So You Can't Talk About Eating Crickets or The 2nd Amendment?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

rmpeeps

Lifer
Oct 17, 2017
San Antonio, TX
What happened is that about 9 years ago a number of members who evidently showed about as much self control as the average 2 year, got into a heated political chimp fight which resulted in an epic explosion that lost this forum dozens of members, either through banning, or basically telling each other to fuck off and die.

Pretty much came close to shutting the site down. And it took months for it to recover

Since then, political discussion has been banned. It's a pipe forum. There are plenty of other sites where you can share your lamentable ideological crap. It's not for here.

If you want to engage in a pipe forum with political content, take the risk and set it up. I participated in underwriting one such attempt and it devolved into a complete shit show, so I pulled the financial plug on it.

Boo hoo.
What happened 9 years ago?
If that matters now….

• Love
Reactions: beefeater33

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
What happened 9 years ago?
If that matters now….
There was a discussion about the Affordable Care Act. I was out of town at the time, so I came back to smoking ruins. All of the moderators were subjected to verbal attacks by the more involved participants. I did see posts with members calling each other names and expressing wishes for their ultimate demise, etc.

It wasn't pretty.

For weeks, the most interesting subject was a post about chicken soup.

Then we started the Starcat thread, which kind of worked as a cathartic for the forum's nervous breakdown.

NC TX ID pipeman

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 25, 2021
North Carolina,Texas,Idaho
If you can not talk about 2nd amendment in The USA,everytime you say something about California or mention the reason Why the gas is so high and threads are shut down because of that -there is something seriously wrong with America..It reminds me a country I left behind decades ago because all of that..As much I like this forum it is the most censored forums I am following..

telescopes

Pipe Dreamer and Star Gazer
If you can not talk about 2nd amendment in The USA,everytime you say something about California or mention the reason Why the gas is so high and threads are shut down because of that -there is something seriously wrong with America..It reminds me a country I left behind decades ago because all of that..As much I like this forum it is the most censored forums I am following..
Yes it is and because of that, for the most part, we can have great conversations about tobacco and our pipes. In peace without meltdowns.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
It's a pipe forum, not a TED conference. It's also a commercial site whose owner spends a lot of time and money on keeping it up to date and makes his living from it. The only thing "wrong" with America in this instance is an undeserved sense of entitlement.

telescopes

Pipe Dreamer and Star Gazer
Wrong...

Watch this....

I have a CCW permit issued by the State of California so I can protect my pipes while I smoke tobacco that burns and excretes various fumes, some of which are gas, which, like gas everywhere, tends to be lighter than air, and because of this fact, rises high into the atmosphere.

I am absolutely positive that no one will lock the thread on account of what I just stated.

rmpeeps

Lifer
Oct 17, 2017
San Antonio, TX
There was a discussion about the Affordable Care Act. I was out of town at the time, so I came back to smoking ruins. All of the moderators were subjected to verbal attacks by the more involved participants. I did see posts with members calling each other names and expressing wishes for their ultimate demise, etc.

It wasn't pretty.

For weeks, the most interesting subject was a post about chicken soup.

Then we started the Starcat thread, which kind of worked as a cathartic for the forum's nervous breakdown.
So any Act following is off limits due to 9yearold’s sensitivities?

Reactions: NC TX ID pipeman

rmpeeps

Lifer
Oct 17, 2017
San Antonio, TX
It's a pipe forum, not a TED conference. It's also a commercial site whose owner spends a lot of time and money on keeping it up to date and makes his living from it. The only thing "wrong" with America in this instance is an undeserved sense of entitlement.
Or any other conference.
Undeserved??!!
Rights are rights.

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
It is very censored. However, for the most part, that seems to work. I've been on other sites where it was far more wide open. They ultimately ended up where the majority of the exchanges were flame wars that had no relationship with the purpose or the core subject matter of the forum. They ultimately ended.

I wish people could have discussions about any subject matter and even be able to tolerate confrontation and strong disagreement without it ending up an all out war. My experience shows that's not the case. So while I wish this site was a bit more tolerant, I also understand why it isn't and am more than willing to tolerate that in order for it to survive long term. The positives far outweigh the negatives.

Status
Not open for further replies.