are presumably endearing to bystanders.

And the taste? Incredibly layered. Waves of smooth sweetness alternating with fairly intense, spicy cinnamon notes. Not nearly as tart or citrusy as some other flakes I’ve smoked. I’ve read this particular flake becomes spicier as it ages. I can confirm this was in fact a spicy smoke, but not to the exclusion of the plummy sweetness also associated with perique blends.

Enjoying this blend really requires patient sipping. It becomes more intense, for me at least, towards the end of the bowl. Think of sweet, spicy raisins and you’ve almost got it.

And there it is!

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
I’ve been smoking a pipe on and off for many years. My smoking hiatuses have kept me in the state of being a perpetual nervous. Rarely can I pick up specific flavor notes or identify
write reviews. Seriously write reviews. You can share or not share them. But it's a neat neurological technique. Part of your "condition" is your brain doesn't think it's worth spending the extra RAM on identifying nuances and such. You plan on writing a review you'll suddenly start noticing things you never caught before. Why cause your brain says let's spend those resources on this.
An example of the same principle is how if you make a line of squares each one is a slightly different shade or hue of a color artists will actually see a larger number of squares then a non artist. A non artist will see something like two blues and two reds and etc where as an artist will see 8 or 12 different hues of each color. Why because their brain sees value in doing so where the non artists brain will not see value in that.
Honestly I think you'll be surprised at the outcome. It might not be dramatic but you'll wonder if someone switched your tongue with a better one. :)

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA

so you just found out the value of letting a blend breath before smoking it as well as letting it dry out a bit. Fresh out of the tin blends always taste flat and murky to me (aside from a few, Daughters and Ryan blends always came ready to go right out of the tin). Tins are designed for shipping and storage not for smoking. They get it to you in good shape and then you get it to where you want it and where it works best for you.
I remember when I discovered this. I let a tin dry out to where I almost just tossed it but was so glad I did not. There was so much going on that I really didn't expect and it was just so much better.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I love 633 and it ages really well. Most of mine is from 2012. When I was smoking it fresh it was great. I have loads of the square tins. I also bought 8 100 gram tins of the 2002 version and it is much different than than 2012. The 2002 is a pepper bomb which is great when I am in the mood for something that spicy. I smoke more of the 2012 version at this time. I don't think there is a better fresh Vaper on the market.

futureman

Can't Leave
Jul 9, 2011
Ohio (Displaced Central Texan)
I love 633 and it ages really well. Most of mine is from 2012. When I was smoking it fresh it was great. I have loads of the square tins. I also bought 8 100 gram tins of the 2002 version and it is much different than than 2012. The 2002 is a pepper bomb which is great when I am in the mood for something that spicy. I smoke more of the 2012 version at this time. I don't think there is a better fresh Vaper on the market.
Appreciate your input. I've followed many of your flake recommendations. Like you, I'm unable to tolerate blends containing red Virginias. Yet for 633 is almost entirely without bite.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Appreciate your input. I've followed many of your flake recommendations. Like you, I'm unable to tolerate blends containing red Virginias. Yet for 633 is almost entirely without bite.
You are more than welcome. I have no idea what they used in 2012 but it is great. I think trying to keep a blend consistent over the years is a hard thing and some do it better than others.

Eastmon

Might Stick Around
Jan 9, 2022
Vancouver, BC
I can’t imagine anything topping my VaPer list other than 633, but you never know.
I’ve got a bunch tucked away and buy all I can when available

Reactions: futureman